• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Any opinions on the Fender Eric Clapton Tremolux?

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
I've had one for awhile. It's different than the tweed deluxe. Fixed bias, one channel, ceramic speaker. Changes the deal in many ways. Volume knob taper is real easy to control. A tighter bass due to the fixed bias and ceramic speaker. It continually surprises me with the quality of sound. Beautiful cleans. It's the only amp out of dozens I've tried that doesn't sound significantly better with the TIM clean boost on. Different boosted - and I like that too - but not really necessary. A very sweet tone with just a little reverb. Lately I use it a lot with stacked clean boosts and a Bigfoot Magnavibe. That's a big sound for 12 watts. It sounds great at lower volumes, just as good alot higher. Good with humbuckers too, maybe best of all with minihumbuckers.

Fender got this one right. Not sure why they didn't fare too well in the market.
MD

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
I've had one for awhile. It's different than the tweed deluxe. Fixed bias, one channel, ceramic speaker. Changes the deal in many ways. Volume knob taper is real easy to control. A tighter bass due to the fixed bias and ceramic speaker. It continually surprises me with the quality of sound. Beautiful cleans. It's the only amp out of dozens I've tried that doesn't sound significantly better with the TIM clean boost on. Different boosted - and I like that too - but not really necessary. A very sweet tone with just a little reverb. Lately I use it a lot with stacked clean boosts and a Bigfoot Magnavibe. That's a big sound for 12 watts. It sounds great at lower volumes, just as good alot higher. Good with humbuckers too, maybe best of all with minihumbuckers.

Fender got this one right. Not sure why they didn't fare too well in the market.
MD
Well stated, Mad Dog. Actually, I think the Twinolux, the bigger brother to the Tremolux, also sounds MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better with a slight clean boost out front as well: it helps tighten the bass without tweaking the nice tone that's already present on the amp.

I own the fender eric Clapton tremolux comb amp. it was ok but since I replaced the celestion 12-65 stock speaker with celestion alnico gold there is a huge difference in tone. more bottom end crystal clear high's. I play avri 52 ri tele with a modded ts808. I got this amp at really good price $800. any question or comments welcome jbmannon@yahoo.com

Garysaki

MD
I think they didn't fare well due to the sky-high price and not having an Intensity for the Trem. I own one.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
I think they didn't fare well due to the sky-high price and not having an Intensity for the Trem. I own one.
You're right. I never used the built in trem, never thought about whether it was usable. Traded into a used one at a good price, so wasn't too concerned about a sky high price either. Had it been a question of buying one new, I would not have owned it.

Garysaki

I own the fender eric Clapton tremolux comb amp. it was ok but since I replaced the celestion 12-65 stock speaker with celestion alnico gold there is a huge difference in tone. more bottom end crystal clear high's. I play avri 52 ri tele with a modded ts808. I got this amp at really good price $800. any question or comments welcome jbmannon@yahoo.com
I didn't think there COULD be more bottom end than my stock Celestion! BTW, you stole yours! You can barely get a little Tweed 5 watt Champ for that.

Garysaki

You're right. I never used the built in trem, never thought about whether it was usable. Traded into a used one at a good price, so wasn't too concerned about a sky high price either. Had it been a question of buying one new, I would not have owned it.
Yup, mine was used at about the same price as a used 57 Tweed, so I grabbed it. Why there is no Intensity, though, is beyond me! The Trem will shake your house. I cannot imagine Clapton wanting that, nor can I recall any of his songs using an insane Trem. It's even too much for playing CCR !

Trending Topics