Any opinions on the Victoria 20112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coyoteblue, Feb 8, 2008.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Has anyone out there tried a Victoria 20112? Would you recommend this amp as an all purpose amp for blues, rock, country? It's a tweed style amp, I think. How's the clean? Does $1200 sound like a reasonable price? Thanks.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It's a Fender deluxe. The real clean headroom isn't going to be that great because it isn't designed to be, that being said it's an awesome tone and one of the best blues amps you could ever own. There is a tone of versatility in the simple controls because some interesting things happen; for example, as you turn up the tone control you will add preamp gain to the signal. This has the effect of being a quasi master. The volume controls are interactive and by manipulating one you can effect the tone of the other channel.

I had one of these for 2 or 3 years and loved it, I only sold it when I bought a Guytron and needed the cash. The amp weighs almost nothing and is loud enough for almost anything, especially if you use single coil guitars, if you use humbuckers it might mush out too much.

3. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for the info!

4. rockindog

rockindog Member

I have a Victoria 20112 Deluxe w/ a Weber 30 W AlNiCo Blue Dog. I usually play a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster through mine. FWIW, I have found that my 20112 just doesn't sound good with humbuckers. To much compression and saturation, not enough clean headroom. YMMV. I use a HBE Germania pedal to brighten up the tone a little, and dial out some of the mid emphasis the tweed amp topology, cathode bias, and phase inverter (split load?) contribute. The amp is very juicy sounding and nails the Eric Clapton Layla tone, and to some extent, the early Billy Gibbons tone as well. It is a great amp for blues guitar in small to medium venues. Absolutely no rattle with mine.

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have a Mission amps 5e3 clone that I built and I love it. My lone experience with Victoria was playing through a 5112 and it was the coolest sounding amp I ever heard in a store demo.

I disagree that they sound bad with humbuckers. Billy Gibbons and Mark Knopfler disagree as well. It depends on what you are trying to do with the amp of course and how hard you are pushing it. It might be the worlds most perfect low stage volume amp - and I don't even play the blues. I play mine with an attenuator everywhere I go (mic'd of course). You can't beat tweed. the most musical line of amps ever produced IMO.

6. rockindog

rockindog Member

I thought this was a thread on the Victoria Tweed Deluxe? Yes?

And I don't recall saying that "they sound bad with humbuckers".:BEER

7. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

Get one and put a Weber speaker in it.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I think they are really nice, but they have a big drawback for me - they rattle. Definitely try before you buy, as the rattle would drive me nuts, but others don't notice it.

Bryan

9. KazJY

KazJY Member

I love this amp - if you can get one for $1200 (new??), jump on it - I've seen them go used around this price, give or take. Sweet stuff, especially with single coils. - As has been discussed - humbuckers still sound good, but like the other poster said - it mushes out a bit.

The newer ones have a standby switch too, actually, just FYI.

10. monstermike

monstermike Member

Yes. I made a whole record with a Victoria Deluxe, and at no point during the session did I feel the need to try anything else.

11. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

They only rattle if the back panel is too tight.

I love them. I think they sound outstanding.

12. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for all the comments..by the way the price was for a used one. I'll check it out tomorrow.

13. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've got a Vicky 20112-T(a 20 watter)and luv it.Mine is tubed with 50's RCA' through out and has a Jensen P12N speaker.A great amp for single coils.The low end can get flubby with humbukers.Not much clean headroom but,that's not what the tweeds are for anyway.$1200 is a good uded price.

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Actually your post says 'FWIW, I have found that the 20112 just doesn't sound good with humbuckers.". Sorry if I misunderstood your intent. Either way I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just offering a different opinion.

And a 20112 is a 5e3 clone, like mine. I realize there might be some small tonal differences between my clone and the Victoria clone, but I don't think it is out of line to give opinions about the 5e3 in general, even though it is a Victoria 5e3 thread specifically.

Anyway, Victoria makes great amps, but in general the 5e3 is just a great little guitar amp design that in my opinion is hard to beat. Whether Victoria makes it or not.

slimfinger likes this.
  15. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I own the Victoria 20112 and love the classic fender tweed deluxe tone but found that it was hard to play with a band live due to the low headroom. I changed the stock speaker to a Eminence Wizard there by going from 93 dB sensitivity to 103 dB, this is like doubling the volume three times, now the amp is easy to gig with and the Wizard has better tone than the stock Jensen ever had. This is really a huge difference and those who own a 5E3 style amp should give it a try, people can't believe how much sound that little amp puts out.

16. rockindog

rockindog Member

Thought I would post a photo of the immaculate wiring and components on my Victoria Tweed Deluxe. This thread could use some eye candy.

[​IMG]

17. sam30328

sam30328 Member

Picked up a 20112 Victoria in Dec. It has turned out to be one of the best amps I've owned (of approx. 37).Huge improvement if you play through better speakers---best so far is a 2x12 Avatar with 2 Celestion Heritage Hs .Even sounds great with a Les Paul--you will think you're playing a Marshall amp with better note defnition.
    Cab rattle is usually caused by upper back panel vibrating against amp chassis--a small wedge will usually eliminate the vibration.Using a separate speaker cab also solves the problem.

18. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I was the second (or possibly third) owner of a Vickie 20112; sold it a couple months ago with a Weber 12F150 for $800. Sounded nice, but I built a couple of my own that sounded just as nice. :)

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have been using a 20112 for a while now and it is a great sounding amp. I use a 12AY7 in V1 for a little more head room and I put a Emi Red Fang Alnico speaker in it (very tight fit but it works) the speaker really makes the amp usable for gigs as mentioned before a better speaker ads head room and volume.

With a Tele these things are magic.

To compare I my amp prefrences I have recently sold a 1965 Princeton, a 1965 Pro reverb a bad cat tone cat and a matchless lighting (only for other gear purtchases and I will get another cuz those are really great amps). The tweed 20112 is a great all around low moderate volume amp.

I like this amp so much that now I am thinking of selling some other gear to fund a Victoria Bandmaster (3x10).

20. jay42

jay42 Member

Wouldn't the Double Deluxe be more versatile? I don't know if it's built with one cathode RC pair for all four 6V6s or two pair. If two pair, then you can pull a couple of them for less power, when inclined.

slimfinger likes this.