• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any opinions towards these two clips...(Glaswerks GW112XL w EVM12L, etc...)

hottub

a comparison with an EVM12L loaded Glaswerks cab and a 2x12 Z-Cab with G12-65's. Actually, I dig the tones from both, but I thought it would be neat and maybe of some interest to post the clips. It's my first time ever playing thru an EVM12L and I'll have to admit it was a little different at first but after some knob twisting, I can say I'm really digging it.
Was wondering what differences you all hear on your end...good, bad or indifferent. I think I'm hearing a little something different in the mids and/or top end. And the EV seems to be tighter in the low end.
In both cases the guitar sits atop the mix and the EV clip may be a bit louder, just because its a louder speaker and I didn't mess with any knobs when changing between the cabs. A Zoom H2 was used to capture the sounds in the room.

G1265 clip
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7465635

EVM12L
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7465637

:BEER

Last edited:

doveman

I liked your clips ... yes ... interesting to me.

I have both of these speakers ... playing through a Brown Note D'Lite 22/33. I like them both too. Your clips show what I've noticed. The G1265 has a bit more mids ... the EVM12L has a tighter bass and I find that you can pump up the bass on the amp and still stay tight. The EVM12L has a really wonderful growl when the OD is growling ... the speaker just lets it through well I think. There is a bit more high end on the EVM and it's definitely louder. I do think that 2x12 is better for the g1265 as my 1x12 g1265 gets a bit flabby on the low end when I really pump my 33w amp. The EVM12L can stand alone in a 1x12 better live.

Well I've got this idea ...

D'Lite 33w head (on top of)
Brown Note Open Back 1x12 w/G1265 (on top of)
Coyote Convertible Back Slant 1x12 w/EVM12L

A small 2x12 stack ... slant cab should be here Tuesday

I'm thinking since the G1265 is not quite as loud it might balance well with the EVM on stage ... can mic either one. If I don't like it, I'll load both with the same speaker ... probably the EVM12L.

I just ordered (Cotote Cabs on Ebay ... since some have asked) this slant back 1x12 convertible to go on the bottom of this stack ... replacing the 2x10 (about the same height). It will be exactly the same width and depth on the top of the slant cab. I've ordered the cover, grill, piping and hardware to be exact match.

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
I seem to always prefer an EV12L. It seems that everything you put into one comes out with little coloration. The highs and upper mids seem kinda clipped off or something on the celestions. They don't sound bad just not as open and full as the EV.

onemind

I thought they both killed, but the Z-Cab had a slightly more musical tone to me, I don't know if my ears are wonky this a.m. but I thought the EV sounded a tiny bit compressed. Seems to contradict the previous post...

hottub

hey thanks for checkin them out guys. always nice to get some different 'ears' and perspectives.

doveman, that coyote cab looks really nice. and what a great idea to have the speaker slanted upwards like that. looks like you're gonna have a killer rig there.

Mike

Veelllly intelesting. Every time I think I may want to try an EV with my TR's over the years, I end up going back to the Celestions. Your clips reinforced that again for me.

Thanks for doing that!

Mike

pinner

Silver Supporting Member
Nice clips Tub! Hope all is well. Between the two I still prefer the highs and mids of the 12-65's. For me the evms are too uncolored especially in the cleans. Thats what I noticed most when Scott let me try both before I ordered my cab/speaker. I also like the gummyness of the lows with overdrive from the 12-65s. Neat texture. I do admit its gets a little flabby with high volume in a 1x12 format. I am interested in playing through Scott's protype Fane 'Medusa' 150. I saw him play throught it a NXNW and it sounded great. Kind of the mids and highs of the 12-65 and tighter lows of the evm. Though I did hear it only once. Excited to try it. Be well.

hottub

hey Steve! sup bro. after a nights sleep and going back to listen to them with fresh ears....I know what you mean. I'm a sucker for that tighter low end, but I see what you mean about the mids and highs of the 65's. Just can't seem to get the tightness out of them, the 65's, that I want. Maybe more 'tweaking' is needed...LOL
Hey those Medusa's sound interesting.

doveman

I wonder how much a sealed cab would tighten up that flabby bottom end. I might try thr g1265 in the coyote cab first. :D

NFB

Sounds like the two were recorded in a different manner............

The guitar levels for each seem very different.........

hottub

that's true. I probably didn't use the most "controlled" environment. in fact, the zoom H2 may not have even been placed in exactly the same spot each time.

Generally though, I think some of the nuances I hear would probably be masked to a certain degree in a full band context.

What I didn't expect is the 'feel' as you play thru each cab and speaker. Each cab and speaker seems to 'play' differently.

NFB

that's true. I probably didn't use the most "controlled" environment. in fact, the zoom H2 may not have even been placed in exactly the same spot each time.

Generally though, I think some of the nuances I hear would probably be masked to a certain degree in a full band context.

What I didn't expect is the 'feel' as you play thru each cab and speaker. Each cab and speaker seems to 'play' differently.

I actually liked the g1265's way better than the EVM, and that is not generally the case.

mykljpao

The ev's are much more hifi and a more revealing speaker. I use a Trutone custom vert 2x12 with my Fuchs ods. The 2x12 just gives a bigger overall sound even at the same volume as using a 1x12. However, 1265s are loaded into my TR Sig cab and sound fabulous with a CR Sig. I much prefer them with that head especially loaded into the sig cab (I've never bothered to swap out spkrs in that cab). The 1265s add some of their own compression and sag to the sound that is missing in the ev's. More organic. The ev's provide a quicker more punchy and immediate sound. I really don't think one is better than the other. Just quite different. BTW: the H2 did a nice job of capturing the sound.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
hard to tell since you start the 1265 on the high strings and the 12L on the low strings. Sounds like the treble was turned down for the 12L clips too.

doveman

Well I've got this idea ...

D'Lite 33w head (on top of)
Brown Note Open Back 1x12 w/G1265 (on top of)
Coyote Convertible Back Slant 1x12 w/EVM12L

A small 2x12 stack ... slant cab should be here Tuesday

I'm thinking since the G1265 is not quite as loud it might balance well with the EVM on stage ... can mic either one. If I don't like it, I'll load both with the same speaker ... probably the EVM12L.
Well the Coyote cab looks great ... just need to put my matching grill/piping.

But there is no doubt that the EVM is so much louder that I can't use them together ... the EVM has better tone for me ... as well. But people are different and I've been playing these EVMs for 30 years. YMMV

Trending Topics