Any Orange amp fans here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by exodus, Jan 11, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

Any of you guys Orange amp fan? I've been looking at the Rocker 30 or AD30 for a small combo to do classic rock tones. Anyone like (or perhaps dislike) them?

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dude I had an AD15-12 that was out of this world. Need my but kicked for getting rid of it. Sold it so I could buy a Flavor of the Month Amp eveyone was raving about. Really wish I hadnt done that. I chunked the new amp shortly after.

The bad thing is I found a really good deal in the one I had and sold it for a $300.00 profit but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another good deal to come around.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, there are a number of Orange lovers around here. I've got a Rockerverb 50. I've played the the AD30 but have not played a Rocker 30 yet. I hear only good reports though. Perhaps Luke can jump in here; he's got one and I know he's quite fond of it.

I liked the fact that on the Rockerverbs, the two channels are distinctly different yet work together perfectly (in terms of their voicing). The clean channel provides GOBS of clean headroom. The dirty channel goes from very mild gain to moderately high level of gain. Excellent reverb (on the RockerVERB series) and effects loop...unfortunately not available on either AD or the Rocker 30.

I think Adrian Emsley (the chief scientist at Orange) is done a fantastic job with his recent circuit designs. I don't know of any other amps that sound like these.

4. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

I've owned the AD30 and an OR80. VERY different beasts, but VERRRRRRY cool!!!

Unfortunately, a late spat of GAS forced my hand at selling the AD30, but I'll definitely own another!!!!

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

I was just about to do a post about Orange amps. This forum seems to either ignore them, or not know about them. I love the Orange tone. Thick, responsive, and as LeonC says, the feel. I love the way they react to your playing, it feels so good. I chose the R30. It can be very old school, I don't chan. switch, I use my guitar to go from semi clean to dirty, and a Keeley ts9 and Tim to augment the tone. I have the 1x12 combo , that I bought for a jam, small gig, or when I was too lazy to take my 4x12 cab and amp. What a surprise. I haven't used my Marshall since. This thing is really fat/thick. I did replace the v30 with a Scumback 12H-55, because I was used to my old Marshall cab. The Rocker 30 uses 2 cathode biased el34s, which sounds alot different than fixed biased el34. These amps love single coils. I played through the Marshall for 15 years, been playing through the Orange since July. Orange has a it's own tone. Doesn't try to copy others. I'm sold.

6. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

A recent acquisition of a Rockerverb 50 combo has allowed me to cut down to "just 2" amps- Mojave Peacemaker and the Orange. I can let the Vox, the Fender and the Bogner go. Next month, who knows?

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

hehe. I sold off my Mojave Scorpion after I got the Rockerverb.

8. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Peacemaker line out -> effects -> Orange RV50 clean channel or effects loop return

9. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

I have a mint Orange AD15/12 that I recently bought off eBay after a lot of looking. It's a great sounding amp that I look forward to playing daily. I know that it's not "point to point wired", but it is solid and has a signature sound that can't be denied.

10. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I have a Rocker 30 head on layaway. Can't wait!!!

11. Occam

Occam Member

I'm more interested in their vintage amps and even more specifically Matamp's. I have a Matamp GTL140, C7 and an Electric Amp non-master 120 which is bascially an old Matamp design now made in the US by the guy that used to import Matamp's. I haven't heard the new Rocker amps...I'm typically not a fan of amps with too many knobs and channel switching and the only AD140 I've heard sounded very un-Orange like to me but fairly good or at least better than a Marshall JCM2000 or Mesa Recto but that isn't saying a hell of a lot.

12. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

ad30 is an excellent amp. go with a 2x12 combo.. OH MAN. i have loads and loads of clips if you're interested.

13. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Yeah Could you post them?

I definately want to get an ad30tc... but can't decide between the 2x12 combo or head. It would be nice to run the head on top of a 4x12.. but I love the sound of the open back cab too..

probably leaning towards the combo

Thanks

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

HUGE fan of the original OR80 and 120s...
    Looking forward to trying some of the new ones, particularly the Rocker head.
    Yeah - Leonc's clips are great. Would be cool to hear some of yours Alex...

15. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I wanted to re-test this proposition and I haven't sold my Vox yet so I hooked it up to an open back 2x12 with Celestion Blues and I am liking it a lot. Then I switch over to the Rockerverb 50 through a 4x12 V30 cabinet and to my ears it stands above. Then I hook the Rockerverb through the V30 and the Blues cabinets both at the same time and I'm just loving it. I had to take a break when a heavy glass (Duralex) vibrated off the TV and smashed on the tile from about 5 feet high.

So, yes the Vox is sweet but it is still going out for sale, even with NOS tubes I put in there. The Rockerverb is very, very nice....

16. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

i currently use an Orange AD30tc combo... 2x12, and its fantastic! i'm in a band with Adelphi710, we have a few songs up. PM one of us if you want to hear the amp in a song or two. i dont have any clips alone though.

17. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Is it you or your other guitarist with the Bad Cat? Did you guys use in any of the new stuff?

18. fuzzardnuttz

fuzzardnuttz Member

Just sold a dual terror (great amp) to fund a rockerverb 50 mk II purchase. Really excited for it to get here. Just wanted the eq and fx loop mostly. Orange tone is unlike any other. It's perfect imo

19. JackVanPage

JackVanPage Member

I have an ad30. Orange has awesome thick tones. I love them. You could get 2 open backs or an open and a close back with a head. that's what I have. best of both worlds!

20. BetterDaze

BetterDaze Member

I have an OR15 and I pretty much in love with it....I have never been able to such a thick, fat tone with harmonic overtone while just being on the edge of crunch.....I am sold on the small wattage as well as I can turn the baby up to 6/7 with the band and get the power tubes cooking....I use a PPC212 and an Avatar 2x12 with creambacks both sound great but this weekend I am looking at using both and considering opening up (convertible back) the Avatar to get the best of both worlds....

Its as close to that AC/DC plexi power as I have ever gotten in club sized rig....