Any Orange Users Out There?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by delay_monster, May 16, 2006.

1. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I recently purchased an Orange (about a year ago from New Orleans Music Exchange, which I don't believe survived the storm) AD30, and I've been quite happy with it. Great Brit sounds, though I don't often have the opportunity to turn it up to proper levels (like anywhere past five or six!).

Any other Orange users out there? Anyone else wanna share pics or experiences with Orange amps? I'm trying to round up us citrus-y people to form a little Orange family :).

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

3. Keld

Keld Member

happy Orange Retro 50 convert here. I'm over at the Orange forum also, but would like to see more Orange love here.

Cheers,

Keld

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Rockerverb lover here.

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

Rocker 30 combo, love it.

6. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

just got a rocker 30 combo, and im in love....its great....im not sure about the stock tubes and speaker....any suggestions on replacing those? also, what pedals are you guys using with your orange's?

7. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

My AD15-12 is great. I have been looking for an AD30 (single channel) head, but they seem to be pretty rare at this point.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Retro 50 lover hear. Cranked mine today thru a Germino 2x12 with Scumback SA12H75HPs - BEAUTIFUL!

9. Phineas

Phineas Member

RV50 and RV100 lover here. These are the best dual switchers out there for the tones i need and the mv, reverb and fx loop are all top notch.

10. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Rockerverb 50, just sold my Rocker 30 combo to finanace a Matamp.

11. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I want to be an Orange owner. Someday in the not too distant future, I'm sure.

:dude

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well...I wouldn't describe it that way (though this really depends on how you define those terms like grit, fizzle, etc.) But the dirt channel doesn't go to "all the way clean", IMO. So there is this "gap" between the natural channel and the dirty channel, IMO. Also, I don't think of the Orange's overdrive sound as fizzly, I think of it as prickly. It is different from say Marshall, Vox, Fender; so I can understand why some people aren't going to like it...and others are: it's different.

13. brent

brent Member

I found this to be more pronounced with the 30 I had vs in the 50, which seems to have a better gradual onset of the gain, but neither would go all the way clean. "Prickly" is a good word but a lot of that is in how you attack it, for as much gain as it has the Orange has a sweet spot about noon on the lead gain where it is really touch sensitive.

14. Braddock

Braddock Member

Rocker 30H owner here! I was so close of buying AD30 single channel head but someboby bought it just a day before I went buy it. Damn I was pissed!! They are really hard to find now...

Well Rocker 30H is also great amp so I'm almost over the dissappointment of not getting that damn AD30. Maybe one day I'll have the money to buy Retro 50. Then that lost AD30 isn't going to be issue anymore ;)

15. rekoj

rekoj Member

the Orange OR120 is on top of my 'want-to-buy' list

16. minesaguinness

minesaguinness Member

Rockerverb 50 PPC2x12 - and having used this set up for last year there is nothing out there I would swap it for.

I have swapped out one of the V30's in the PPC212 for a G12H to help flatten out the fairly pronounced mid hump of the V30 - primarily for the benefit of the clean channel. The V30 is however voiced perfectly for the Orange dirty sound IMHO.

My band's sound spans rootsy acoustic + piano, clean jazz + piano, dirty jazz rock fusion + piano, and full on straight rock... this amp does the whole shooting match with no fuss.

Thanks to Leon and Billy (over on the Orange forum) for turning me onto the GCX - these two work well together and set up and break down is < 5mins for gigs, so I'm on my second cup of tea (?) whilst the rest of the crew are still busy.

[​IMG]

17. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

As it should be. Unfortunately, Vintage Oranges are going up in value, especially in the states. I was lucky enough to get a late 70s OD120 (an OR120 with a master volume which is one of the best master volumes out there). An amazing amp. The only drawbacks are there is only one channel and no standby switch.

18. Figher53

Figher53 Member

AD30TC owner here, and it's a keeper. I switched out one of the stock V30's with a G12H and added beam blockers. Stock tubes are gone as well, with NOS GE 5751's in one channel, reissue GT 12AX7M's in the other and EI el84's. It loves Pauls, Strats, Tele's, and especially my PRS Archtop. I feed it with a modded TS9 and a Barber DD. No complaints whatsoever...

19. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

My best friend was in Britain a few weeks ago, and told me about how he played an Orange custom shop amp (the AD50 or Retro 50) for two hours straight. According to him, it had incredible dynamics and utterly blew away the Marshall Handwired amps he also tried out. Sadly, he was around 2,000 pounds short, so he had to leave without it.

I hear that Matamp is building stuff like the original Oranges (and new custom shop stuff) at a great price, and they're handwired and everything. The AD series and Rockerverbs look great, but apparently are not the same sound as the late 60s/early 70s amps.

20. minesaguinness

minesaguinness Member

Matamp is building stuff and you can pretty much get semi-custom from them... http://www.matamp.co.uk/

You are right the AD and Rockerverbs are not same amps as the 70's amps. I used to play Graphic in the mid/late seventies (albeit not my own) with the Les Paul I had at the time.

In my humble opinion current Orange amps are as good as anything previously produced and compare very very favourably in terms of capability / £ (or$) with anything else out there.

I can dial up early Orange amp sounds as near as dammit with the RV50 (master up, and control off gain). Leon has demonstrated couple of times the capability of the master volume.

I think Ade Emsley has produced some amps that take some beating. I spent a while testing out Bad Cats (and old Matchless), Diezels and all kindsa stuff but the clean on the RV50 sold it to me there and then... and the traditional Orange grit comes for free - just be careful with that there gain knob.

My previous amps (apart from the early borrowed graphic) span Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50, Vox AC50 head, Fender Twin (back ache), Peavey Classic 30 which I got after being in an acoustic trio for 10 years and getting back into elecric and I still use as a practice amp and my current RV50 rig... this spans 30 years.

[EDIT] - you also got to bear in mind there was a plentiful supply of high quality (military grade) valves around in the '60's and '70's - not so today (I still got a bunch of Mullard / Brimar / STC etc valves knocking about in my box'o'bits). It's taken a fair old while to get valve production quality anywhere near where it used to be. However, it's getting there - amps used to get shipped with, arguably not so good quality Sino valves, currently tend to get shipped with EH - which I've had in both current amps and have proven reliable and sound fine.
    Cheers
    Brian