Any other "born with it" guys on here?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by james..., Jun 25, 2014.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I don't understand why everyone is thinking this guy is crazy. I think everyone is born with some innate talents. His sounds like it is in music. Mine is in calculus. I got 100% in my college calculus class without studying at all. It was the easiest class I ever took in my life. All my friends were failing it after studying long hours. Everything was completely clear for just like this guy is describing. So yeah, this stuff is real.

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

As you know, I also do a lot of teaching although I was later to the party - it's been about 15 years since I've gotten into teaching deeply - and the thing I think that's taken place that really helps my playing is that I'm constantly reviewing fundamentals. And I'll tell you - the longer I play and the older I get, the more I feel those fundamentals are the key

3. Dajbro

Dajbro Supporting Member

Amen!

4. mike walker

mike walker Member

I've been trying to push this in Colleges for a few years now....
    Great to hear Sonny Rollins still talking about practicing fundamentals at age 84!

Maybe the guys who feel the need to skip them and get straight to the gravy
    will heed the words of the rhythm guru that Sonny is.

5. Pitar

Pitar Member

Self taught, no books, fingerstyle from the beginning and able to rip Classical Gas off the fretboard and strings of a Yamaha FG230 12 string within a year of taking up guitar.

Virtuoso? Hardly! I played 3-4 hours a night and countless hours on the weekends. Six months in I knew what I was going to hear from any place on the board and what to do with my picking hand to play it. In that period of time I developed the skills of timing, listening (ear) and dexterity (playing).

To take me where I ended up that 1st year I became virtually joined at the hip with a turntable. I could pick the stylus up and place it back on an LP exactly where I needed to repeat what I was trying to learn. That's how I developed my ear. Everything I did with that method taught me where the sounds I was listening for were on the fretboard, along with the meter.

In my case, I have to deny being one of those "born with it" virtuosos. I worked to learn what I know. At the end of that 1st year I could pretty much jam with anyone as long as I knew the progression. But, I also learned early on that I had zero tolerance of anyone who didn't discipline themselves to learning music like I did, which included most players I met or knew, so I became a soloist. In my small world since then I've only met a few like me and, similarly, they're also soloists.

6. ademus

ademus Member

I don't know squat. :) But, how can you determine that you did not experience some type of stimulus at a critical developmental moment?

Cheers, Mr.R!

7. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

Very believable story and yes, some people can hear the music in their head and then play it. It just comes natural to some and with a little bit of practical application they can surpass many of us who spend hours and years of hard work.