Any other "born with it" guys on here?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by james..., Jun 25, 2014.

1. hacker

hacker Member

LMAO. Now this read like the Penthouse Forum letter for TGP!

In all honesty, there are naturally gifted players in every town. I knew 3-4 in my town alone, and no, they never went anywhere with music.

But they could shred and play things like Eruption and Crazy Train note for note within the first year of picking up the guitar.

My college roommate could learn any song by ear and was a monster shredder as well as a finger style classical player with only two years of playing.

2. monty

monty Member

I'm literally LOL. Good stuff guys!

3. The bear

The bear Member

I learned how to speak Italian fluently after spending two weeks there as a teenager. No formal training, everything just came naturally.
    Have to sign off now, about to border my private jet with Katy Perry, let's hope I don't spill champagne all over her this time, lol!

4. james...

james... Supporting Member

Guys...it was a blues jam. (The guitar equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel) I didn't even think that story was a cool brag. Guys in here acting like I just deemed myself Vai 2.0...

I think compared to most guys I'm just "pretty good to decent." But all those guys I know have good theory knowledge too.

5. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I am the polar opposite of 'born with it'. I have been at it for 30 years and there are still kids with 2 years experience that can smoke me. Some are truly born with it, an understanding, an ability to "see" things in a certain way. Like a graphic artist (a real one, not a mouse mover) or a coder. My "born with it' skills would be in problem solving. I WISH it were in guitar playing!

A lot of 'born with it' guys just happen to do things a new or special way.. like Albert King for example.

6. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I listened to James's Soundcloud Stuff. I actually really liked it. Nicely done! You clearly are quite talented.

7. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Also, to answer the original question, I was NOT born with it and I had to scrape and fight for what little I now have. People with natural talent for stuff like that amaze me.

8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

James - just take the feedback and learn from it. Your post obviously rubbed a lot of very reasonable people the wrong way. Accept it and move forward. Some sort of a mea culpa and a restatement of the original natural ability premise might be worthwhile.

9. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

And here we have JonR with a snap crew of TGP members probing a dead natural born guitarist for theory.

[​IMG]

10. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I call BS.

11. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I guess the posters have to determine if this thread is a joke or a case of egomania.

12. Goo Fighters

Goo Fighters Member

Ya think? :idea

13. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

You got to be kidding, this guy was just joking. Did you really think you were busting his chops? That's even more funny than his post. lol

I have some beautiful swampland for sale, you could build your dream house on it.

jes messin with ya, lol

14. Jack_TheGuitarMan

Jack_TheGuitarMan Member

I understand the "born with it" thing, but i think that we are not born with the ability to play guitar naturally. I think that we can be born with the ability to to learn how to play guitar easily.

15. JPF

JPF Member

No no no. I was there. It was wikkid pissah. CowTipton was so awesome I forgive him for totally seducing my girlfriend and slaying the adoring crowd with just one note. And what vibrato! I mean, who can win a jazz crowd over with a quivering one-note solo? - CT can ( and did)!

16. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

I liked the Herbie Hancock post, reminded me of my natural talent.

17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Supporting Member

have any recordings or songs youve written?

18. JonR

JonR Member

Actually that's me on the slab. I hate it when they tickle...

19. Pickin4Jesus

Pickin4Jesus Member

I know several musicians who "play by ear" very, very well. They can tell you the key they are in but that's about it. Some are piano players, guitar players and steel players. Most grew up around music and just picked it up. No theory studies at all. Born with this talant? I don't know but pretty amazing.

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

There are those who do it well. And then there are those who tell you how well they do it.

I've never heard a truly gifted and talented player talk about how easy it is for him.