• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Any other "born with it" guys on here?

Cornbread

Same thing happened to me.

I was at a jazz club just having a few drinks with some friends when the call came "does anyone play guitar?" Apparently ol' Lou came down sick that night and the trio needed someone to fill in. My friends all immediately started pointing to me and whooping and hollerin' until I was shamed into going on stage just so they'd stop.

So the keyboard player John turns to me and says "you know any theory boy?"
I said "Sure. Evolution, relativity, you name it. But I don't need to know string theory to play the twanger."

He says, " we play 26-2, can you hang?"
And I replied, "26-2, 26-3, whatever it takes. I'll just wing it dude."

After three songs the crowd was in a frenzy and they carried me off stage on their shoulders because they had never heard anything so amazing in their lives. Herbie Hancock was there and he came up to me with a pretty girl no more than 19 years of age. He said "Please, I beg you. Impregnate my grandaughter so that my bloodline will have this natural musical talent in their blood." And when the bedding ceremony was complete I walked out of the club and into a waiting limousine while the gathered crowd along the velvet rope line sang "nuk su kow, nuk su kow, nuk su kow!"

I always wondered if I was alone, until now.
Welcome to the club James.
Finally, some truth!!

nuk su kow, nuk su kow, nuk su kow!

Dude....I really liked that one song where you played 16th notes on the low E string. And that one where you did the same thing on the D string. Wicked.

lowyaw

there's an interview with Steve Vai, who confesses: "i have very little natural talent.. i had to really practice a lot"
Steve f**g Vai

:)

Petethekiller

I've never been the type to just pick up songs by ear quickly despite hearing them play in my head exact. There is some disconnect between hands, instrument and brain going on.

ericjohnson

There's something to be said about putting in hard work for something (someone) you love. I'm a fourth generation musician and I wouldn't attribute my musicality to "being born with it" more than just being exposed to great music and great musicians early on in life. Somethings have come naturally and some things have taken a ton of work. Us guitar players are travelers on a journey that has no destination. We will always strive to get better, do better.

monty

No natural talent here, but I was born stubborn so when I decided I had to play guitar it was gonna happen.

Swain

I call BS.

I was there.

INCREDIBLE night!

I sold all of my musical equipment that night and now just travel along trying to catch all of his shows around the country. I make a living by selling my macramé bracelets that bear the "nuk su cow" chant.

:anon

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I was there.

INCREDIBLE night!

I sold all of my musical equipment that night and now just travel along trying to catch all of his shows around the country. I make a living by selling my macramé bracelets that bear the "nuk su cow" chant.

:anon
I'd like to order 4. Do you take PP?

Swain

Guys...it was a blues jam. (The guitar equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel) I didn't even think that story was a cool brag. Guys in here acting like I just deemed myself Vai 2.0...

I think compared to most guys I'm just "pretty good to decent." But all those guys I know have good theory knowledge too.

Man, I think everyone is just having fun. I wouldn't sweat it.
It's like a poke in the ribs and giving you shi..... for whatever they can latch on to.

Now, here's a noogie.

:bonk

Goo Fighters

Learn some music theory and guitar theory and you'll be unstoppable. I was a paid player in a band on rotation with another guy who could really shred and he was pretty much always in key. He was totally an ear player and knew no theory. Here's the thing. When an orchestra came in and I had to play a part note-for-note with sheets I could do it. They didn't call the other guy. We both could play by ear and do leads in any key but I knew theory and could articulate what I was doing. Just because I can read sheet music doesn't mean that I don't play by ear or by feel. Learn your chords, theory, number system etc.

On the other side of the coin, maybe he didn't have any interest in playing with an orchestra. If you're doing fine without theory, and you don't have an interest in it, why spend the time to learn it?

Teal_66

Man, I have been playing for under 3 years, and I'm learning the modes and tons of other theory. All this does is improve my playing AND my ability to play with others - and expands my musical language.

Why the heck would you NOT want to know what you're doing? Even if it sounds ok, it's still better to know. It would be like someone saying, "Errr...I can speak really well, and I ain't never tooken an English class." and bragging about it to a bunch of English professors.

:huh

Goo Fighters

Man, I have been playing for under 3 years, and I'm learning the modes and tons of other theory. All this does is improve my playing AND my ability to play with others - and expands my musical language.

Why the heck would you NOT want to know what you're doing? Even if it sounds ok, it's still better to know. It would be like someone saying, "Errr...I can speak really well, and I ain't never tooken an English class." and bragging about it to a bunch of English professors.

:huh

That's great. That method works for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best method for others. There are multiple paths to get a desired result. Many pro players don't have in-depth theory knowledge.

Let me turn your analogy around a bit - if one can already speak English fluently, is it necessary to take English lessons? I never said learning theory is a bad thing, btw.

Trending Topics