Any other "born with it" guys on here?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by james..., Jun 25, 2014.

1. mike walker

mike walker Member

The internet is often not the best place to convey exactly what you mean/feel in a post. Things get misread and re-interpreted.
    And there's the old one of people seeing what they need to see in order
    to stay comfortable from their vantage points.
    These things would pass unnoticed over a coffee in a cafe and they certainly wouldn't suffer the kind of mistrust, irony and cynicism they get saddled with.

2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

It's really an interesting phenomenon - unfortunately the OP's tone was so off-putting that it got lost as a serious discussion.

My brother and nephew do the same sort of thing with various instruments. Unfortunately that gift mostly skipped me. I have to work very hard to learn music/technique, etc. etc. and even after 30 years of playing they still have a grasp on music that I won't ever have.

Fortunately that isn't what drives me to play. Maybe if it was too easy for me I wouldn't have continued with it.

3. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

:agree

:rockin

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Yes, thank you Tomo, it is that simple.

And of course,, no guarantee's to be great. That's life =)

So glad you found it Tomo.

5. JonR

JonR Member

I hesitate to ask, but what makes you think you were "born" with it?
    I mean, I guess you're saying you found music easy and natural from the start (easier than others did), but you didn't emerge from the womb playing an instrument ;). How old were you when first sang, or first tried playing an instrument?
    (I'm genuinely interested in the backgrounds of people like yourself.)

6. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Examples like this are why I refuse to believe that some people aren't born with a more natural affinity for music than others. Although with that being said I really do believe its totally possible for people who aren't born with that affinity to still become great musicians. I think people that are constantly exposed to music in childhood have a huge advantage though.

7. Bluesman1026

Bluesman1026 Member

Yeah, you're right. Lesson learned. Thanks for that.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

No one is born with it, Tomo said it right, the whole process start with a passion for it.

My son didn't start playing till he was 16 and he blew my mind. Here he is playing Maple Leaf Rag ONE MONTH after he started it. My son had never played a piano, or any instrument before and he never read music before, yet he memorized the whole piece within one month and since then he has always been a good reader.

He learned this without my help or his mothers who is a good reader, no help what so ever, in fact he learned it on an electric turned down so I didn't really even know he was working on it. Then it was like, one day, boom, he knows it. He now favors bass but still plays piano. Here he is playing bass with his very first band and he wrote the tune, the singer is his gf.

But he wasn't born with it, he was simple interested enough. And he really can't play effective blues soloing, something he's little interest playing. But I like his writing, that's very cool.

I've been a proud poppa

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

You are not alone- I've met a few guys like you.

In fact many great Guitarists were good and even great at a very early age .

When I was first playing there was a kid about my age 12 who could play anything
    on the Radio, like a Pro ...and was performing professionally at 13, and his Group had
    a record on the air when he was still in 9th Grade, lol.

10. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I'm also a natural. I don't even have to listen to a CD to learn the songs. If I looked at the underside where the data is, I'm able to memorize all the parts to all the songs with just a glance.

11. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Back in the day, all I needed to do was drive by the record store once a week on Thursday night to absorb all the parts for that week's Top Forty tunes for my Friday and Saturday night gigs. :wave

12. Razorface

Razorface Senior Member

Well I hope that satisfied your "curiosity".

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. JonR

JonR Member

Reminds me of a Radiohead song... can't think which one.....
    ;)

14. Razorface

Razorface Senior Member

Thanks again for being cool.

15. old goat

old goat Member

Nothing James said struck me as egotistical. He merely said he believes he was born with the ability to play by ear without training or theory. Nowhere does he claim to be a great player, just one who can sit in on anything and pick it up immediately. These kinds of innate talent aren't particularly rare. Mozart was playing concerts at the age of four.The most obvious examples are in sports. Or take my sons--the eldest, who takes after his mother, picked up 3 oranges when he was twelve and juggled them perfectly the first time. His brother, who takes after me, is a klutz, although he does reasonably well at sports by hard work (and cheating--his sport was water polo and he could also bring any opponent back to his speed without getting caught.) A lot of writers will tell you that the story just came out like someone was dictating it to them and they have no idea where it came from, although they have to work to fine tune it. Obviously, what matters with any innate talent is what the owner does with it. And actually, perhaps the biggest predictor of success in any field is the innate desire to practice--people who have that desire practice not because they have to, but because they want to, because they feel very bad if they don't practice--people like that will practice for hours a day even after they have reached the top of their fields. Wish I had that ability, maybe my golf handicap wouldn't have peaked at 15--and it's probably a lot higher now, if I hadn''t stopped keeping score.

16. Cainer

Cainer Member

In my experience self-appraisal of one's talent is not always in line with reality. In some cases staggeringly so.

I remember a guy I knew who had once asked me for lessons strutting up to me at a jam night and cockily telling me that he 'wouldn't be needing those lessons any more', implying that he'd 'mastered the blues'. Of course moments later when he got on stage he proceeded to suck up a storm (and subsequently dropped the host-guitarists strat headstock first onto the ground as he attempted to un-strap it).

Either way, I think the more taken with your own playing you are, the less quickly you progress.

For me, over the course of my playing life, where I want to get to seems to always move ahead of where I am.

17. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Member

I believe it's some people catch on faster that's all, here is an example of my kid shredding ( yeah, I'm proud of him) http://youtu.be/j-jkEQiRpVw

18. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I've been told by many people that I'm born with a natural talent for music. I play lots of instruments. Though I don't believe those people really know what they're talking about. I've also been told by many people that I'm born with a natural ability to draw, paint, sculpt, whatever. I don't believe them either. Sure I draw better and play guitar better than 99% of people out there (remember most people don't play guitar at all), but I don't attribute that to a skill I was born with. That would belittle all the hard work over the years that I've put into it. To me, if I was born with anything, it was a love and passion to create odd and beautiful things. I love music, so I play music a lot. Since I play music a lot, I eventually got good at it. I wasn't born a good musician. I was just born a sensitive person who enjoys good music and art and have a desire to be closer to the things I love.

19. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I auditioned for a band last night. I had 22 tunes to get tight on in one day, one day notice,, I wrote out charts for everything (lifesaver) and most tunes were charted as a one line memory jolt type thing.

I wanted the gig so I sold myself to the guy as an ace in the hole, that I won't need the "guitar coach" that was available, I would be prepared. So I played the tunes last night and nailed them, it was recorded on Protools and I was very happy with my part.

My point being that I sold myself to this guy but also sold myself to myself. If I had gone into this with the attitude, "I think I might be ready for this" that word might just might become as big as a mountain and a huge barrier to success. Call it psyching myself out.

Thinking a lot of one's own playing has to be a key part of actually being good. The poor depressed guy that spends the bulk of time thinking "people won't like his playing" just gives his power away and most likely will suck at that time. It wouldn't be a good frame of mind to be in if you're getting ready to go some rounds in the ring. Your opponent will sense the doubt and then your trouble doubles because you sense they sense, a vicious circle, nothing to do with who you really are and what you are capable of. To arrive with a fountain of confidence flowing all around you is reassuring to the guys, and they will receive you with open arms, the audition goes great.

You got to believe in yourself cause no one else will do it for you. All the way back to the beginning.

And where is the dividing line between confidence and bragging? Because that also exists.

20. Razorface

Razorface Senior Member

I suck at guitar. I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo (according to JonR)

What the heck am I doing here?

It's fun to be slagged, and to make others feel better!