Any Other Damage Control Timeline users in the house?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Mar 21, 2008.

1. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I got a DC Timeline about 2 weeks ago. i am likin it so far...of course I am trying to figure out the whole midi thing (rocktron midi mate) to make it easier to use. So..if you're out there..how are you using it and what do you like/dislike. The only complaint I have so far is that the "grit" control seems to add a high pitched whine to the sound. It is taking some getting used to after being a DD20 user. BTW I also own the glass nexus which I like a lot.

2. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

If I still had a large pedalboard, I would still own a timeline. When I downsized to a pedaltrain jr I just didn't have space for it. Yeah, the grit control did the same thing for me. While I will openly admit that the timeline is not layed out that well, it is the best sounding delay pedal I've ever owned(I've owned the replica, memory lane, timefactor, nova delay, dl4, dd6, dm-2, dm-3, analogman ar20dl, and currently the dd20). I used a tech 21 midi mouse with it. I had the midi mouse control the presets so I could use the pedals switches for on/off and tap tempo. Best sounding delay set up I've ever used.

3. JoNNyUtAh

JoNNyUtAh Member

I agree completely that whoever designed the layout needs a kick square in the nuts!!!! Why the center knob is recessed instead of protruding? I have no idea... But the tone is killer! I don't the first thing about midi, so I am probably missing out on a large portion of the user features intended. I have the liquid blues overdrive as well, which I can't say I like as much as the Time line, but thats apples to oranges really! :) I also use a DD-20 and Line6 DL4... [thanks to you guys, I can "FINALLY UNDERSTAND" why the dl4 sounds so sterile... *Hint to line6 r&d team!!!!!!!!

I would love it if you could tell me more about the glass nexus!!!
    I have never heard from someone that had one! If it sounds as good as the timeline I'm gonna have to slang some extra rocks! ha ha ha

My web browser is all muffed up and I can't even look at the DC site!!!!

I was "following the advice" of someone on a Mac forum on (optimizing and improving your macs prefomance) and somehow partitioned my Macintosh HD!!!! The kicker is that my protoolsle disks got lost when I moved! And I am DEFINITLY NOT COMPUTER LITERATE!!!!! Now I can't even log on as the admin anymore so I have no access to anything important!!! And I don't want to reboot because I don't know if I'll loose the ProTools HD?????
    Any MAC afficiendos here? YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

(see why I'm hesitant on the DIY stuff)
    lol

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

The timeline is the first delay I have ever had in 40 years of playing. I've had it for a month already. I am not experiencing the problems with the grit control as of yet. I use the green wonder in front of the timeline for distortion, and this sounds better. I also run the filter contol and the smear control up to between a quarter and a half to smooth out the repeats. The timeline is a very quiet machine. I also use a tech 21 midi mouse and I think this will eventually save the central switch from excessive wear. The plastic jacks may need tightening, as mine were a little loose. Use a socket alone in your hand so you do not overtighten them. They may be attached to a board inside, and you may break them off if you are not careful. I also recently aquired a blackstone quicksilver delay. The two delays used in series with each other brings the delay effect to a whole other level of sound. Both pedals have great modulation, and together, create incredible ambiance, at least to me. Have fun with your timeline.

5. scottro123

scottro123 Member

I'm a Glass Nexus owner, and it replaced a Boss DD-20 and Line6 MM4 on my board. Think of it as a single 2-knob Modulation effect, 4-knob Delay and 2-knob pedal in one box.

If you can live with <1.5 seconds delay time and are using a mono rig, the GN could cover all of your needs as it's got different Delay modes (digital, analog, tape) and a tone control to dull or brighten the repeats. You're sacrificing the modulated delays, stereo modes & more advanced features on the Timeline. Delays sound very pristine to me, though I haven't compared it to the timeline.

As far as Modulation, what stands out in this unit is their transparency. Backing off the mix you can add nice color and keep enough of your original tone in tact to sound good. I think it stands with any modulation effect out there (including dedicated stomps) in this regard. Effects are very simple to dial in, and can sound quite good. The chorus is a bit hi-fi for me but I don't use it much anyway. It won't out-vibe a $300 boutique, but it is a clear winner over the Line6 as well as the Modulation sections from any other floorboard processor I've used.

Now if Damage Control could just put both of these in one box with an expression pedal, Bank selection, tap tempo and individual effect on/off footswitches they'd really be on to something!

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I have a Timeline. I haven't used it on guitar much, though, since I got the Roland VG-99. I'm keeping it around though for my electric cello. I'll probably set up MIDI presets for it with the Roland FC-300 foot controller that I got for the VG.

Never noticed any problem with the Grit, although I do notice the Timeline can overload my MOTU 828Mkii's audio inputs (clipping) quite easily if I'm not careful.

I'm pretty happy with the sounds of the Timeline overall. It's just that the VG keeps me busy.

7. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Well, I am really liking it. Tonight I am going to take on the daunting task of doing the midi programing. I am a midiot so this should be fun. I am sure the fruits of my labor will be worth it though, I'll have the Glass Nexus and Timeline working together.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Do you still have the Grit issue? I'll have to bust mine out and check if I get a whine when I crank the Grit. I recall trying that once before, with clean guitar, and all I noticed was the repeats coming out overdriven by the tubes, which was pretty neat.

9. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Yeah, I still have the grit issue. Maybe it is supposed to be like that? I also think the distorted repeats is cool but I won't use it if it makes me feel like I have Tenitus.

10. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've been using a Timeline for a few months now. I absolutely love it. For so long I was using a T-Rex Replica, and trying every delay I could to get the sound of the Replica, but with more features. Then I found the Timeline, and that was it. Hands down, the best sounding digital delay I've played.

I'm using it with a Rocktron Midi Mate, which makes it incredible. I've got 128 different Timeline sounds available, and I can get to ten at a time with just one click. Just beautiful.

Although, for all my loving rants about this pedal, there are a couple downsides:

1. It's the size of Rhode Island
    2. They decided to put a 'magic eye' in it instead of a digital readout for beats per minute?

3. (Not really about the Timeline) The Rocktron Midi Mate really took some digging into for me to get it to work properly. But I also got it used, so it's possible the previous owner put some wacky settings into it.

But for me, the incredible sound would be worth all the downsides!! And then add to that the functionality, and whoa, I'm wondering where this pedal has been all these years.

:)

11. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

i think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the downsides. although... rhode island? when it comes to pedal board real estate its more like texas.

i worked on programming mine with the midi mate. i got it to work with the timeline just fine, the problem i am having is getting the midi mate to talk to the timeline and glass nexus.

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I'll check if my Timeline also exhibits the Grit whine issue. Hopefully, sometime soon.

I've been more focused on organizing VG-99 patches for band use.

13. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Glass Nexus, especially in an FX loop.