Any other "instant-on" optical wahs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tfire, Jan 16, 2006.

1. tfire

tfire Member

I have a Bad Horsie and a Bad Horsie 2. They sound OK, but only OK.

The reason they stay on my pedalboard is that I like the "instant on" that enables you to insert just a dab of wah without that interruption while you hit the switch on other wahs. Plus the lack of graunchy crackle due to it being optical rather than having a pot is good.

As far as I know, they're the only wahs with both those features, but I'd like to be corrected if there's a better sounding wah out there that does the same thing.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i know godlyke is distributing a boutique wah from europe. i have the EarthQuake bass wah.

has a heel button that turns on as soon as you step on the pedal. quite cool.

3. tfire

tfire Member

Do you mean the Automagic Silver Machine? It has a traditional pot, although as someone pointed out, it does have a special hole in the chassis through which you can spray your switch cleaner!

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

why not mod the morleys?

I'm sure it can be done.

I've had a bad horsie for years for the same reason, it also has a very nice buffer. But yeah, the tone isn't where I'd like it to be.

5. jockman

jockman Member

George Dennis do a fine range of optical wha's, give them a try.

6. jockman

jockman Member

Just remembered, they are NOT instant on, sorry.

7. mwestenberg

mwestenberg Member

What do you mean by instant on? I use a DOD FX17 from the '80's that uses some kind of metallic sensor instead of a pot.

8. tfire

tfire Member

I had one of those. It sounded good and was built like a tank.

On the Morleys, as you step on the treadle, the wah switches into circuit. When you take your foot off, the wah switches off after a short (adjustable) delay. So there's no switch to click before you can wah. Hence "instant-on".

9. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

What about the Ibanez WD7? It's auto-on, but I'm not sure if it's optical or not.

/Andreas

10. tfire

tfire Member

I didn't know about this one.

[​IMG]

Is it as big as it looks? Looks like it probably has a bigger footprint than the Morleys.

Haven't been able to find any information on whether it has anything other than a standard potentiometer.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yup,

that's the one. works brillant.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have one. they are a little wider, but really not all that much.
    I really don't know if it uses optical, but as you pointed out, it has some great options for instant on (you can ALSO set it over to not-instant on, and use the footswitch on the right of it, which is great ifyou find a "sweet spot" and want to just turn it on and off) including that you can choose how instant it is...how long a delay after you touch it withyour foot before it comes on.

This is the most versatile wah I've run across. I played with it a good while, but it almost has too many options...

Personally, I just ordered a Teese wah, because I just mainly want one GREAT wah sound and not so much tweakability.

Of course, this wah, the WD-7, is not true bypass, but that isn't necessarily bad. It's a clever device.

Definitely the original poster ought to check it out!

13. tfire

tfire Member

Would you please measure the base of it for me?

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

No problem. It is 10" long, 4.5" wide for most of it, but it juts out to 6" wide where the little sideswitch is.

15. tfire

tfire Member

Thanks for doing that. It might fit on my board: The Morley is 5.5" wide by 9" long. I'll try to find a local place to try one out.

(Sure looks ugly though!)