Any other nice verbs besides the EH holy grail??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

alesis picoverb or nanoverb anyone? EH holier and holiest reverb fans out there? any others worth checking out? how are the fender tube reissues compared to the EH holy grail. I have that one and it is ok, just noisy and adds some unwanted high end treble to my tone.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't like my Holy Grail, way too noisy. Decent verbs but noisy. Anyone know of a good reverb that's not so noisy?

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

4. JayDA

JayDA Member

+1 EBS Dynaverb

This question gets asked at least twice a week, a search will reveal more info then you could ever want.

5. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, if you have a chance to test out a Holy Grail before you buy it, you can find ones (like mine) that are quiet. Mine does have reliability problems, though, but nothing a quick power off/on can't fix.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I believe the Nano was one of the very first Chinese made offerings from Alesis. The first batch had seriuos noise issues that were quickly corrected, but if you're buying 2nd hand, you'll want to avoid those low serial numbers.

It's actually a modulation-based multi-effector, and as such, offers very little in the way of tweakabity for each preset.

To get the rest of the bad news out of the way, just let me say that the 'rotary speaker', 'flange' & 'chorus' presets have to be among the worst I've heard. You can lump the sterile-sounding, ultra-stiff & lifeless delay in there while we/re at it.

The other side of the dial's dedicated to a handul of digital reverb algorhythms that ain't half bad, considering the size/cost of the unit.

But they're not emulations of the accutronic spring-pan reverbs we associate w/guitar amps- divided into three categories; halls, rooms & 3 types of 'plate' reverbs that'll give you a sound that's closest to what we'd recognize as amp tremolo.

I've used those plate settings once or twice going direct to the board, and the hall & room presets are useful for mic'd vocals and/or horns. Little bit goes a long way when I'm slathering it on to smooth out my execrable saxophone solos.. but it's not the one I'd go to for stratocaster surf medlies..

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have actually heard nothing but good things about the Line6 Verbzilla.

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I keep hearing about these noise and reliability problems - but my Holy Grail is quiet and has never given me a bit of trouble.

Guess I just got lucky...I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I really like it.

9. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the line 6 Verbzilla. Nothing short of high end rack gear can touch it. The plate setting is killer.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm excited about the soon to be released entry from T-Rex called the Room Mate. I liked the T-Rex Relic, if the Room Mate is as good, this should do it for me. August 1st is the day it's supposed to be available.

burningyen and Digitalman, glad to hear they are not all noisy, too bad they are inconsistent, reminds me of buying a Fuzz Face back in the day. I do think the Holy Grail has great reverbs, much better than my Boss RV-3.

11. david henman

david henman Member

...i just added one to my pedalboard. sounds wonderful to these old ears!

-dh

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Line 6 Verbzilla...its awsome for the money, I used to have one.

13. exhausted

exhausted Member

love the verbzilla. better in an effects loop if possible. a small amount of hiss when it's up front but nothing compared to the hiss from a holy grail.

14. selahvie

selahvie Member

If you're wanting to go the inexpensive route, the Alesis Nanoverb is a pretty great little verb unit with a bunch of options. You can get them on eBay for less than $50. I've had one for about 6 years and have used it in a number of different rigs/applications. It's just a great little effects unit(very nice plate verb and actually a good digital delay also) and is also very quiet. I've been wanting a Verbzilla, but I think I might slap my Nanoverb on my board in the mean time. It is actually footswitchable with a latching-type footswitch if that is important to you. Just and idea.