Any other overdrives with Sparkledrive's "blend" control?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by uberschall, Dec 4, 2005.

1. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Hi,
    Are there any OD/distortions besides the Sparkledrive that have a Blend function for blending in the clean tone? I've searched "blend," "blendandcontrol," "mixandcontrol" and "Sparkledrive," but found no info.

I'd also be interested in hearing people's experiences using the Blend knob on a Loooper with a distortion in the loop. Phasing or volume drop/boost issues?

I love this pedal with my electric, but for 4-5 years I've been using it with my acoustic in solo cover gigs; I kick it in for heavy sections and get distortion without the bottom, top and "acoustic feel" dropping out of my sound- especially important when you're solo. Any options out there?

Thanks!

2. ABKB

ABKB Member

Yes, the Danelectro Wasabi OD has a blend control, as well as a 5 or 10 db boost. Great pedal, very underrated. Except for the plastic jacks it really is a cool pedal. It's not one of the mini Danos by a longshot, the thing weighs a ton. Every once in a while Dano makes some great stuff and this pedal is one of em.

3. uberschall

Cool, I will definitely check one out. I actually use a Wasabi Delay in my acoustic rig. The manual is a universal one for all their pedals- you'd think I'd have noticed the blend feature on their OD's!

Question: can you use the boost switch independently from the distortion, for a clean boost?

SIDE NOTE: The thing that bothers me about the Wasabi delay is the input selection switch- "hum" cuts volume,"normal" cuts slightly & and "sing" boosts it. So none of the 3 settings let me turn the effect on/off without a volume change; it does this on both acoustic and electric.
    Also, sometimes about halfway through a gig, my tone will start to get suddenly quieter and thinner. It never did this before I got the Wasabi. I'm wondering if it wasn't getting enough power; currently it seems to be OK with it's own Boss PSA.

Thanks ABKB!

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

This describes the old MMFX Tube Dancer excellent drive and independant parrellel clean boost , and you can use both or either ......

Morgan Miller (the MM in MMFX) is back from serving in Iraq and starting his pedal business up again so you might check with him.....

5. stu42

stu42 Member

The Maxon OD808 and OD-820 have a feature that's (sort of) like that.

The OD808's "balance" knob and the OD-820's Drive knob both work in the same way. At settings lower than 12:00, the "uneffected" tone is mixed in with the "effected" tone.

That said, I've got the OD-820 and a Sparkle Drive and I've compared the two and the effect isn't exactly the same though. With the Sparkle Drive, when you turn up the Clean control, it makes the un-effected part of the signal louder and you can hear the overdriven part of the signal - which still has its full level of distortion - more in the background. In otherwords you can hear the two layers pretty distinctly.

With the OD-820 you don't really hear two layers of sound. It just sounds more like you've dialed in a lower amount of overdrive on the pedal. With the Drive control set to zero it acts as a clean boost. That said, even the un-effected part of the signal still goes through the tone processing part.

Personally, I like the OD-820 better. I'm not really crazy about the layering of the clean and distorted sounds that the Sparkle Drive does. To me it just sounds like there's some weird buzzing in the background. ....but that's just me.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Nick Greer Easy C and Green Giant

7. ABKB

ABKB Member

NP
    Yes, the volume boost is an independant button (od on the right, boost on the left). And they are close enough together you can hit em both at the same time if you want. As for the "input selection" thing, it does have that as well on the OD, but I dont use it because it annoyed me more than anything lol. Mainly because of the issues you mentioned. On possible power problems with what you mentioned, I have never had a problem with mine, I have it mounted on my pedalboard using a standard boss type connection.

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

The new T-Rex Møller has that feature as well.
    That said, I don't like hearing the clean guitar much in drives, it is pretty annoying to me.

9. uberschall

Thanks everybody for all the info. You gave me some great leads!