Any other pedals that EQ like a Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Mar 24, 2015.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I tried a Timmy a while back and liked it. What I felt it excelled at was changing the tone of the pedals in front of it.

It especially made my Rat brighter and more present in a good way.

Although I certainly would consider a Timmy, I am wondering if anything else out there has the ability to really shape the tone of the pedals before it.

I don't need the Timmy for anything but that, so that's why I am wondering if a boost with tone knobs would do it too?

2. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

so an eq pedal that cuts bass and or treble?

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Not necessarily, just something that can really help get some highs and clarity out of my fuzz.

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I've heard that the Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive is similarly voiced to a Timmy. It's one of their more underrated ODs IMO.

5. jchan

jchan Member

Xotic BB, AC and RC pedals all have Bass and Treble controls and do a good job with EQ control.

6. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I got an used sparkle blue timmy yesterday..put it next yo a blues driver n they sound so similar

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

but you can't attenuate bass on a blues driver. you can get a similar transparent drive but it doesn't function like a timmy's eq. nothing i've tried does what the timmy does, but i haven't tried them all. it just plain works well for some stuff. if you like the way a boost pumps up your tone then there's all kinds that kick butt but i really like being able to roll off the bass without shaving the high end and keeping the gain identical. given what they costs new and how super available they are and with outrageously good support, i can't promote them enough.

8. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

^This

These 3 Xotics all offer 15db of both cut and boost for both treble and bass.

I often use an RC as you describe or just in general as a great problem solver.

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Thanks. I was mainly looking at the rc.

The only downside to my timmy was it was a tiny bit brittle and amplified noise a little bit.

If the rc can do the same thing without the negatives, I might try that.

10. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

Have you tried swapping clipping diodes for your TImmy?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015