Any other rivera owners out there

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by untoldguitarist, Apr 12, 2008.

1. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

Ok I just bought a Rivera K Tre head with the rare kevelar tolex and currently for my speaker cabinet I have a oversized mesa cab with V30's in it but when I hooked up the Rivera to it and it sounded horrible made the amp sound to midsy and not alot of clarity from the speakers. But when I played through a used one at Guitar Center I hooked it up to a marshall 4x12 1960a cab and it sounded amazing; byfar the best high gain amp I have ever heard in person with so much head room and clarity with gobs and gobs of extra gain on tap. So I was wondering if I could get some advice from other Rivera owners for a cabinet because I don't think the mesa cabs are the best byfar for clarity. But when I hook up my old 2ch dual rec to the cab it sounds fine. So any advice would be very well appreciated Thanks.

Jason

2. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

I owned the same cab and had the same problem, it sounded great with my Dual but horrible with my Rivera Knucklehead and my buddy's Marshall. I fell in love with my Knucklehead though a old Hiwatt cab w/Fane's. It also sounds killer through a Orange 4X12 w/V30's, and a Marshall W/30's.

3. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

yeah I had a good felling that it was the cab Because when I played the exact same head through a marshall cab I was blown away how amazing the amp sounded with overall tone and clarity. But I think I might tryout a Basson cab because the reviews are almost perfect on harmony central.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

My best advice is to only make a cabinet decision after playing your guitar->head->cabinet in person. You also need to play at the volume you will be using it. I have an old Celestion G12H that sounds like crap at low volumes but really comes alive at high volume. K-Tre looks like a great amp. I have a Quianna 2x12 with V30s that sounds really nice.

5. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Yep had a S120 combo with the Celestion G12-85s and i enjoyed it. I finally sold it as I bought the head version and it was just to heavy to carry. Had I kept it I would have tried some different speakers though as I look forward to doing with the head. Thinking of some EVs.
    Mike

6. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

yeah I seen a used Rivera cab that Guitar Center has in there used inventory that has EV's in it and they were wanting around like $450 for it and it was a 2x12. Yeah I have been leaning towards either a cab with Eminence or EV speakers or just buy a 2x12 mesa and sell the V30'S and through in some Black Label EV'S even though they are $250 a piece.

7. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

Ok I thinking that is may be a bad tube or something because it sounded like garbage through every single cab I hooked it up to in Guitar Center today.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I've got a K212 with the Rivera branded Celestion G12-85s and will probably replace them and put them up for sale at some point.

9. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

what is your asking price for the cab?

10. stratzrus

I figured, GT, and I remember saying I'd give you first dibs on the 85s if I pull them.

I'm not selling the cab, just the speakers, but you can usually get a K212 used for around $300. Make it a "favorite search" on eBay and one should pop up in a few months.

I'm going to use my two K212s to sit my two K412Bs on top of so I'll be running twelve 12s...it should be quite a party!

11. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I play my K55 through a '77 Hiwatt with EVs and absolutely love it. Actually I've played a lot of heads through that cab and have yet to hear one that I didn't like. It's the heaviest cab I've ever even heard of, but it's worth the tone.

My other cabs are a '75 Marshall Big M with Cannabis Rexes and a CAA with WGS V30 clones. Both of these color the sound quite a bit, which I don't really like. The Hiwatt with EVs is much more bright and clear. This might not be great for a bright amp, but the Rivera and my CAA OD100 have such great EQs that it's not an issue. I'm thinking about getting some more EVs or something similar to put in my other cabs...

12. jay42

jay42 Member

Rivera's are usually tweaked for specific speakers. For example, the Rake/Jake line was tweaked for the 85's and sounds awful with V30s.

13. stratzrus

I have 2 EV SROs in my Rivera 4x12 and the Knucklehead Reverb sounds much better than with the 4 V30s it came with.

The KHR is voiced a little darkly and the added high end that the EVs provide really helps without becoming harsh.

14. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

so how much for the speakers .

15. Agramal

Agramal Member

I have a Rivera KH412 with V30s in them that should sound great with a Tre. $650.

16. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I love Rivera's and was interested in a High gainer, so I tried a new K Tre, and I just couldnt believe how bad it sounded. The Knuckle head right beside it sounded way better to me. Could have been a bad one, I dont know. Perhaps something wrong with it. This one was in El Cerito CA.

17. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I use my K Tre thru either my Mesa Traditional 4X12 Recto Cab or my little 2x12 Recto cab. I think it sounds really good with v30s! We hear things differently I guess. I love the Tre with the midrange turned up to around 6-7.

18. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

The Tres are a bit different in terms of how you dial them in. They have an absurd amount of gain, and then you can "boost" it?!? I never got that, I would rather have had a solo boost, but what can you do? I think the low end is also pretty crazy...so if you were try the amp again, I would suggest keeping the gain no more than 5-6, mids 5-6 and bass/foundation pretty low.

They are also crazy loud...off to blaring is a hair's turn on the volume. I always have the loop active and dial the send and return to 3-4 and that makes the volumes much easier to deal with in that they are much less sensitive.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

I have a Knucklehead Reverb and I tried it through a Randall Warhead Cab (oversized w/ V30's), Mesa Boogie Recto cab (oversized w/ V30's), Marshall 1960A cab (w/ 75's), Rivera 4x12 (w/ V30's) and own the Rivera "Seven" 4x12 (w/ Custom Celestion "Seven" 100W speakers).

First thing I found was that Knucklehead's and K-Tre's do not sound good through any cab that is oversized. Those heads put through too much bass for them which I found them to loose defenition and become boomy and farty. The cab's got to be a good & tight. The Rivera 4x12 w/ V30's sounded very good, but I'm not a fan of V30's so opted for the cab which I have now (the "Seven" cab). I think that these heads are best complimented with higher Wattage speakers. Alot fuller sounding. The Marshall cab was a very close second and you can find those cabs anywhere.

20. stratzrus

I haven't decided yet...they're not really ofr sale at this point, but they will be when I decide exactly how I'm going to configure that cabinet (detuned or two 16 ohm speakers). I'll list them in the emporium if GuitarTone is no longer interested.