Any other Steve Wilson Fans here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, May 6, 2016.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I love Porcupine Tree and miss them. But Steve Wilson, PT's soul, carries on. I haven't seen his current touring act, but review have been great.

Here'a video from a recent show in NYC.

Anybody else a fan?

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'm up and down with Steve's solo stuff...but PT and any project he ever mastered/remastered....ABSOLUTELY.

S.
    j

enharmonic likes this.
  3. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I think he's one of the best.

He sounds like himself, and no-one else. Whether it's his purely solo stuff, his collaborations, or his influence on/from other musicians, he's an original and distinctive voice.

4. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Hand... Is a difficult listen. Love it at times but can be a bummer. I suppose that is a good thing. Love him really good stuff.

5. lhallam

lhallam Member

One day my friend's son was listening to some tunes and one caught my ear. "Wow who is that?" "Steve Wilson". "Cool stuff." Then a few songs later another tune caught me ear. Same guy. He's got that special something.

6. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

He is one of my favorite artists ever. PT was an incredible band, and a good friend of mine ended up being the touring guitarist for PT for several years - I was seriously jealous of that gig :D but he's a great guitarist and got to play all those amazing songs with Steven.

I sort of made friends with Steven and traded music with him way back in the early 90s, we swapped some CD's back and forth across the Atlantic and we both pursued doing ambient music - me with my stargarden project and steven with bass communion. when he came out with "Signify", I knew he was really going places that no one had gone before.

his music reminds me of a heavier and more intense pink Floyd, with fantastic lyrics and great guitar riffs...

7. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

It's great to have people like Steven Wilson out there. I think that we get bombarded by such crap music these days. It's refreshing to hear people like Steven Wilson.

8. Hawx

Hawx Member

He's a genius no doubt. I like the Hand Cannot Erase album but have yet to get into it properly.

enharmonic likes this.
  9. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I like him very much. What I like even more are his remasters of classic prog albums.

enharmonic likes this.
  10. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

"Hand" is a masterpiece. His ability to meld every influence into a musically cohesive sonic story is amazing. I own the Blu-Ray, which has an in studio documentary. He makes the comment that 95% of musicians he talks to, do not listen to the current music scene. He himself listens to everything, looking for influences to incorporate into his own sound. Smart guy, grew up a geeky highly educated, well read and musically exposed kid. It shows in his music.

Bobby D likes this.
  11. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

Steven Wilson is cool, love the Porcupine Tree music and a lot of the remastering of old prog bands that he has done is great too.

12. Hawx

Hawx Member

I saw that on youtube, the comment about listening to music is so true, Input = Output.

13. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I'm a big fan of all his material. PT was my gateway and I agree with most that the PT material is more accessible, but......Hand Cannot Erase is quite simply stunning as an album.

I love playing the music in the car with someone who had never heard any of his stuff, it's all mellow and quiet, until it explodes into something heavy and loud and they perk up...."Whoa! Who's this?"

As mentioned above, I equate Steven Wilson to a modern day composer. He takes the best of what's going on and melds it into one cohesive package. Really quite an impressive artist.

As an aside, the Pandora "Steven Wilson Radio" has led me to some other artists that I'm digging too.....but that's another thread.

madmarcus1960 likes this.
  14. townsend

townsend Member

Fantastic work remastering ELP, YES, Jethro Tull, King Crimson . . . I consider his remasters definitive -- they are the ones I listen to.

15. KHAN

KHAN Member

Genius.

His band live. (with Guthrie and Marco)

movingpictures likes this.
  16. Outlier

Outlier Member

He is a great talent. I've been listening to PT since about 2000 and have most of his solo and side project stuff. Definitely some is more to my taste than others but I am always ready to give it a listen. My favorite 5.1 surround music mixer for sure.

17. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I loved Porcupine Tree, was a fan from Sky Moves Sideways up through Deadwing. Stupid Dream was a masterpiece. Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident were total wankery IMO. I bought SW's Insurgentes when he released it, but haven't bothered with anything beyond that. I recognize his tremendous talent, but can't say I'm a fan of his solo material nor where he took PT later.

18. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Was that John Wesley? He played one of the best guitar solos i've ever heard when i saw PT on the Deadwing tour.

I haven't followed Steven's stuff in a few years, i should catch up.

Bobby D likes this.
  19. GasMask

GasMask Member

Really love PT! Some of the best music created in the last decade or two.
    Stellar musicianship combined with inspired creativity.
    "Arriving Somewhere but not Here" is a masterpiece.

20. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I've been working on learning the guitar parts. amazing how many little bits make up that amazing track. And how they float from the arpeggio to hard rock!