Any "passive-bypass" studio subwoofer out there?

kronda

Short version of my question: Is there any active studio subwoofer which would pass the input signal to the two monitor outputs when switched off? Like a passive pass-thru...

To explain: I'm thinking about adding a studio subwoofer (Krk 8s2) to my home studio setup (2x Krk VXT4 monitors). The monitors would be connected to the subwoofer's XLR outs so that when the sub is engaged, it would provide high-passed signal to them, and when the sub is bypassed it would feed the original full signal. But I would probably just use the sub in the final stage of mixing (read "from time to time", not to annoy my neighbours more than is necessary) and so I would prefer not to have it switched on (in bypass) all the time when mixing. But I also don't like the idea of rewiring my cables everytime I want to use the sub.

Do you know of any active studio sub that is able to passively pass thru incoming audio (when switched off)? Or do you think I shouldn't mind running the sub in bypass as it is no concern (energy savings, subs lifetime...)

Thanks a lot.
David

335guy

If your interface or mixer has more than one set of L&R outputs ( most do ), then you could wire up your speakers both ways. Have one way where the selected outputs go to the sub, then the monitors. And use the other alternative L&R output to hook up just the monitors, sans the sub. Then all you would have to do is use your mixer's/interface's controls to turn up one or the other set of outputs.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
The description of your target sub includes built in bypass.
There are other ways.

The 8s powered studio subwoofer builds upon KRK’s legacy for sonic accuracy in a compact form factor. The custom-voiced, glass-aramid woofer delivers tight, defined bass, while the Class-D power amplifier dramatically increases transient response, control and punch. The four-position selectable crossover lets you adjust the subwoofer setting easily to your existing monitors. Pairing the 8s subwoofer with KRK or another studio monitor delivers an optimized mixing and listening experience with extended low end, while the exclusive bypass-control feature provides full range audio to the monitors without switching off the subwoofer. KRK’s 8s subwoofer doesn’t just deliver precise bass and a rich feature set: it’s the next dimension in subwoofer performance.

kronda

I haven't realized there are alternative inputs on the monitors and since my interface has 4 pairs of outputs I can easily wire them both via the sub and directly.

Thanks, guys, for all your replies, very helpful.

jmoose

I haven't realized there are alternative inputs on the monitors and since my interface has 4 pairs of outputs I can easily wire them both via the sub and directly.

Actually you can't do that. Possibilities of ground loops, gain staging issues and you still need a crossover...

That sub, like many others has a bypass footswitch for a good reason.

kronda

Actually you can't do that. Possibilities of ground loops, gain staging issues and you still need a crossover...

That sub, like many others has a bypass footswitch for a good reason.

Right and I was actually wrong anyways, my monitors don't have alternative XLR and TRS inputs, only one combo input for these. So if I decide to pull the trigger on the sub I'll just use its bypass function.

Thanks for the input!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom