Any pedal compressors that work more like my rack compressor - not killing chords?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lek, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Lek

Lek Member

So I have an analogman bicomp and it's just like a keeley I had awhile ago - even with a slow attack and sustain all the way down - it still kills my chords. Individual notes are as loud as chords - completely killing dynamics. Now some of you have said in previous threads that this is what a compressor does.

However, you can set a rack unit to slightly compress the guitar - so that digging in or hitting a big chord will be compressed slightly compared to an uncompressed signal, but still a bit louder. Dialing in the right threshold, attack, release, and ratio, it is easy to set up mild compression - impossible with my pedals!

I can run through an fmr rnc compressor and get some light compression without killing it - hell even some old rack guitar effx processors had compressors that let you retain some dynamics. Are there any pedals like this (and while I want to try a barber tonepress - this does it with parallel compression, something not necessary with a rack unit).

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I think the joe meek FloorQ comp pedal could be what you are looking for, our analogman comps are really EFFECTS and can't be that subtle.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the carl martin compressor can be set like a PA unit, with a threshold light that lets you see (and set) when, where, and how much it starts squashing. i use mine as a lead booster on my acoustic guitar, where i'm trying to not "effect" the sound so much. it won't control release, but it will do everything else.

4. Lek

Lek Member

And I love the bicomp for what it does.

However, I still have used comps in guitar rack effects where it does act as an EFFECT (bringing up harmonics and exciting delays and overdrives, increasing sustain) yet still not squash all volume changes (allowing me to be louder hitting a chord)

I didn't mean to imply I want to merely control dynamics as a pristine pro audio compressor might do (like a pendulum ocl-2, cranesong stc-8 or GML 8900).

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

similarly, the old TC sustain+ compressors act & respond quite a bit more like many dedicated rack compressors do.
    i've been using the same one since 1979-1980;
    it's still rolling along.....
    dt / spltrcl

6. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Eric Johnson doesn't seem to have this issue w/ his MXR Dyna Comp, and thankfully-- neither do I.

7. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

You can set the Carl Martin to SQUISH like crazy tooo!!
    JIm

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Here's a great one that I'm using - the Maxon CP-9 Pro+...

http://www.godlyke.com/shopping/pgm...scat=13&frompage=Online_Store&page_num=1&=SID

"Featuring patented low-noise DBX compression technology with Threshold, Ratio, and Gain controls, the CP-9 Pro+ offers up to 30 dB of clean gain boost with a 10:1 maximum compression ratio.

Reduction status LED accurately displays compression effect while 18-volt circuitry provides maximum head room with ultra-low noise operation and full-frequency response for use with any instrument. TBS switching with 4PDT switch assures quiet, transparent operation in bypassed."

9. roflo

roflo Member

I own a commercial recording studio and love the sound of the old vintage comps....but they are not practical for a guitar rig....my favorite guitar comp to date is the Barber Tone Press......it allows you to dial in the amount of compressed and strait signal to your amp........it is basically paralel compressing......which is how I use most of my compressors in the studio

10. blacktip

blacktip Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for the Tonepress.It has an internal trimpot that goes from a more vintage to modern sound as well.Not that expensive.

11. SimonMorrison

SimonMorrison Member

Optical compressors are typically more transparent and, in my experience, are better at retaining dynamics. Check out Demeter and Strymon.