Any Pedals similar to Zvex Machine?

ooktar

Does anyone know if there are any pedals that do the same effect as the Zvex Machine? I've been wanting to check out the Machine for a while, but I can't justify paying Zvex's ridiculous prices for it. I'm hoping to find something that does more or less the same effect but a bit more budget friendly.

The Zvex Machine is apparently a Crossover Distortion, which I've only seen two other pedals that are labeled as such. The MI effects Crossover Drive, and the Brimstone Audio Crossover Distortion, but I don't know if either pedal is anything similar to The Machine. I also read somewhere that the Devi Ever Never Drive has a similar effect also.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

JSteed

Crowther Prunes and Custard uses crossover distortion and sounds kinds similar to me, but that's not exactly helping you save money sorry. I picked up a used Machine for a decent price. Really, really cool effect, especially for use in the studio, but yeah, I couldn't justify it for live use.

kp8

I own maybe 4, 5 zvex pedals. Not including 2 that are spendy new (ooh way ii, ringtone) and a custom paint fuzz factory. But this is the one pedal I really want but never buy because it is so absurdly hella overpriced for what it does. And as his demo states is made not to be used on its own but in conjunction with others. Why, in gods name then, does he not include another circuit in it for that price since he makes a half dozen flavors of dirt. For that price you'd think you would get a distortion with the ability to toggle in the machine's crossover distortion. At least then you'd be getting everything under one hood and more bang for you buck. The Machine has the lowest bang for buck in his line up. Still it is unique so I guess if you want to add crossover distortion to your dirty sound you only have one option. Boss HM2 has some crossover distortion I believe. Don't know any others. Would love to know.

JSteed

I thiiiiiink you can use the Sonar to get a straight Machine effect? I know the circuit's in there...

Occam

I miss mine. It had a weird way of cutting through fuzz but not in a searing volume way but in a blooming, harmonic way. I keep thinking about getting another but the price is a turn off. I only got the first one from a crazy sale at a local Guitar Center for $100.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I built the Madbean version, and for the amount I use it, it cost about what it's worth…

cmog

The MI Cross Over Drive is a more traditional American-amp based drive.

Not many pedals can get you the "Machine" sound. It uses a frequency tripling circuit that is more commonly used for wavefolders in synthesizers. It makes your audio signal sound like the phase is changing causing frequency and volume drops and really shines once your signal becomes more square wave so more fuzzes the better.

I haven't played it, but the Soundblox Multiwave Distortion has a multi-band foldback that, on paper, sounds like it will get you there. Not much cheaper though.