Any pedals w/overdrive like Klon's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gillibi, Jul 7, 2006.

1. gillibi

gillibi Member

I don't have the $ for a Klon but enjoyed it's drive sound. Are there any pedals out there that have a comparable overdrive sound?

Thanks!

2. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Tim (around $150) Timmy (around $110) ordered direct from Paul Cochrane....the wait can be pretty long. Use to be 4-6 weeks but looks like guys have been waiting longer than that. They can be had via ebay or here in the emporium for $150-200 if you're quick!

Anyway...I use my Klon and Timmy interchangeably. Mild crunch to clean boost. Both great pedals... I also like the Zvex Super Hard On and Super Duper 2 in 1.

3. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

Banzai Cold Fusion

4. Bernardduur

Bernardduur Member

I build something called "The Crank" which sounds very close to the Klon (as I A/B'ed them next to each other). It is around 100 euro's (included S&H)

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

6. exodus

exodus Member

I'd have to disagree. I don't think the klon and TIM are that much alike, tone wise.

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

So I take it you don't mean expensive and hard to get.:jo

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I can get my RC within shouting distance of the Klon. The only thing i find missing is a slight 'mid' grind.

9. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

That's cool...tone is so subjective. Something to keep in mind is that these pedals all have a particular character but they sound different from rig to rig. Most of my OD comes from my amps being pushed. I have Klon and Timmy setup to do a similar kind of thing (Klon is a bit fatter) and that's push my amp into OD. If you talk to Bill at Klon he'll ask you if you're happy with your tone. According to him Klon is designed push your amp and that's how I use it. In fairness I hear more of my amps drive with Klon and Timmy. Not really using either as a "distortion pedal" I use the OCD for that.

I still say if you want a pedal with killer drive and a clean boost which Klon is also good at....look at Tim or Timmy. They've got great EQ. They're not really that hard to get. I see at least one a week come up on the forum. And there's usually one or two on ebay....all usually with a 50-100% markup to what Paul charges. But still cheaper than the Klon by well over $100.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I can't qualify from experience, but I have heard/read people comparing the Klon to the Hotcake(s), one of the things that initially drew me to trying one.... great clean boost/low-mid gain pedal.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

this CRANK sounds cool! I have the 820 and would like to A/b it with this CRANK!

12. Sid

Sid Member