1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Any Pensa-Suhr owners out there?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 57gold, May 13, 2008.

1. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

Here is one of the last built before John moved west to CAA/Bradshaw, then the Fender Custom Shop and then founded Suhr Guitars:

[​IMG]

John has always been good at his art!!!

aliensporebomb likes this.
  2. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

The very reason I fell for Suhr's wares long ago. Seeing Knopfler with his was the very bug that bit my boutique nerve.

Beautiful. Yours? Needs to be played more. :D

Otto Tune likes this.
  3. 57gold

They all need more play.

Went into Rudy's to commision a guitar for my 33rd Bday (1990) and found out that John had tendered his resignation. Rudy was distraught...the Pensa-Suhr thing had gone global with MK, Frampton (then touring w/Bowie), S. Stevens and others with P-S instruments in their hands.

Rudy said no more Pensa-Suhrs, I about cried. Have another, a very 1980s one with a root beer quilt maple body, black hardware, EMG single coils and a very sweet bird's eye maple V neck. Wanted the big dog and had had a good year...

Rudy said that the last three P-S were to be MKs (or Customs as they were called) and he was buying them to hold. Invited Rudy and John to lunch at the new Cipriani restaurant up the street from the shop (outpost of the famed Harry's Bar in Venice). Had some great carpaccio (dish invented by Arrigo Cipriani), risotto and vino from the Veneto...a trip to Venice for a $150.

Returned to the shop and Rudy showed me the three unfinished bodies to be made into Customs. Rudy agreed to sell one and I picked the most figured one with the pencil flame. Had a relatively recent yellow PRS and this top screamed to be vintage bursted...so John, Rudy and I agreed, it was a burst and the rest is all MK, blocked Floyd, EMGs, Brazilian board.....

4. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

A used Pensa Suhr MK1 that I just missed out on was the thing that started me on my boutique guitar path. Now I have two Tom Anderson guitars and have since gotten rid of my other electrics.

That MK1 was sitting on the wall of a local used guitar shop. I picked it up and thought that it was the best guitar that I'd ever played. I went back a week later and was disappointed to see a sign on it that said "Sold: down payment taken". I came back every day for two months, hoping that the sale had fallen through, until one day I came into the shop to see an empty space where it had been. :(

Anyway, the Andersons I have feel and play just like that MK1, and the Anderson pickups are IMO even better than the EMGs. And those EMGs sound awesome in the MK1! :AOK

5. Izy

Izy Member

6. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

Those are stunning guitars! You're one lucky man.

7. EBGB

EBGB Member

To answer your original question, yes I have one

Built in '87, bought in '88-- It is a less fancy- perhaps a "student model" they tried. Black limewood body-- Canadian variant of basswood-- from La Si Do (Godin). It has a Charvel-ish vibe.

When I bought it it had SD'59 in middle and SD Holdsworth in bridge. I had John add a hot rails to neck position and refret with 6100s. I was very influenced then by my teacher Bill Connors, who was John's teacher too. I also had a heavy duty trem bar bolted on which involved cutting the block.

I played that guitar exclusively from '88 to the end of the 90s when I got more interested in Fenders. The super easy playability of that guitar really helped me get better. I haven't played it much for a while and now the flat radius and big frets seem unusual. But now I want to update the guitar.

I want to keep the original pickguard intact, but make a new one with H-S-H instead of H-H-S. I plan on 2 Bareknuckles VH2s and a Mother's Milk. I also want a normal trem bar-- the bolt-on one is too long. Then the guitar should again occupy a useable niche-- superstrat with great studio and VH-type sounds.

8. Millul

Millul Member

Sorry, but Carpaccio wasn't invented by mr Cipriani..it's
    a common dish, here, and you can find it prepared in many different ways!

Ah, the guitar looks stunning!

A-Bone likes this.
  9. Markgtr

Markgtr Member

Damn, I regret selling my creamsicle Pensa-Suhr. I found the radius too flat compared to my Fenders which I was playing more and more but the thing played amazingly.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Besides MK himself, the guitarist who really made me want a Pensa-Suhr was the guy from the SpinDoctors...Eric Schenkman.
    Gawd, what a GREAT PLAYER he is! I saw them in concert, loved his strat, and found out it was a P-S.

Dont have one, but I do have a Suhr Classic.

A beauty you have there, sir!

:dude

S.
    j

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    John 14:6 likes this.
  11. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

Guys no one mentions..Reb Beach of Winger he had a couple:cool:

John 14:6 likes this.
  12. 57gold

13. gotar

gotar Member

Wow! beautiful!

14. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

wonderful story!

more PICS!!!!! :dude

15. elynet

elynet Member

at the time, they used yellow dots on their fingerboards, why are yours white ? Is only a picture reflex or she don't have the original neck ? :BluesBros

Anyway..beautiful instrument.
    I had "a sister" of yours, built from John in February 1991 with full binding.
    Were there a chance to buy yours ?? ;-)) :crazyguy

16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

They were Mycarta and they would change color depending on what they are exposed to. I also had two versions of the Mycarta, one was darker than the other. We actually still use the same stuff .

Gar O'Brien likes this.
  17. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Those are beautiful, John.

I remember lusting over the pics in the old guitar mags of MK's Pensa-Suhr.

SA

18. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Me too. Wanted one of those so bad a few summers ago.

19. 57gold

Congrats on the continued success.

Played a Badger recently, nice little amp. Very flexible, easy to dial in great tone and quite sexy packaging. With a couple of Blues or a Gold, plenty of volume from an 18 watt amp.

Was not too far from your place last week in Temecula, a pretty part of the world. Snow on the mountains was beautiful in the morning sun. My good friends own/operate Pechanga Resort...some great, soulful musicians in tribe.

Happy holidays to you and your family,

Frank

Saw Rudy not long ago. Archtop maniac with a pretty cool new amp showroom. Did have Suhr amps on display.

20. Pensaboy

Pensaboy Member

I am a Pensa-Suhr owner

You can see it following my signature

Rocco

Millul likes this.