• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any Pet Shop Boys fans, here?

Neil & Chris have written some of the best electronic pop music EVER. I'm amazed how these two just keep inventing songs that are really good, incredibly melodic, and intelligent - compared to a lot of the 80s synthpop that wasn't nearly as "deep."

The most successful duo in U.K. music history according to the Guinness Book Of World Records. Wow.

Must-have album: VERY.
Anybody else dig a little electronica, once in a while?

MikeSRV69

I loved Pet Shop Boys back in the day. 'West End Girls' and 'Domino Dancing' still hold up well for me. I have always had an interest in electronic music, as I was in high school in the early to mid 80's when that kind of technology was a brand new and fascinating thing. I am not a purist of anything and don't care if your instrument is an old Tele or a Mac Book Pro. I got into hip hop and industrial in the old days, too, and still listen. I often play the blues and do MIDI sequencing in the same day, which is probably unusual around TGP. Thanks for reminding me of a band I had let slip off my radar for a while.

I loved Pet Shop Boys back in the day. 'West End Girls' and 'Domino Dancing' still hold up well for me. I have always had an interest in electronic music, as I was in high school in the early to mid 80's when that kind of technology was a brand new and fascinating thing. I am not a purist of anything and don't care if your instrument is an old Tele or a Mac Book Pro. I got into hip hop and industrial in the old days, too, and still listen. I often play the blues and do MIDI sequencing in the same day, which is probably unusual around TGP. Thanks for reminding me of a band I had let slip off my radar for a while.
I was floored to find out that Trevor Horn of the Buggles, and Yes - has produced some of PSB's material. That boy gets around! :D

sixty2strat

Not really and not my taste but the one hit they had in the US and a few flaming shots got me laid by the hot new transfer student in college. think the line was just wait till I get you home....that did the trick. So I will never say anything bad about them.

Horn was all over the place then, and got Howe on the FGTH song relax. Heard that years latter but when you hear it now it sounds so obvious

Cream

Not The Brightest Member
Silver Supporting Member
I know there's some renewed interest in them by the younger generation given that "West End Girls" is featured in Grand Theft Auto V.

I thought WEG was all they had ever done, too - and was surprised by how many great songs they had that I never knew were theirs.

Last edited:

GuitarGuy3

I've liked their music for a long time. It's a far reach from my typical guitar driven music but I really like their stuff. They have a ton of great songs.

DustyRhodesJr

Not really and not my taste but the one hit they had in the US and a few flaming shots got me laid by the hot new transfer student in college. think the line was just wait till I get you home....that did the trick.

I did the same thing in college, except the song line used was
"Everybody have fun Tonite
Everybody Wang Chung Tonite" :aok

(Not really, j/k on that one)

Do like Pet Shop Boys, and Wang Chung for that matter

ANALOG GUY

Great pop music with even better production, help from Dusty Springfield made it all the better.

dckdog

Silver Supporting Member
The Huang Chung album (before then changed to Wang Chung) is pretty great. Definitely more in line with the era. Hold Back the Tears is a great early 80's single.

Smakutus

I don't care for their style of music but I think covering their "Let's Make Lots of Money" tune a bit heavier with guitars would be cool..

Jeff

Top Bottom