Any pics of a blonde (not butterscotch) Tele with rw f'board and black pickguard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, May 18, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Title pretty much says it all -- it's a scheme I'm thinking about for redoing my Tele but I can't think of any examples -- looking for a visual image.

2. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

3. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

[​IMG]

There you go! Quite a looker too!

4. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

[​IMG]

There's another for you too :)

5. AshlandBump

Thanks -- and aged too! Hopefully other pics will come along too.

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

No problem! The shop that had that one, also had one in the same finish, with black binding, and matching finish on the headstock. It gave me the worst case of GAS i think i've ever had.

7. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Is tortoise close enough?

hunter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

sorry for the rookie question, but i'm not familiar with the 'blonde' finish... when i check sites like warmoth they list a transparent butterscotch blonde and a transparent mary kay white... is the 'blonde' the same as the mary kaye white? if not, what is it? just curious, because i'm in the middle of a partscaster with a rosewood neck and i like the idea of a transparent finish... thanks!

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I had a G&L ASAT with that color combo. White blonde on Ash. All black hardware... Best looking guitar ever... Sounded killer... Never should have sold it...

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

While Mary Kaye is whiter than the blonde on many old Teles, "butterscotch blonde" is really a dark transparent yellow which is an approximation of the color some of the original blonde finishes turned with time, esp. if they were exposed to lots of direct sunlight. Trouble is, when Fender began reissuing the '52 Telecaster back in the early '80s, they decided to go for a deep tinted finish which simulated that darkening effect instead of replicating the proper "NOS" blonde color. Compare the finish on Fender's NOS Nocaster reissue to the regular AV '52 Reissue to see the difference.

Btw, that aging effect occurs in part b/c the old Fender finishes were nitrocellulous lacquer- the finishes Warmoth offers are polyurethane, which is harder, thicker and is much less sensitive to light (and smoke, alcohol, bugspray etc...). It also tends to be heavier and can dampen wood resonance. YMMV.

12. jota

jota Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry. Just noticed you asked for rosewood necks...

13. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

wgs1230... thanks for schooling me! it makes sense now, that the original color was 'blonde' but attempts to replicate the original color after it's been aged are referred to as 'butterscotch blonde'... strange that warmouth doesn't offer 'blonde' as a color option though. but i still have a question about the 'mary kay white'... was that also an original color and how did it differ from the original 'blonde' color? thanks again! and by the way, the partscaster i'm doing will be finished by someone locally in nitro (i bought the parts unfinished from usacg) but i'm trying to decide what the most old school color combination would be for a rosewood neck/swamp ash body t style...

14. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Mary Kaye White was an original Fender color introduced in '56 for the Strat (the model Mary Kaye played), at which point the original Tele "blonde" finish had been around for @5 years. Not sure how many original Teles were finished in MKW, they're rare in any case.
    http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=168

Since the wood combination itself is a hybrid of the 50s/60s Teles (pre-CBS rosewood board models came with alder bodies, not s. ash, though there are examples in circulation of original '50s bodies with '60s replacement necks), I'd say go for what you like.

15. AshlandBump

Thanks for all the responses. To me, there's a huge difference between the first guitar (the aged one, slightly more yellow) than what appear to be newer, possibly poly finishes. All nice looking guitars, but that yellow tinge is what I would go with if I go that route.

16. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

many thanks again wgs1230, that's very helpful! in particular, the info on 'mary kaye' was really interesting and an area of guitar history that had escaped me... (what can i say, i'm a gibson guy and had a les paul & mary ford record growing up, but obviously have big gaps in my fender knowledge) granted, a rosewood board with a swamp ash body is a combination that wouldn't have been found together historically, but what are the vintage transparent finishes that would be typical of the pre-cbs teles?

17. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Check out Dave's guitars (davesguitar.com) for his "Tonequest" Tele. It's exactly what you describe. It also has the 9.5 radius with 6105 frets. A friend of mine has one and it's a great guitar.