Any players use Riveras here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hecticone, Jul 16, 2008.

1. hecticone

hecticone Member

Purchased a knucklehead tre a few months ago. After playing twins my entire life all I can say is wow. The cleans smoke the twin with a lot of head room. The hot side is really a smoking distortion. I only run the gain at 2.5 and that is a great sound for the blues. Equing very responsive wish I would have found this one a few years ago.:D

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a Chubster years ago. I don't know why but I grew tired of it after about 6 months. They're nice amps, they just aren't for me, I guess.

Enjoy.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Been playing Rakes for about five years now. Rivera good.

4. hecticone

hecticone Member

Yeah the honeymoon period is over and still darn impressed.

5. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I have owned and gigged Riveras for years. Knucklehead, R30, and a M60. Best cleans of any amp that I have ever heard. The gain channel can take a little tweaking but once you get it, it's all there.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

People rave about the Rake and Jake.

I have a Knucklehead Reverb and with the right tubes and speakers it came alive. Built like a tank and incredible switching capability. Ch.1 is one of the baddest Blackface channels I've heard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

My first "boutique" amp was a brand new Fandango 212. Great amp. This was about 6 years ago I guess. It was just too heavy and I sold it and thus started the revolving door of amps.

Everything from Victoria, Dr. Z, Holland, Fuchs, Koch, a few vintage Fenders, Fargan, Bruno, a couple Allens, a few Chandlers, Rockytop and Sommatone. There are others but I can't remember!

The Rivera and the Sommatone are the ones that were the best in my mind.
    In fact now I have a Chubster 40/112 that I pair up with a 112 cab sometimes.

To me it has every bit as good cleans as any of the amps I mention above with a lot more tweakability than most.

The Sommatone while a different beast is sorely missed too!

YMMV

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

My Quiana is my oldest amp (8 years or so). I will never get rid of it.

9. hecticone

hecticone Member

How long has Rivera been in business.

10. KeithC

I don't know for sure but it has been quite a few years. I guess after he left Fender he started up.
    Someone here will know!

11. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Being playing a Quinna for about 7 years and love it.

12. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I have one of their powered subs. Sounds great.

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a knucklehead 100 head, and I like it alright. I had to buy a Barber LTD to get some of the mid/dynamics that I thought were missing. I use the LTD and a Maxon compressor to get the amp where I want it to be tonally.

I only paid $600 for it about 5 years ago, and it's been my main amp since. With the new pedals, this thing reallllly rocks. The EQ knobs are very sensitive though, and I have found myself moving away from a lot of the settings that I started with. The great thing about their stuff is that as you evolve as a player and become a little more discerning with your ears, the tone is there with some knob adjustments.

14. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Try patching the effects loop with a short patch cable... turn the loop volume controls down and the front panel volume up... almost like an attenuator, it sounds very cool on my Knucklehead II.

15. hecticone

hecticone Member

Yeah theres two pedals that work really nice. One is the barber burn unit and the other is an ocean efx texas deuce. Those two really shine with the tre.

16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have an R100 that I bought new in '95. It's a really good, solid, versatile amp. It was my only amp for a long time. I have it for sale now locally but I'm thinking about taking it off the market and selling my Rectoverb head instead. For some reason, I can never seem to get rid of the thing (I meant that in a good way).

17. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Chubster 40W for a few months. It just didn't have the sound I could get out of my vibrolux reverb. I tried to love the rivera, it was incredibly well built and all, but, try as I did I could never really bond with it. So, I continue to use my Vibrolux reverb...and I am loving it!

P.

18. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

For a great clean sound, I always use the boost, turn the master to around 7.5 and change the gain as needed. The distortion is a bit hard to dial in, I never get the master above 2.5 or the gain past 5. There are some mods that you can do to change the boost levels on the riveras.

Edit: They are heeaaaavy on the bass. I never turn my above 3.5 on the clean, and 5 on the distortion. Set the focus and presence low as well.

Speakers are very important for those amps.

19. jhumber

jhumber Member

2006 was their 30th anniversary, so 32 years.

I've had my R55 for 2 years, done 150+ gigs on it, and it's never failed me once. Sounds great, records great, small, tough, awesome. I hope I never sell it.

A friend of mine bought the K-Tre 1x12 recently, and its truly devasting. The gain on that amp is like nothing else I've ever heard. If I had the spare cash, I'd have one already. Amazing amp.....

20. KeithC

Yeah, I always pull the boost on the clean channel. I don't really use the dirty channel much.