Any point in buying old lower end stuff?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by traynor_garnet, Mar 11, 2018.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

A Quadraverb came up for sale locally and it got me thinking: is there any point in buying/using the lower end stuff from previous decades? I know the high end stuff still holds up and packs great sounds, but has the lower end stuff like the Quadraverb simply become obsolete?

I have a zoom MS-50g on my board and I am thinking that perhaps it surpasses the old Quadraverb. Then again, maybe not . . .

TG

2. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

Sorry, but questions like this don't make sense around here. It's only about TONE, not whether a unit is new or old or has flashing lights that impress, etc.

If it's cheap take a risk and buy it. If you love the tone and it inspires you, call it a win and report back to the forum how you used it and what you loved about it. If not, flip it or bin it.

JK

3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

I loved the Quadraverb for reverb and delay. The only reason I got rid of mine was that it didn't have spill over. I still think about picking another up though.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  4. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

A lot of elitists here view Boss and DOD, et al, as "pedestrian".

I only ask myself 3 questions:

1. Can I use this for something musical?
    2. Is it acceptably quiet?
    3. Is the cost reasonable?

If it passes those hurdles, it's good.

Mosher Zone, awallace and JmpOne like this.
  5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Define musical/acceptably quiet/reasonable cost...

6. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

The best reasons to go with old lower-end stuff are if the devices do cool, unique things, or if they just sound particularly good or "right" at doing a specific sound.

Old delay lines might not do as many things as algorithmic delays, but samplerate modulation can sound uniquely good. Sometimes an amazingly cool algorithm will show up in a cheap box, like reverse pitch-shifting delay in Boss half-rack boxes. Or you'll find a surprisingly capable workflow on the cheap, like the feedback insert path for Lexicon MPX-1 delays. And the Digitech IPS-33b just sounds "right" for recreating the glitchy-grainy OG Whammy sounds that the WH-1 made.

Generally, though, I would say try to save for a better box, often for not a lot more. Either a Ensoniq DP Pro at $250 or a PCM-80 at $400-ish is very capable at many things and worth holding onto even when you can afford more.

JmpOne likes this.
  7. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

IMO, if the price is right the QUADRAVERB has its uses...but that price would be fairly low.

8. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

"Old lower end stuff" can be excellent sounding IMHO. The Alesis Midiverb and Boss SE70 are good examples. Inexpensive and sound exceptionally good to me. Not certain how the Quadrverb stacks up to the Midiverb, or if it came before or after. Many have idiosyncrasies (like a circuit board mounted battery in the SE70 that goes weak and needs to be changed) but that makes them more lovable and entertaining. Low risk, high reward as far as I'm concerned.

elyke likes this.
  9. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I checked again and it is actually a Midiverb III (oops). I owned a Midiverb 4 back in the 90s and thought is was really cool, but 20 year old memories can be deceiving.

I don't understand some of the responses here. The very reason I posted was to see if the unit was known for any particularly cool sounds or possibilities. Of course it's about tone: my board name and the fact I use a Zoom should indicate I am not a brand elitist: I use what sounds good regardless of what its costs (expensive stuff or cheap stuff).

At any rate, it seems this isn't renowned for a particular effect; at $50 Canadian, it is still kind of hard to pass by.

Thanks for all your input,
    TG

10. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

I had a Midiverb III in the very early 90s. I ran the stereo outputs of an ADA preamp into it and had an ART Midi footswitch (X-15) to switch pre programmed patches in the ADA that had a corresponding unique patch from the Midiverb. I ran this into a Marshall Jubilee combo's effects loop "return" jack.
    Lots of interesting reverbs, gated, reverse, etc.

11. 5992

5992 Member

I bought a mint Midiverb III about a year ago via Craigslist. It looks brand new. I like the sounds, but the delay only goes up to 400ms, IIRC. I wish it had a longer delay time. But that's my only gripe.

12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I used a couple of Quadraverbs in my old rack set up. When I played live, with reverb/delay coming through a 4x12, it still sounded killer.
    Quadraverbs a good units when you’re not trying to make them do
    a bunch of effects at the same time.

sportycliff likes this.
  13. mark123

mark123 Member

Last I heard Tommy Emmanuel is still using a Midiverb II or III live as his only effect and loves them. I remember buying a Midiverb III when they first came out to go along with my Peavey Rockmaster preamp back in the day mainly because it was about the cheapest delay/verb that you could buy at the time new and it was all I could afford. I had fond memories of that combo.

14. juniorlespaul

juniorlespaul Member

I have a Midiverb in my old rack. Definitely has great reverb choices, and delay. I used it with a pair of Mesa Boogie amps, a Heartbreaker and a Blue Angel, and the midiverb reverb in stereo. Old sound can be great sound.

15. PSH

PSH Member

I picked up a Lexicon MPX 100 the other day for $49. The unit has very limited control of the effects, but has some good sounds inside (and for less than the price of an overdrive pedal, why not?). I really like the tape slap preset for thickening the sound for 80s rock/metal. I'm running some detune in parallel on the MPX-1 and the combination sounds good together.

Pete