Any Pro Tools experts? PT8 question...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gtrdave, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'm currently running PT8 LE w/ an original Mbox on my Core2Duo iMac.
    Max sampling rate is 48k.
    I'd like to be able to record @ 88.2/96k and it seems like the only way to do this CHEAP is via an older Mbox 2 Pro...OR can I get a third-party interface (like a Tascam US1800 or similar) that is 88.2/96k compatible and, leaving the Mbox plugged in, have Pro Tools recognize it?

Yeah, I could upgrade to PT9 or 10, but I'm trying to avoid spending $1000+ once I buy the software and new hardware AND upgrade my Mac's OS (from it's current 10.5.8...hey, if it ain't broke...).

2. Tazboy

Tazboy Member

One potential problem is PT may not recognize both the MBox and a second interface plugged into it (i.e., there can only be one interface active at a time). While the MBox acts as the PT authorization device, it may also have to be active as the interface, thus it controls the sample rate. PT8 may not even recognize a non-PT interface. I have never tried plugging in two interfaces with PT8 so I could be totally wrong about this.

It appears your only reasonable choice is to find a PT8 compatible interface capable of running at 96k.

3. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

I dont think you can run 2 interfaces in Pro Tools. I know you can in Logic. Maybe they changed it in 8...or 9...or 10...

But, you can certainly try - I've never tried it:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/quick-tip-use-multiple-audio-interfaces-on-mac-os-x/

However, you cannot run a third party interface with 8. Gotta go up to 9 for that.

And if your original mbox maxes out at a sampling rate, thats it. Doesnt matter if you have another.

MBox 2's are cheap. 002s are cheap. Heck, even 003 racks are getting cheap.

I would upgrade the interface - or upgrade to PT9 and get a nice 3rd party interface

4. kenneth

kenneth Member

Seems the Mbox 2 pro is not capable of 96K, and lists 48k as max in their doc.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Mbox_2_Pro_Setup_Guide_v80_56109.pdf

check page 2.

You could pick up a cheap 003 rack, seems these go for $300 online.

Another option, may be to find a NOS PT8->PT9 upgrade pack, these were sold (before PT10) for $249. PT8->PT9 is a worthwhile upgrade IMO, it frees you from the digi HW and also has delay compensation.

The upgrade from 8 --> 10 is 499, but it seems there are some HW restrictions to get that price, they are listing that the original mbox does not qualify. Avid sure likes to make things complicated.

5. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Yeah, the Mbox 2 Pro won't do 88.2 or 96k when clocked from an external source, but will when set to internal.

So, I'll save the money I might have spent on another 3rd party piece of gear and upgrade my current Digi hardware to an 002 or 003 and then plan for a PT9 or 10 upgrade later in the year.

6. kenneth

kenneth Member

Couple additional notes, the PT8 --> PT9 (and most likely to PT10) requires you to have a registered current digi interface that has not already been "upgraded". Keep this in mind when you buy a used 002/003/whatever, it may or may not have already had a PT8 --> PT9/10 upgrade claimed against it.

If you have any interest in 11Rack, that is probably the best deal to get PT10 right now. Buy PT10 outright for $699, or...buy an 11Rack w/PT10 w/expansion pack for $899.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Unless you're recording super-critical stuff, in a great room, there's really no point in doing more than 44.1 or 48.

Even then, the jury's still out.

24-bit is cool tho, so you don't have to mess with levels as much.

8. Snap

Snap Member

Upgrading to PT 9 or 10 is worth the price for delay compensation alone!

And I've always found that the sound difference between 16-bit and 24-bit is more noticeable than the difference between 44.1kHz and 96kHz. Of course most people convert both rather than one or the other. Also, many big name producers and engineers make great sounding (major label) recordings at 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

9. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Yes, I totally agree. I may have to convince the engineer to back the sample rate down to 44.1 and keep the 24 bit.

10. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I just cleaned up my Protools 8 and got it running again. Basically, this just meant getting all the wires cleaned up and finding all of the pertinent files.

I really was not happy that with my "upgrade" to PT 8 I lost the version of Amplitube that I had gotten free, and "Eleven Lite" was no compensation for that at all (it is crap, but to be clear I am talking about the very limited free version that comes with PT). But I was quite happy with the Amplitube I had and it won't evn load anymore.

Getting Sampletank working with PT8 was no simple task either, but I got there. Anyway, I am up & running again and it is all very stable. All I have is XP 32-bit on a Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM, but it doesn't die on me ever.

The hardest thing about Protools is remembering how everything works.

What is "Delay Compensation" as in PT9? I remember reading something about PT 8 being off by just a matter of a small number of samples, but that people had figured out a trick to fix each track. I assume it is related to that?

11. alamere

alamere Member

I agree.
    I have recorded in both and OFTEN preferred the sound of 44.1 over 96k.
    Unless you absolutely have to have 96k, the switch between the two really seems pointless to me, sonically. Yes it's different.. it may actually be worse though, not better.. just FYI.

12. alamere

alamere Member

I agree with this as well.. when doing any kind of mixing, delay compensation rules. A true Godsend.

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

PT9 requires Win7 but still only runs in 32 bit. Just remember that. PT8LE requires the MBox. M-Powered PT8 requires a M-Audio Interface. Those are your limiting factors.

I crossgraded to Presonus Studio One Pro. ADC and not tied to any particular brand of interface anymore.