Any pros playing Squier?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingofrats, Oct 8, 2019.

1. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Yes. He would to the trouble of having it's fretboard scalloped so he could smash it. Sure.

2. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

That CS builder was @Ron Thorn
    It was a cool video
    Edit: found it...

derekd, Gig Young and HesNot like this.
  3. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

My 2003 Squier Standard has been my favorite since I bought it new. I love mine. I just put a new neck on it after wearing out the frets. I've never played another strat that I liked better for me.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Nice! I love Oceansize and his latest solo record is quite good, too.

Markdude likes this.
  5. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

My newer Sq Strat is great

Little narrow on the neck, but that's ok
    Need to hv tone control for bridge pip

monty likes this.
  6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Dude's otherworldly.

7. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I Watched ELO live on TV and one guitarist used a Squier Strat and the other played an Epi Les Paul.

derekd likes this.
  8. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

find one with a good neck. if u can, ur set! just swap pups and harness! and feel free to beat it up - its “just” a squier !

9. Spudman

Spudman Member

Francis Dunnery had a pretty good career with It Bites and played a Squier.

10. White Limo

White Limo Member

Frankly Pearson is the only example you need. And he has a BUNCH of them now. Through a Blues Jr and a tubescreamer. Sounds amazing. Truly shows how it is the Indian not the arrow.

I have a J Mascis Jazzmaster and I honestly do not know what else I’d be paying for by spending another thousand bucks. Maybe a mastery bridge but I could throw one on for nothing. It’s such a good guitar, rock solid, sounds amazing. I can’t find an issue. It’s just really good. I’m not a pro by any means but I don’t see any reason I would need to swap my guitar if I was.

Gig Young likes this.
  11. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I actually the neck on Affinity Squiers. A friend of mine just bought one precisely because of the neck carve. It's the 40.something nut width that some 70's Fenders had.

I don't know what's the criteria for "Pros" here but I've spotted a few Squiers, even Affinity guitars, on KEXP videos.

monty likes this.
  12. MSW

MSW Member

When I saw Jawbox on their reunion tour back in June, J Robbins played half the set with his USA Schecter Hellcat, and the other half with a Classic Vibe Telecaster Deluxe.

TheNewWhatNext likes this.
  13. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

The red HH Squier Strat std. I bought with hardshell case for $75 is fast becoming my favorite guitar to fiddle with.
    Looked like this when I bought it
    [​IMG]
    Now looks like this
    [​IMG]

monty likes this.
  14. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

Got a pic? I've never seen Yngwie with a scalloped Squier, ever. I have seen him play MIJ Squiers and smash them though. Dude has strats from the 50s that are scalloped. He's never played a Squier for any reason other than to destroy it later. He barely even plays his made in US signature models.

15. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

Tom DeLonge .. Uses a Squier almost exclusively .. Or at lrast he did for MANY years

derekd likes this.
  16. 65inside

65inside Member

It was his main guitar until it was stolen in 2012.
    I think he got it back but he's been playing a Nash tele for a few years now.

PosterBoy likes this.
  17. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I used to get that question a lot when I gigged a Hamer Monaco. Guitar people would be complimentary, but a few of them would mention how much more awesome it would be if I only had a "real" Les Paul. So I'd tell them I had a couple of CS Les Pauls at home, and the conversation became:
    "Oh! You just play this so you can keep those babies safe! I get it!"
    "Nah, I just play this because it's a much better guitar."

I'm still kicking myself for not immediately buying a CV Squier Tele that cost less than the pedal I was checking out with it.

18. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

In the early 80's all he played was Japanese Fenders on tour. He had the fret board scalloped. The current US Strats at the time were **** quality and felt terrible. He also had some Japan made Squiers (they came off the same line) and Fernandes. He was going to endorse Fernandes but they wouldn't scallop the fret boards so he turned them down. I guess since the Squiers of the day were a few bucks less than the Japanese Fenders he was touring with, and much less than the vintage stuff, he might have smashed them. Maybe he was smashing the Fenders, too? They were quality guitars, and mine is heavy as hell so it must have been quite the task to smash them. Seems like a shame...they were nice guitars. Nowadays the market is flooded with lousy Affinity Strats so he could buy them in bulk. The whole smashing guitar thing is dumb anyways.

19. Nelly

Nelly Member

One of my favourite tones also! The whole album is amazing, wish I still had an SACD player, the surround mix was so good!

Where did you get the gear info? I thought he was mainly a vintage guitar guy by that point.

20. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Supporting Member

I actually got that info from another TGP thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/cardigans-a-good-horse-what-amp-is-this.703706/

I believe someone got the information from another forum (gearslutz) where a member works/owns the studio where the song was recorded.