• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any prs experts out there?

kolbyt85

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought this yesturday, and im pumped bc its the first ive had with birds... now my question is if it is a ten top? i didnt think she was , but when i took out the pickup to put the chrome covers on it said ten top... under the treble pickup. but theres no ten on the back of the headstock (my guess this is before they started doing that)
Its a 1996 ce22, and im guessing it is a ten top?
any help would be appreciated

Here she is

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
I gotta say, that looks like a 3-piece top, and I have never seen that on a PRS. Impressive flame, though. Not sure.

Taller

Gold Supporting Member
I've also never seen a 3-piece top on a PRS.:huh
The 10-top designation goes back to the late 80's, so yes, by 1996 it would be possible to see a 10-top.
On PRSs that have it written in the p'up cavity but not on the headstock, the thought before finish was applied was that it would be a 10-top, so somebody noted it in the cavity. During finishing, the maple might not take the stain as expected, so the 'official' designation on the back of the headstock doesn't happen.
I'd write a note to PRS's customer service with the serial number and maybe a photo - the fact that it's 3-piece is really odd.

SharkAtl

If there is one thing that PRS has over Fender and Givson it is customer service. If you gave them a call with the serial number, they could give you all the details on the guitar. I have three PRSi myself, and while I do not consider myself an expert, I too have never seen a three piece PRS top. Enjoy your CE22, though, as it is one of my favorite guitars!!

JPetty

Ask the guys on the Birds and Moons Forum, they know absolutely everything about PRS guitars. It's ridiculous how much PRS knowledge is floating around on that forum, however many of those guys post hear as well. It might save time going there.

ScottR

Silver Supporting Member
Ive seen 3 piece tops on PRS EG models but never a Carved top...Very Nice top. FYI I don't think CE's came with 10 tops

n8cjohn

Check the MODCAT code that should be on a sticker under the neck pickup.

It will look like this:
CUM2FTHFIBS_RB_ND-D5

Decoded, the example tells you:

MODEL: Custom
TOP WOOD: Maple
FRETS: 22 frets
TOP SPEC: Figured
TOP SPEC: Ten-top
NECK WOOD: Mahogany
NECK CARVE: Wide Fat
FINGERBOARD WOOD: Indian Rosewood
INLAY: Birds (pre - 08)
BRIDGE: Straight Stoptail
COLOR: Royal Blue (stained binding)
HARDWARE: Nickel
TREBLE PU: Dragon 2
MIDDLE PU: not applicable
BASS PU: Dragon 2
ELECTRONICS: 5-way Rotary

You can enter your own MODCAT number at this site for decoding:

http://guitme.bravehost.com/

kolbyt85

Silver Supporting Member
sweet.. i will check that sticker when i get home. Under the bridge it also said 3piece top, and some other info.
If that doesnt work ill just call ...
Thanks!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
It's a CE?

No non 10. They didn't do 10 tops on CE's.
Someone must've thought that looked cool, so they did it anyway.
Never seen a 3 pcs.
Nice guitar.

CE with birds is pretty damn rare too.

Chiba

Some guitars will get tagged as possible 10 tops before they're finished. Once they're stained, then they make the final determination. If it says "10" on the back of the headstock, it's a 10 top. If not - not.

I've seen 3-pc tops on PRSi before - not commonly though.

Shark Sandwich

Silver Supporting Member
I also have never seen a 3 piece top on a CE, or a Custom for that matter. PRS did make some of the early 90s EG bolt ons with 3 piece maple tops. I'm more than a little suspicious about your guitar's originality.

kolbyt85

Silver Supporting Member
Some guitars will get tagged as possible 10 tops before they're finished. Once they're stained, then they make the final determination. If it says "10" on the back of the headstock, it's a 10 top. If not - not.

I've seen 3-pc tops on PRSi before - not commonly though.
well maybe thats why it says ten top in the pickup cavity but no ten on the headstock..?

kolbyt85

Silver Supporting Member
I also have never seen a 3 piece top on a CE, or a Custom for that matter. PRS did make some of the early 90s EG bolt ons with 3 piece maple tops. I'm more than a little suspicious about your guitar's originality.
well im not really "suspicious" on the originality really bc it has all the prs paperwork from the store it was purchased at etc.., but nothing stating it was a ten top. so i was just curious on the marking inside the treble pickup cavity stating so. its a 1996 with a bolt on neck..

big mike

Cathode biased
Just means it was a possible 10...at which case it would've become a custom.

When it was down graded, it became a CE.

Awesome guitars, Sometimes I like the CE's betst

kolbyt85

Silver Supporting Member
Just means it was a possible 10...at which case it would've become a custom.

When it was down graded, it became a CE.

Awesome guitars, Sometimes I like the CE's betst

AHH.. gotcha... im not really prs savvy... i wish i was.. i am signing up for the birds and moons forum right now!
Here is another pic , just bc

(before the chrome pickup covers)

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm - for some reason I was thinking that you could get that 3-piece 10-top on the CE models for a little while - it was during that same time that they offered the 3-piece 10-top on the EGs; maybe a little longer. It was a very short-lived era and I just don't really remember back that far.

The OP also has one of the pretty rare CEs with birds based on that second photo.

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
Minor thread hijack: Would a '92 CE have a nitro top? I bought a used one and don't know what's safe to clean/polish the top with. Pretty sure I have some Dunlop formula 65 at home.

Top Bottom