Any quality guitars like a Schecter Omen 6?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWK, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JWK

JWK Member

I've been on the hunt for a decent, lower cost guitar for quite a while. I took suggestions and thoughts I got from responses in the "Why I will never find a guitar" thread I posted last year and went on a search, playing anything I could get my hands on in music stores wherever I could go/travel. Some of the results surprised me.

The biggest surprise? Scale length. I find I actually prefer the 25.5" scale. I've always preferred Gibson/humbucker type guitars over Fender/single coil types. What I have found is that what I really like is the 25.5" scale with two humbuckers and a TOM or wrap around bridge. This does it for me. Different woods give me different flavors, but if it's a good guitar, I'll like it. However, at this point in time I have extremely limited funds, and that presents the challenge.

So I stop in my local shop and pick up a Schecter Omen 6. This is obviously geared toward kids playing that music that has cookie monster singers. 25.5" scale, maple/rosewood bolt on neck, 24 frets, strat style body (basswood) with two buckers, TOM bridge with strings through body, one volume, one tone and selector switch.

The top of the guitar is carved sort of like a Hamer. It's dished down around the outside, but the very center where the pickups and bridge sit is flat. One very interesting note is that in the very middle of the body (where the pickups are) to the back is significantly thicker than your standard 1.75" Fender body. Maybe two inches, maybe as much as 2.25". Whether this contributes to the tone, I can't say but I found it did fit me much better (ergonomically).

THINGS I LIKE:

25.5" scale, TOM bridge, two humbuckers, balance and general fit, big frets (another surprise for me), control placement, weight.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

24 frets, horrible dead spot on the G string at 13th and 14th fret (these same notes (G#, A) are almost as bad on the B string but not quite), strings ride against the bridge before going over the saddles due to the position of where the strings come out the top of the body (not back far enough).

Now this guitar is only $300, but the horrible dead spots and the strings on the bridge are the deal breakers (in that order). I mean, they can't be fixed.

Try as I might I cannot get myself to like the nice MIM standard HH strat that's also hanging on the wall. Great neck (only 21 frets though - yech), good fret work, good tone, no really bad dead spots. It just has that Fender strat sound that does not work for me and it just does not fit me right. No strat ever has. The funny thing is, teles do fit me if the weight is right. Go figure. I'm not even bother trying to figure out the "why" anymore. I'm just accepting what works for me and will go from there.

So after all that, anyone have any ideas on how to get a guitar that's designed generally like an Omen 6 without the problems I've listed?

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. I've tried all sorts of semi hollow and hollow body guitars. Just can't seem to get on with that kind of tone and response. A good solid body just does it for me.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Ibanez SZ series? You'd have to be okay with mahogany, though.

3. JWK

JWK Member

I'm fine with mahogany and I've played lots of SZ guitars. Never found one that sounded better than pretty bad. Just my experience so far.

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

It seems to me you may be stuck looking at guitars from the same Korean manufacturer: Schecter, Cort, Agile, Washburn, Samick, etc. Ibanez was the only exception I could think of with only 22 frets. Anyway, I'm sure you can find an example without dead spots.

5. JWK

JWK Member

24 frets is not a deal breaker for me. It's hard (at least for me) to put everything in a post and prioritize it properly. I don't expect to find everything I want for under $500, but having the strings push against the TOM bridge is just a rediculous design oversight. Finding one without a bad dead spot is probably finding the right sample. Funny thing; there are two identicle Omen 6s in this store. One sounds like utter crap and the other sounds really good. Both have the same dead spots equally. Go figure.

6. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

Have you tried any Godins? How about a Reverend? Or maybe an Ibanez or used HH Tele.

7. JWK

JWK Member

It's "identical", you knucklehead. Oh wait, that was me...

8. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

If 24 frets are okay, then give the Washburn X series a shot for a similar form factor to the Schecter. Agile and the others are mostly online deals and won't be easy to find in most stores.

9. JWK

JWK Member

Hey Ben, I'll check those out. Thanks.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You might want to look at the Schecter C-1. There are a number of models with the C-1 body and they introduced a new bolt-on neck recently that should be well within your price range.

Good Luck

11. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I bought a fabulous Godin when they first came out. Incredible sounding guitar with superb action and sustain. Wide flat neck, great fretwork. It was around $1350.00 though. I imagine one could be had for around $900 used.

12. JWK

JWK Member

Any other ideas for *any* 25.5" scale with two buckers?