Any Quilter Mach 3 users out there?

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Question about Mach 3 vs. Cub — the one thing that bothers me about my Cub is a subtle but persistent narrow-band peak in the upper mids that can make it a bit ear-fatiguing. Speaker break-in has softened but not entirely eliminated this. I know the speaker in the Mach 3 is different (a Celestion Copperback vs. a proprietary Eminence in the Cub). Can anybody say if the Mach 3 is a little smoother/less pokey in the upper mids, while still having the Cub’s nice openness and chime?
I've now had time to get my Mach 3's speaker pretty well broken end and I am not getting that spiky upper-mid peak you are referencing (and I do also hear that peak in my Cub as well). I'm pretty impressed with the Copperback in the Mach 3. It is a super flexible speaker and sounds great with both the Brit and US voicings in the M3.

CptSensible

What are your questions?
I guess I’m just looking for more impressions. I currently have a Fender TMTR and a Vox Pathfinder 15R. These basically cover my go-to tones, but the Mach 3 sounds intriguing if it can basically cover this same ground (and more) in a single amp. But if I was to get the Mach 3, it would necessarily mean unloading those two amps.

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I’m just looking for more impressions. I currently have a Fender TMTR and a Vox Pathfinder 15R. These basically cover my go-to tones, but the Mach 3 sounds intriguing if it can basically cover this same ground (and more) in a single amp. But if I was to get the Mach 3, it would necessarily mean unloading those two amps.
It’ll more than adequately cover the Pathfinder’s role, but the Twin isn’t a comparison I can make. I like the ‘65 voicing very much, but I’m not a purist when it comes to Fender sounds. This may truly require a test drive…

I can add that I enjoy the built in tremolo to a surprising degree. I was never really a fan of the effect before, but the Quilter version has good depth control.

Oakley

Silver Supporting Member
I found I was using my Micro Pro Mach 2 combo more than any of my tube amps (3X Mesa LSS, Express 5:25). The 2-channel Mach 3 version is exactly what I was hoping for. Don't have one yet, but I will. The voicings are great. With the direct out I feel like I can use this amp for anything I'm doing these days, including outside festivals.
I found a Mach 3 on eBay in a custom cabinet with cool ostrich covering. The control panel faces forward, which I much prefer to the top-mounted design. The builder used the same Copperback speaker as the Quilter cabinet. I couldn't be happier. I thought there'd never be a solid state amp I'd like, but the Quilter is different.

I find I need to have limiter set pretty low - like 9-11 o'clock - in order for the limiter to "let go" anything like a tube rectifier. But it depends on the gain setting too.

The coolest thing about the amp - aside from being solid state and weightless - are the voicings. Some of these sound like they've been tweaked compared to the Mach 2. I really like the clean '65 tone.

Attachments

• 7A334D72-5C82-41AA-96F0-25E4925D1A18.jpeg
    7A334D72-5C82-41AA-96F0-25E4925D1A18.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 27

Trending Topics

Top Bottom