1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Any RC Booster users that leave it on?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by walkers, May 24, 2011.

1. walkers

walkers Member

I love this pedal for playing clean or lead boosts but recently stumbled across leaving it on and then hitting my overdrives...wow, what a thick 3-D tone!

Anyone else leave it on all the time? ...and if so, I assume first in the chain is the best place for running it like this?

2. amc

amc Member

when using a strat, my rc booster usually stays on.......

3. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

me.

it's on all the time... i use a BB mid boost as my main OD on top of it... with a keeley TS-808 for leads... all into a bassman.

if i take the RC out of the mix... the sound just isn't the same.

i don't play humbucker guitars all that much... but when I do... sometimes i have to turn the RC off. it varies.

4. Speedy Fingers

Speedy Fingers Member

THIS. I have been wanting the BB MB for a while now! How is the sound with just that and the RC?

I love my RC. It makes everything sound fuller and rounder in the best way possible.

5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Me too, but it's usually the only pedal I use. So I'm not stacking it with other OD's.

Strat, Vibrolux Reverb, RC......good stuff!

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i dont have one, but ive seen most people leave it on, and its either first in the chain, or last.

7. boldaslove1977

it is unbelievable. it turns my bassman into a roaring marshall. the BB with the mid boost is incredibly versatile. i generally set mine with the gain fairly high... at about 2:00-3:00 or so... then i roll back as i need to.

i don't have any studio-style clips... but i have a few youtube clips from gigs that can give you an idea...

0-7 is all 3 pedals... that's the end of a longer solo
    8-24 is the RC/BB mid boost
    24-40 is just the RC

most of this clip is the RC/BB combo... the volume knob is rolled back a bit during the verses.

this is the RC and a tube screamer...

and even more fun... add in an octafuzz! 1:25 of this clip... i think this is the RC, tube screamer and the octafuzz...

mine is in the middle... i have it after fuzz/wah/vibe... then everything else comes after the RC.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

like my Timmy, when I use the RC it's always on and I use the guit volume knob and/or another pedal for drive.

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Yup, in both of my bands. 1 band, I use it more like an EQ but, in the other band, it's a full on boost. I just ride the volume knob!

10. helio

helio Member

My real "always-on" tone fattener is the RC's cousin, the EP Booster. Great in that role.

BUT... sometimes the RC is nearly always on. As the poster I quoted noted, I use the RC Boost as a solo boost. After OD pedals, before modulation. But often in the course of a gig, I'll throw it on, and then just ride volume for levels. Alternating this combo can give you a great range in rhythm gain options.

11. walkers

walkers Member

Good ideas on placement as well...I think I'll keep it before the dirt boxes, it seems to give a nice platform for everything especially when I play the classic 30, the RC can push a little bass and thicken that amp up a bit.

Thanks for the clips Boldaslove, nice playing!!

12. blasius01

blasius01 Member

I never turn it off... I have it last in my chain. I use it mostly for the sweet EQing i can get out of it

13. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Heard a GREAT sounding rig the other day - talked to the guitarist, and he said his had been on most of the show. It was a rack rig, with a GCX (Hotcake, micro POG, RC boost, FullDrive, EHX memory man) and a Line6 DelayPro and Mod Pro. Some jaw dropping tone.

14. walkers

walkers Member

...so if you put it after the drives, wouldn't more of the RC flavor be heard than the drive pedal??

I guess I was thinking that by putting the RC in front that the character of the drives that followed would be heard more clearly. (or is the RC that transparent?)

...or am I just thinking too much? ha ha

15. helio

helio Member

I really think the RC is truly that transparent. I've tried others for solo boost, but the RC is the one that I feel really just gives me more volume on the tone I've already established with my ODs.

I put it after the drives because of this simple rule (which I've found to largely be true):

A boost pedal placed before an OD will drive more gain in the OD pedal, rather than really just boosting volume. After an OD pedal, the booster drives volume more than affecting gain. I wanted the latter.

16. walkers

walkers Member

This makes sense, and explains why I like mine before overdrives - I felt my amp run clean had almost too much headroom and I wanted earlier breakup, enter the RC Booster. Now with the RC on it hits the front of the amp into a bit of a breakup first.

17. markschick

markschick Supporting Member

Anybody stack a timmy on top of the rc booster always on?

18. boldaslove1977

thank you sir!

19. jhuse

jhuse Member

I have 2 RCs - they are setup differently for different guitars. But which ever one I am using, it's always on. Also, I run them after my OD pedals, because I prefer the way they interact post-OD vs. pre.

great pedal.

20. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

There is a youtube clip of Greg V. playing a Timmy and RC. Seals the deal for me.

I have used the RC first as a base tone from the amp and after dirt to give everything a volume fattening boost.