• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any reason not to put Compressor Pedal before Tuner and Volume Pedal?

Jarhead

I know that typically you wouldn't order your pedals this way, but I have a pretty complicated switching system on my pedalboard and this is the only way to achieve what I need to do.

So it would be Keeley Comp > EB VP jr > TU-2 > rest of my pedals.

I just want to see if there is any reason I shouldn't do this

thanks alot.

aziltz

because it sounds better after dirt pedals.

just my opinion.

but it would probably act to buffer the volume pedal and that would be good.

eclipseall

I have my compressor second in my chain, after my tunner and before my wah. I find that this way the wah, whammy and phaser just sounds so much better when the compression is happenning before them.

I think you will like what you hear.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
There's technically no reason why you shouldn't do anything. Pedal order is all about preference. Of course, there are ideals that people would recommend..but it doesn't limit you to only using that order. In your particular purpose, I don't see a problem in doing that. Especially since your EB Vol pedal is using passive electronics (thus a huge amount of tone suck if you run it first in your chain), your keeley comp can help function as a buffer to retain some of the highs. In fact, since you are using a TU-2, another possible order you can consider is Keeley Comp -> TU-2 -> EB. But anyway, whatever you have now is fine.

JB Eckl

If you are a big volume pedal user, having the compressor first makes sense. Using the volume pedal on an already compressed signal is really fun because your chords/notes are sustaining and you have lots of time to ride the volume, a la Andy Summers. By contrast, a dynamics processor after a volume pedal will try to 'undo' your volume moves. The opposite of what you want. (Sort of like tremolo - if you compress a tremolo guitar track, a lot of the tremolo effect disappears).

As far as the tuner goes, tuners actually like to see a compressed signal because the sustain is longer, giving it more time to latch onto the note.

So I would say put it first, unless you are in love with the way it sounds after a particular dirt pedal.

thetangmang

If you are a big volume pedal user, having the compressor first makes sense. Using the volume pedal on an already compressed signal is really fun because your chords/notes are sustaining and you have lots of time to ride the volume, a la Andy Summers. By contrast, a dynamics processor after a volume pedal will try to 'undo' your volume moves. The opposite of what you want. (Sort of like tremolo - if you compress a tremolo guitar track, a lot of the tremolo effect disappears).

As far as the tuner goes, tuners actually like to see a compressed signal because the sustain is longer, giving it more time to latch onto the note.

So I would say put it first, unless you are in love with the way it sounds after a particular dirt pedal.

Good points. I think people who have tuners with +/- .1 accuracy (like the TT) may actually better take advantage of this extra accuracy with a comp before them.

this1smyne

i like the comp early before distortions, and the tuner late to buffer the signal. vol in the middle.

guitarguy9597

I like the comp early so it doesn't boost the noise of pedals that are in front of it. A little noise here and there multiplied by the comp...not a good thing.

Trending Topics