Any reason NOT to use AxeFx?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Kzin, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Kzin

Kzin Member

Its supposed to sound great, you got like any amp in a small box and you can get great tones at any volume.
    Or have I missed something?

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

3. Kzin

Kzin Member

Yeah, so are alot of amps too. Considering you get like a huge amount of amps isnt it alot of value for money?

4. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

You can't simply plug into any garden variety monitor and get great tone at loud stage volumes (but this is a drawback with most any modeler without integrated speakers or power amp).

It takes some knowledge and interest in technical aspects to get a gigging rig running smoothly, whereas with a tube amp you just plug and play.

However most drawbacks of the AxeFX I'm aware of are common to other modelers. The price is indeed something to consider, but the best of anything is usually expensive when compared to the rest.

From what I've seen and read the AxeFX is the absolute top of the heap in the modeling world (not sure how it compares with the Kemper in tone matching however). I'd sure like to have one.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Any reason NOT to use AxeFx?

Because you're using a Kemper instead. :D
    Really not sure what the point of your question is? If you are personally looking at getting an AxeFX, it might be more useful to phrase a question in terms of what you're looking to get out of it.
    -
    Austin

6. randombastage

randombastage Member

If you can't get used to the 'recorded sound' vs the 'amp in a room sound' it can be an issue. If you plug the AxeFx into a power amp and guitar cabinet that issue goes away, although you lose having thousands of modeled power amp and speaker combinations you get if you use a FRFR amplification solution.

Nothing is perfect but in the world of amp simulation the AxeFx is one of the best.

7. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

the reality is there is a learning curve, most likely you'll have to "get into" the software, tutorials, fractal forum, etc... to get what you want out of it

I think some people really dig the opportunity to experience all those other things (the tech experience and learning) and others don't want to be bothered

it's an incredible machine but with that comes the learning and experimenting to get it to do what you want

8. djd100

djd100 Member

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

My 2 cents....
    AxeFX: for the tweaker. Great-sounding amp modeling and stellar fx and routing capabilities.
    Kemper: plug-and-play. Stellar amp sounds, good fx. Nowhere near the complexity (in a good way) and sheer power of the Axe.

Full disclosure: tried the Axe VERY briefly, bought a Kemper.

To answer your question: no. Get an Axe if you want one.

10. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

If you record it's a no brainer - as I do.

Live it's potentially a little more tricky, either you play small gigs with a powered speaker or you rely upon the house PA or your own PA.

I have never played many gigs with huge PA's in all honesty so If I only played live I'd probably use my AC30 and some pedals.

I own the Axe FX 2 - it's STUNNINGLY GOOD.

11. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

I you are going to a gig in a crime-ridden place. I'll just take a low-end Zoom or something.

12. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Your wife will be royally p*ssed when she finds out how much you paid for it? :(

13. Baminated

Baminated Member

When trying to make fresh coffee???

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

No reason not to, other than preference.
    It may be awesome, it may come in your favourite colour, it may be priced just right for you but it may not sound right to you.

Maybe you like turning knobs.
    Maybe you wish it came in a 1U format.
    Maybe you rather rock a triaxis/G-Major-II instead.

Lots of reasons to use it.
    Lots of reasons not to use it.

15. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

I've used an Axe-fx since 2007. I don't have a dedicated monitor like the CLR, for example so the times I've chosen not to use it was when I was playing a venue where I didn't know what the monitor situation was. I've seen so many places drastically EQ monitor sends to control mic feedback and the guitar sound would be nothing like it should be. That or just bad monitors all together. For those cases I use a Princeton Reverb with a few pedals.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Personally I think it's pretty easy to get going. My patches are quite simple and the layout of most of my gig patches are visualized as if I had a pedal board (virtual of course) with the addition of time based FX after the amp.
    I'm confident rolling into any club that has a house PA and going direct.
    KPA is very easy too - unless you want to traverse the landscape of the gazillion profiles out there to test.
    I was able to get pretty deep into both units (some parallel FX processing, reamping, even using the II for stereo mix multiband compression and reverb on stereo mixes) and profiling real amps with the KPA without too much fuss.
    I think the "tweaker" syndrome is overblown (IMHO).

17. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Yea, depends what you are looking for... If you are recording and need all kinds of amps and FX its going to shine... If you playing a lot of small gigs, you are going to think twice about it. You would need an Axe FX, a rack case, a midi controller an exp pedal (and case for the pedals), and some kind of cab and power amp or powered speaker. Basically a $4500 -5000 investment, which seems like a bit much if you are playing small bars

18. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Because, someday: AxeFX III?

19. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

You can't handle the awesome tones... and need to spend the money on guitar lessons.

20. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I'm not an AxeFX guy (yet), but I don't see powered speakers as being better for non-PA gigs and worse for PA gigs. All of the gigs I do these days are PA gigs, and my powered speaker is indispensable for those.