Any reason to not just get a Tube Screamer?

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
As a boost into a dirty amp to tighten the bottom end and push the mids and level, is there really a need to go down an overdrive rabbit hole? This is an honest question as someone who is happy to entertain boutique options. I'm genuinely interested in reasons why you have sought out a different tool for this job.

small axe

Silver Supporting Member
I have had a lot of od perdals that are boutique and just regular production from the original klon to timmy and whatever I thought would do the job. In the end I sold them all and just went with a tubescreamer. Yet, the only thing I did to be still in the boutique range was to get an analog.man modified one. So you can call me a hypocrite but I loved the sound the analog.man chip would bring to any amp. Pedals like the timmy are really good for a clean amp and things like that. You say you are using a dirty amp. A boss or ts-9 would do the trick without getting stuck in a wild search for tone thru a pedal that may or may not actually do what you want. I am happy with what a tubescreamer does. It gets the job done and I dont have to worry about looking for something else that really isnt there.

jhuse

As a boost into a dirty amp to tighten the bottom end and push the mids and level, is there really a need to go down an overdrive rabbit hole? This is an honest question as someone who is happy to entertain boutique options. I'm genuinely interested in reasons why you have sought out a different tool for this job.

The only reason to look at something other than a Tubescreamer is to find a pedal that works "better" for you. An SD-1 is very similar, but a bit different. A Klone or Klon derivative hits the mids at a different frequency and, at least with my klone, responds quicker. But really that's it. The Tubescreamer gets the job done really, really well, but it might not be the best solution for each player. All of this said, you do not need to spend a lot of money to achieve the desired result.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I tried a bunch. Got a Behringer TO800 just to have around. Sounds good. But for everyday use I've gone with the EQD Plumes. Works for me. I've grown to love all three modes. Works well as an OD in it's own right or to boost an already dirty channel. Tightens things up a bit too. Not as much as an SD-1, but comparable to a TS I'd say. Maybe lets a LITTLE more bass through, which I actually prefer.

But yeah, I'd say everyone should have a TS of some sort around, or 2 or 3 even. Most variants are $100 or less. The Behringer is a good place to start. It definitely doesn't suck. But in short, no need to overthink it. Any TS variant should do the job.

Last edited:

Pick53766

Nope, what you are describing is a Tubescreamer job and it will be performed by any TS kind of pedal with minor variations that have more to do with your actual setup than the pedal itself.
It's kind of boring that they got it right the first try but they did.

When I do the rabbit hole thing on overdrives it is not for the TS job. I have the yellow Boss thing for that.

sounds like a tumnus delux would be a great option at $200, a commodore would be rad for a little more, and an automatone mkII would be the absolute best option at the top of the budget.

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
I find that stock tube screamers may not always have enough volume on tap.
I'm not entirely sure if this will apply to my situation, but this is the kind of answer I was looking for. This seems to be a legitimate concern.

My original thought was to just get a Maxon OD808 and be done. My TGP-groomed brain forced me to hesitate and ask the OP question.

Steve Y.

Supporting Member
I'm currently using a Boss SD-1 for this purpose, swapping duty between boosting a Mesa Mark IV and a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini. IMO, the SD-1 sounds like hot dog crap when used by itself into a clean amp, but using it to boost an already dirty amp is a thing of beauty.

Fireball XL5

Gold Supporting Member

I use Tubescreamer style pedals the same as you're describing, and I find it's all about the pedals specific midrange color.

I love my AM modded Tubescreamers used as a boost into a dirty amp, but prefer my 2002 Yellow Fulldrive 2 set in the FM mode a bit more. Both boost mids, round highs, and cut some of the bass, but the Fulldrive in the FM mode sounds a bit more open - which I prefer - and I find the dirt to be more usable on the FD2 if and when I do decide to turn the Gain control up.

That said, my Tubescreamers sound great too, and are right there. Used my AM Silver/808 modded OD9 into my '73 Marshall the other day and it sounded killer.

Last edited:

Strat58

Hey thats great I also have a yellow Fulldrive 2 you don't see them around that much, it was also made by the Custom shop of Fulltone ?
Peace Strat58

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
Tubescreamers are nice in the way a Fender Precision, Neve mixing desk or a Ludwig Black Beauty snare are nice.

They have been used for decades by musicians in almost every genre of recorded Western music there is. As a result there is a large pool of originals and new mod designs available as well as no shortage of methods for their use.

Of course the devil's advocate perspective of this idea will tell you that like the other stuff mentioned above, they are pedestrian tools of the proletariat.

But yes, they are a great one-stop solution for throwing some symmetrically clipped distortion into your already asymmetrically clipped distorted amp and cutting some lows and highs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom