Any reason why I shouldn't get an EVH 5150 III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Acid Test, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

I am in the market for a high-gain, multi-channel 100 watt head. Any reason I should avoid the 5150 III?

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Very solid amps, as long as you like the tones I don't know why you wouldn't.

3. Damian The Man

Damian The Man Member

My #1 option along with the original PV 5150. An amp for life!

4. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

the amp is amazing, i have one along with a 6505+, Id go for it

5. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Well, it is certainly a "high gain, multi channel 100 watt head". I would even say it is ultra-high gain. I hardly set the gain above 3-4, ever. I have a few of these types of heads (XTC 20th, PT100, PWE EH3) and the 5150III is certainly the highest gain of them all.

6. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

Looks like the 5150 will have to be my next amp. I picked up an Egnater Armageddon for $775 shipped - excellent condition.

Hope I don't regret it. (BTW, I have the Vengeance)

7. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I don't have a 5150lll, but I do have a Armageddon 4x12 and have to say it's a awesome cab! The speaker sim is a great feature that works way better than I expected. Enjoy!

8. johnpace2

johnpace2 Supporting Member

The 5150 III is awesome, go for it!

9. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

It's a no brainer as long as you dig Marshall/Soldano high gain tones.

10. EastCoastRocker

EastCoastRocker Supporting Member

My son is in the market for one of these, so like the OP I would love more info on these.
    I hope that the OP doesn't mind me asking a few questions that May serve us both well :)

IIRC the 5150 was a one channel, the II a 2channel, and the III has an extra gain stage/third channel and maybe better cleans (?) and is available as a fifty watt. I've read that the original one channel with the lo gain 2nd input is the best sounding of all models.

Which version do you guys recommend, and do any of you like the 50 watt version?
    Details please!

Update- the Mother of all 5150 III Threads... just found this, OP may be interested. I'm about to read it. It has aa few parts
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=835662

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  11. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I love my 50w. I say go for it!

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

the world is coming to an end?
    shamu might track u down?

??????

13. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

50 watt is the best amp for the money. And the best amp I've owned. If you have 2 grand to burn, go for the 100 watt.

14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

15. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

I purchased one of the stealth special editions and returned it. On day 2 it developed a popping sound with each channel switch regardless of using the footswitch or buttons

16. hotmod

hotmod Member

Only reason would be to already own one.:crazy

17. drod1985

drod1985 Member

5150iii 100w has been my main amp for years. All 3 channels are killer. The clean channel takes pedals well, so any tone not in the amp is easy to approximate via pedals. You can't go wrong.

I threw a 12AT7 in V4 (I think) to lower channel 3's gain a bit. Helped.

18. BetterDaze

BetterDaze Member

Just had my first weekend with mine....Played live, never even had a chance to play with it at a practice or home....Super easy to dial in....had a great bottom end, just sounded really HUGE.....A few things that need tweaking - getting the mids where I love them (it was good enough) but I did have an issue where it wanted to take off into feedback quicker than I would like....that would have been my only complaint and it easily fixable with time....

Really was pleased how well it worked my pedals - far superior to recent amps I have played - Blackstar HT40 & Orange OR15....Very much like the DSL100 I have used in the past in that regard....I am an amp junkie too - I change them like I change clothes - so there isnt any reason for me to justify a choice - since I am almost always amp shopping...

Anyways, from my limited experience - I see NO reason not to get one....its a killer amp for the price point....

19. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

i was actually curious about this - so, the 5150 would fully cover evh soldano era tones

20. Kingpin69

Kingpin69 Member

5150 III red channel yes. Peavey 5150 lead channel may be even closer to Soldano. But VH 90's to now is a 5150. My PV 5150 nails F.U.C.K. Tones. Red channel is similar. A little less fizzy. Not much though. As stated on this site many times. The Blues channel on the 5150 III alone is worth the price at admission. It rocks!

To answer a question. The original Peavey 5150 is a two channel amp. Rhythym and lead. There is no clean channel. With a Strat and some coaxing I got cleanish tones. But don't expect to get cleans from the first two 5150 versions. The 5150 II is slightly different. Though very similar. "Cleans" are a little better. Seperate EQ controls for the two channels. Both these amps secret weapon is cranking the rhythym channel. Great rock tones in there! In fact do not judge any of the three 5150 amps until playing them very loud. That's how they were designed. To be played loud. And they get better sounding when you open them up. 6505 series are exactly the same amps. 6505+ is the 5150 II.

5150 III has a great clean channel. So if cleans are needed this is the best bet. Also each version gets better than the last. I have two Peavey 5150 heads and matching 4x12 cabs and will never part with them. Kick ass amps! I do like my 5150 III 2x12 combo better. But go back and forth constantly! I'm a 5150 guy and that's all there is to it. :aok