1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Any recomendations for acoustic guitar processors?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lannyhall, Sep 30, 2006.

1. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I don't do effects with my acoustic guitar, but a friend asked what processor they should get for their acoustic guitar. They play folksy style music with a $400 guitar through a PA. They want something in the $100 to $250 range.

I would guess the Yamaha Magicstomp or the Korg PX4a Pandora would be considerations. What would you recommend?

2. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

3. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I use a Boss AD-5. It has Reverb and Chorus which I don't use too much but it has a 4 band EQ and Body shaper controls that can be very useful in getting the tone your after plus it has stereo lo z outputs & anti feedback controls. Musicians Friend sells it for $239.00 but I purchased mine off of ebay.

4. Norse

Norse Member

Korg G2! Simple to operate, and gets very clean, lush sounds right out of the box. You can find 'em on ebay on occasion for 150.00 or so. (the G3 is a rock pedal so careful not to confuse them).

I've also been able to squeeze some nice sounds out of the Digitech stomp boxes (with treddle)... RP80, RP300, etc., but you need to know a bit more about EQ & such for this one. This one's at 62.00 right now with a couple of hours to go.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitech-RP300-Guitar-Multi-effects-processor_W0QQitemZ140034434953QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41419QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140034434953

Best of luck on your search!
    Greg

5. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

The Yamaha AG Stomp is also pretty cool if you can find one cheap. It has body shaping and mic modeling that makes a piezo axe come alive & also has a function that can make a steel string sound similar to a classical. Nice effects & utility.

6. marklyn

marklyn Member

For just accoustic guitar tone shaping into the PA, it's hard to beat the LR Baggs PADI (Para Acoustic DI). http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/baggs_padi.shtml
    If your friend is wanting effects, I can't be much help there other than to suggest something like a used Lexicon reverb LXP-1 or similar. This will generally be a higher quality effects than in pedal form.

7. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

Guys, thanks for the info you have passed so far. Marklyn, I used the LR Baggs PADI myself and was satisfied. I think this lady wants effects.

I realize that these cheaper processors are not in the same league with really good outboard gear, but that wont bother my friend.

A few years ago I tried to replace the pedals I use with my electric guitars with the Lexicon MPX G2 and MPX R1. I also recently tried the POD-XT Live. I found that neither was an acceptable substitute for my real pedal board. So I went back to my individual pedals. However, this lady is not interested in investing $2K+ in her effects set up.

I would imagine that most of the processors out there would more than satisfy her needs, but I thought I would ask for recommendations from those of you that have first-hand experience with these processors. She needs portability, convenience, decent sound and low price ($100-$250). I expect that there are a few products that would fit the bill.

Does anyone have other comments or suggestions?

8. marklyn

marklyn Member

I mentioned the LXP-1 because at half-rack size it's fairly portable and they go for $80-$125 on the bay and they sound great.

9. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I think she wants simultaneous EQ, reverb, occasional delay, and chorus. Is there something that does that well enough for the specified budget?

10. OOG

OOG Member

this combination would be very hard to beat for sound quality and flexability in your price range
    marklyn has given you a very good solution
    i don't use the Baggs unit, but a lot of people like it
    my choice for a live pre is Raven PMB1
    i have owned an LXP-1 for many years and still really like it
    beautiful reverbs and delays

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member