Any Recommendation For A "Pocket" Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmy25, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

Any recommendation for a "pocket" amp?

Requirement: Easy to carry around, playable with headphones on, sounds good.
    For: Practice only in school dorm / at home.
    Guitar: Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993.
    Style: Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock.
    Price: No worries, just tell me the amp name and price. I'll do the math.
    Some pocket amps I'm looking at: Line 6 Pocket Pod / Palmer Pocket Amp.

Originally I was planning on giving iRig on my Ipod touch a try, but I heard iRig isn't very reliable and doesn't sound good, also I did consider buying small size cube amp like Roland Micro-Cube, but I never knew there's something like a pocket amp which suits my needs much more better. so I'm going for a pocket amp. cheers : )

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank You!

2. brian.robert

brian.robert Supporting Member

That Orange Micro Terror looks pretty cool. It's slated to retail for $150, but I'm not sure what the release date is. Otherwise, I use my apogee jam after my wife goes to sleep. Not the same as an amp, but it sounds pretty good for what it is, and I'm completely happy with it.

3. Rkin1

Rkin1 Supporting Member

Pocket Pod is good choice for this type of scenario, IMO.

4. MCK

MCK Member

Zoom G3. Not really an amp per se but has many squeezed into it... Works wonders with headphones or feeding into an amp / PA etc.

5. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

Well i have an irig with amplitude and i like it alot for practice

6. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

I just read through most of the reviews on Line 6 Pocket POD from Amazon.com, and seems like everyone is complaining about how fast the batteries gets eaten so quickly. However, I think this won't be a problem for me, because most of the time I'll be playing in dorm or at home where there's socket for adapter (btw. adapter doesn't come with the pack? do I have to get it separately?) so I could do endless playing with no batteries, but hopefully it won't get overheated easily? lol. Another common complain I see is Line 6 Pocket POD is built badly, it's so weak that one drop to the floor it will be cracked. Even if I were to be extremely careful, I still see people saying not after a very long time, jack gets loose / doesn't work with battery anymore, etc. I don't know what to say about that... Most importantly, the sound, people also mentioned it's not great quality, but I won't worry too much about that, with sound I'm not expecting much from a pocket amp. Besides, it's for practice only and it's cool that it's got so many different tones. At the moment, I'm also taking Palmer pocket amp and Vox AC30 amPlug in consideration. Any other suggestions? I'm hesitating... I can't decide which one to get : (

7. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

I tell you if you have an ipod or iphone try the irig its goung to cost less than a pocket pod its a lot easier to tweak than the pocket pod. I sold mine when i got the irig. My two cents

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    What mitchanator said if you have an iPhone - or check out a Korg Pandora - size of a deck of cards, several amp models to choose from - stackable effects, you can plug in an mp3 player to it and play along, you can run it out to a pair of powered travel speakers or use headphones - @ a hundred bucks or a little less depending on whether or not you have coupon codes... a nice little portable practice unit that sounds very good.

9. boost

boost Member

Korg Pandora. Drums and bass lines included. Great little practice tool.

10. bemeyer

bemeyer Member

Or even smaller than the Pandora with the Pandora Mini. I got mine for $89 new. Bout the size of a cell phone.