Any remedy for the nasty yellow inlays on a LPC?

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone attempted to try to remove with any luck the nasty greenish/yellowish tint Gibson uses on their inlays for the Les Paul classics? If so can you recommend what was used.

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone attempted to try to remove with any luck the nasty greenish/yellowish tint Gibson uses on their inlays for the Les Paul classics? If so can you recommend what was used.
I've heard of people leaving their Classics out in direct sunlight for several hours. Personally, and as a Classic owner, I wouldn't recommend this. I did run across a site that will change them out for a few hundred dollars. I can't remember their name but I'll bump this thread and come back to you.

You wanna know the truth? I never even noticed that the inlays on my beloved 2000 Classic were yellow until I started reading about people bitching about them on guitar forums! After which, I looked at my fretboard and went, "Hmmm... They are a bit yellow, aren't they?" When I bought my Classic, I chose it because it was the best playing Les Paul in the bunch of a dozen or so I had to choose from. I didn't even plug it in. I'm guessing that Gibson continues to use the almost universally despised yellow inlay for what I believe is a marketing ploy to try and push people upwards to purchase a Standard. They probably figure that if you have $2000+ to spend on a Classic, then you can probably scrounge 200 or 300 more for a Standard. Me? I prefer plain tops.

I've looked at some vintage guitars and noticed that a few of them have yellowed over time.

If you'd like my $0.02 free of charge, I'd say just live with them. If yellowed inlays are good enough for Madonna, they're good enough for me! LOL!

Yes, that's a Classic! She's playing "Ray of Light."

PFCG

cant you tap a small hole in the middle then take it out with a small scroll or pick of some sort. you could also use a hot knife to loosen up the glue holding them in.

I think they're in bad taste, too, but I just live with mine. I might try a little peroxide on one of mine one of these days...

DGDGBD

I've heard of people leaving their Classics out in direct sunlight for several hours. Personally, and as a Classic owner, I wouldn't recommend this.
Just wondering why you don't recommend this ... because it doesn't work? I have a classic goldtop and I think its a great guitar. I don't really like the green inlays, but I don't lose sleep over it. That said, if there was easy and inexpensive way to remove the tint, I would probably try it.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Any UV light would probably work. Just cover up the rest of the guitar while it is baking...

kurtsstuff

Leaving in the sun is a real bad idea...depending on finish (fade) wax potting in pickups will be a big glob off goo etc...etc....

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member

Yes, that's a Classic! She's playing "Ray of Light."
That doesn't really look like a classic to me... chrome tuners and pickup covers? Sure, they could have been replaced, but the inlays don't even really look green.

dosmun

This may sound a little crazy but I've heard if you "play" the guitar you don't notice small things like that.:RoCkIn

Trending Topics