Any reviews of the Scumback Scumnico?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Feb 13, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I am reaaly not familiar with the Scumback line but I just saw where they are making an Alnico model called the Scumnico.

. How generally are Scumback speakers regarded in the guitar world for tone, value, etc?
    . Any reviews of the Scumnico? How does it compare tonally to the Celestion Blue?

2. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

I would be interested in any info, too. I've been looking for something between a Blue or Gold in terms of wattage--30 watts, ideally. On paper their specs are impressive. Maybe you should shoot them an email?

3. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I have been piping up in other threads about the Scumnico and I am sure Jim will jump on the pile during this tread.

I have the Scumnico 12A65-8 in a TR cloned 1x12 cab. It is my fav speaker and I have been through nearly all in my speaker quest (countless Emi's, EVM 12L,Two Rock, Fane Alnico,Tone Tubby,Celestion, etc...). I have settled into three speakers - Scumback H75, Scumnico & Celestion 12-65 - for my applications.

I wasn't a big fan of Alnico's prior to the Scumnico. To me they would sound compressed, sometimes dark, once in awhile stiff (Fane) and I never cared for there break up or when they are pushed hard and some like to cone cry. This was with my TR CRS amp.

I feel in love with the Scumback H75 and subsequently found the Celestion 12-65 which I admire as well. Then came the Scumnico, which is probably the most musical speaker I have found to date. If you are familiar with the H75, the Scumnico shares the same cone. It has a Alnico magnet and a neodymium tip. It sounds like the H75 but better. Its compression seems to be less than other Alnico's, a strong bass response, pronounced mids and a very detailed/pleasant to the ear high end. It holds together when pushed hard, not harsh when breaking up and does not cone cry. To me it seems to be the best of everything a Alnico has to offer and none of the nuisance.

Is it the best thing since canned beer? For me yes. It even sounds good with my high gain Marshall 2553 and Alnico's are typically bad in this setting. To each his own. However I would not overlook this speaker when going for the Gold (if you know what I mean). The Scumnico wins hands down for the overall best sounding speaker in my rig. Again I like the ceramic quality of the H75 speaker and the 12-65 is wonderful - it is more focused and adds that "Celestion" quality to your tone.

If you got the coin and you want to help Jim (Mr Scumbag himself) realize his retirement dreams, get the Scumnico and take it for a test drive. It sounds great out of the box, but really shines once it is broken in. It delivers the goods and I have not found any bads.

As with all of my post - this is just my $.02 or opinions are like @$$holes everyone has one and most stink!
    :eek:

4. brads

brads Supporting Member

Fully agree with the above poster about the Scumnico.

It seems to have even more of that fabled midrange detail of the M magnet series speakers, along with the beautiful give and take of Alnico.

My favorite speaker I've yet encountered.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Why would any of us want to help Jim retire -who will supply us with the best possible speakers then?! ;)

6. toneman335

toneman335 Member

What would you suggest in a 2x12 open back cab used for blusey OD and clean tones? Two Scumnicos or a Scumnico and a H75 for example?
    Also, I see there are two variations of the H75. Which would work best in this application?

7. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

WHat amps are you guys using these in and for what tyoe of tones?

I have always been a V30 guy. Right now I am using a Hellatone 60 in a Budda 1x12 combo. I use that speaker both for the Budda Superdrive 18 it is in and my new Bad Cat Lil'15.

I'm starting to wonder what an Alnico speaker would sound like with these amps. It would have to be either the Gold or the 30 watt Scumnico.

what do you guys think?

8. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

9. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Just to qualify my previous post. My speaker quest has been focused solely on my Two Rock CRS v1 amp. The three speakers that I have landed on are what I have found to be the best. This is not to say that the other speakers are bad or suck (Emi's, TR1265, EVM12L, Tone Tubby, etc). That is not the case at all. In fact most sound very good, but were lacking something compared to my three picks.

The H75 sounds excellent with about every amp I have tried with it. The Celestion 12-65 is right up there as well. The Scumnico is most excellent with the TR/Dumble thing and very good even with my Marshall 2553. Believe it or not I didn't care for the Scumnico with my RTE 18 watt clone 1x12. This amp sounds the best with a Celestion Heritage G12M (green back). The 18 watter naturally compresses with the tube rec and the El84s. Add a alnico in the mix and to me there is to much compression.

I do have a Marshall 2061cx cab (2x12) with a mix of a 12-65 and H75. It works well with all amps. I would say that you would want to run the Scumnico in a open/oval back cab - 1x12 or 2x12. I have not taken the time to put the Scumnico in the mix for the 2x12. I would venture to say that Scumnico would be a overdose of low end in a closed cab and would take away some of the sweet quality that comes out the rear of speaker.

I had a TR 2x12 for awhile and it would be excellent cab for these speakers. It was just too much volume for me. TR 1x12 sounded very close to the 2x12 and has a nice punch. I went with the 2061cx for my 2553, along with the speaker combination. However, the CRS just smokes through the 2061cx as well with more aggressive qualities.

If you are anal about tone and speakers, you may need to do what I did. Buy a lot of new & used speakers and try them out with your amp(s). You can always buy & sell them here on TGP with ease.

I can honestly say the following two points:
    1-That my three speaker choices are the bomb with Two Rock - none better.
    2 -The Scumnico is the most musical and best sounding Alnico I have heard.

After that you are on your own to decide what is right. Not all amps are created equal and everyone has their own idea of good tone. So get out there and spend some money and time!

P.S. I was referring about Jim's retirement from his real job. We have him by the short and curly's for life on the speakers!
    :p

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey KOG, can you make a simple clip or two using the Scumico? I'd like to hear some of the characteristics since I'm looking for a wicked 12" speaker for my musicmaster bass amp. This thing sounds perfect, but would love to hear some recordings to get a real feel for the texture.

(BTW, I was born in middletown OH and grew up mostly in Dayton and Cincinnati before moving to the freezing north)

11. hamfist

hamfist Member

KOG, Did you by any chance try out the M75 at all in your experimentations.
    I am particularly interested as I currently have G12-65's in my 2x12, but have an H75 and an M75 in the mail from Jim.
    I know I will then be truly blessed with 4 outstanding speakers. But, I am wondering how similar the M75 is to a Cele G12-65 ?

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Did anyone ever comment on the comparison between the Scumnico and a Celestion Blue? I would be replacing a blue out of my 5e3, mostly just to get the extra power handling for peace of mind. I think the Blue sounds great in that amp. If the Scumnico is very different, it won't work for me too well, unless it actually sounds better some how. At 30 watts it is probably not as punchy as the Blue?? Anyone compare the blue and teh scumnico directly? Anyone put a scumnico in a 5e3?

13. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

i'm interested in this too!

14. scott1568

scott1568 Member

We're all thinking the same thing today. I e-mailed Jim this morning. Here it is:

Hi,
    I am looking for a speaker that is close as possible to the Celestion Blue. My amp is a 30 watt 1 x 12 which is too much for a Blue and probably to light on wattage to get the best out of the Gold. I saw your post on the Gear Page about your new alnico "Scumnico. Is this speaker more like the Blue, the Greenback, or something else? Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott,
    The Scumnico is actually like the Vox Silver Alnico (also a Celestion design) from the 60’s. The difference is that there’s not as much high treble, and there’s more bass response. Think of a Blue with a tiny bit less treble, but with about 25% more bass and low mids, resulting in a speaker with low end that’s not boomy but doesn’t fall apart under higher volume, low mids that are tighter and more defined, with the same swirly midrange as a Blue, but with a clear treble response that doesn’t get too shrill or harsh.

That’s pretty much the results I got from the Scumnico using the H75 cone and the neodymium magnet tip on top of the standard 40 oz Alnico magnet.

So, in short, NOTHING is going to be just like a Blue due to it’s 1777 cone, and 15 watt voice coil. I’m not even sure what I think is really, really close, to be honest with you. I just wanted the obvious upgrade to the Blue, and that’s what I’ve come up with the Scumnico.

Not sure if this helps, but good luck!

Thanks!

Jim Seavall
    Scumback Speakers
    28364 So. Western Ave. Unit 340
    Rancho Palos Verdes, Ca. 90275

15. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

In my initial Scumnico announcement I made last September there were many more comments from the first round of buyers, however there was some type of server glitch and that thread disappeared and couldn't be found.

While this isn't all of the reviews of the Scumnicos I've received, these are the only ones I saved where I could find them quickly, and post them here. Some of the people who emailed me these reviews might respond in this thread.

Scumnico comments:

Jim,
    I haven't seen anyone weigh in on their new Scumnicos, so I thought to drop you a line about mine.

It became my new favorite speaker right out of the box. It sounds broken in already.

What I hear (in addition to that sweet alnico compression) is lots of those M series (or greenback) detailed mids that work so well with guitar.

It's like taking the best part of the greenback sound, then ramping that up, and adding the alnico stuff to the mix. Really wonderful!!

Thanks, Jim, I knew I could count on you to get the best Alnico sound to me.

Brad

Jim,
    The SW Ohio Tone posse got together today and deemed the Scumnico a worthy addition to the roster of products you offer. Ken Greco, Tom Lees and myself played a bunch of guitars and amps through the Scumnico and a re-coned 60's Vox Silverdog. The Scumnico was the hands down winner. It was louder, had more of a upper mid bite (that was pleasing) and did not fart out. The Vox Silverdog on the otherhand was a tad sweeter sounding but it didn't hold up as well as the Scumnico at high volume. The Vox SD didn't completely fart out but it was certainly looser than your speaker.

The above being said, expect an order from Ken and Tom shortly. I think you've enslaved them yet again - lol.

Raniel

Jim,
    I have been playing my Deluxe some more and wow. The Scumnico transformed a sweet machine that makes a 60's BF Fender famous. This has nailed what I have been looking to get out of this amp.

Will you be making any 10s along this line?

-Bill

16. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

No I have not tried the M75, I only have experience with the H75 and H55.

I wish I could but I have no real means of making a recording worth hearing.

As usual Jim puts it best in regards to the Blue. I had some limited time with a Gold and to me the Scumnico sounded better. The Gold was on the verge of cone cry, something the Scumnico doesn't do.

You are a sick man! I am as far north than I care to be and I plan on going south if it is only a few feet/miles at a time. You will need to send me a PM with the gory details of your departure from this area (smart move).
    :D

17. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Just received my first Scumnico last week . This speaker is way different to an Alnico Blue or Gold. For my taste it sounds way better, especially than the Gold. The low end is tighter and the treble response sounds, while still "bell like" like the Celestion Alnicos, a bit more robust. Interesting concept to add a neodymium magnet to the Alnico.The most interesting difference is in the midrange from low to high. It sounds very "vintage" robust midrangy with way tighter low end and clearer but smother high end. Great for recording. It is like running a Celestion Blue paired with a well broken-in G12H. The absolute best 12" guitar speaker I heard so far and the speaker is not even broken in yet. Just ordered a second one.
    Rene Burkard

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

This is all very intresting.

I have a 65 Amps London combo that I've been sort of struggling with.

I love the early break-up the under the fingers feel and the rich juicy harmonics but it lacks a little bottom-end punch compared to what I get from my AC30 and at times it feels like it lacks a little "control" in the speaker department.

The current speaker compliment is G12H30/Alnico Blue. I have a 55hz Scumback which I've been recommended to try as a replacement for the G12H30 to extend and tighten the low-end but I'm also wondering if I might like the Scumnico as an upgrade to the Blue to maintain the alnico character while giving that bit more control.

Don't suppose anyone's tried one in a London? Actually while we're at it has anyone tried Scumnicos in a 90's AC30TB reissue?

19. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have been wondering has anyone tried the Alnico version is a deluxe reverb circuit? Also would you need the 30 or 65 watt version. For that matter, has anyone tried any other scumbacks in a deluxe reverb?

20. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I had the 55Hz with a Blue with my London head and it was the best combination I tried. I now use the same cab with a Supreme 16 (AC15) but I'm wondering whether a single Scumnico would sound as good?