Any roadking love? at this price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saxophonist56, Oct 10, 2005.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

1350 plus tax for a newish roadking.(avec warranty).....should i jump or should i pass. (not selling it i'm thinking of buying it) seemed as if the R0 lp worked best.

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Price wise it sounds like a hell of a deal, I've been tosing around the idea of one of these bad boys for months now... I'd love to just have ONE do it all amp, and for features, the Road King seems to out-do all the boutique AND mass-manufacturers. Now if I could just try one to hear the tone...

-TJK

P.S Didn't you just get a Makoplex... you dog you;)

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

if you're gonna get a mesa, get a tremoverb. best mesa IMHO.

4. saxophonist56

yes i did....

does that lovolt 55 sound as good in person as it does in the
    steelbender video clips?

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Even better... and thats with my sloppy ass playing... amazing crunch and growl out of that amp, best blues, rock and hard rock tones a fella could ask for, it sounds so good playing any type of psychedelia, almost transports me back in time. And for once, I really know what people mean by an amp that takes pedals well, the Germino and fuzz pedals are meant to go together, it sounds so organic and natural, its like turning up an invisble gain knob on the amp.

Just put a Groove Tubes 5AR4 rectifier in it, that was just supposed to hold me over till some NOS arrived, but I found I liked the Groove Tubes so much, I'm keeping it in, tighter, bigger low end and more definition.

Best amp I've ever owned for the tones I'm going for, the cleans are the best MARSHALL style cleans I've played, but for the jazz, finger picking and beautiful arrpeggio stuff I definately want another amp (hoping a Juke 1210 and a Meteor II for mad stereo love).

-TJK

6. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

For that cash, and assuming you like the RK, get on it!

7. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I just have a friendly couple of questions to a post like this.

First, why would you tell him to do that? The T-verb and Road King are two COMPLETELY different amps, it's not as if the T-verb is a 'better version' of the RK. What if he wants 3-4 channels, footswitchable boosts, and to be able to use EL-34's and 6L6's in the same amp without changing tubes, can the Tremoverb do that? The Road King can.

Sorry to jump all over you, I see a lot of posts with people suggesting ideas that don't really answer the question of the original poster, I think sometimes we forget the difference between:

A. What a member is really asking for.
    B. What our own personal favorite is.

Once again, this is not all about you, sorry if I'm being harsh.

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i understand what your saying, but i think the general opinions on mesa's is that the tremoverb is kind of the jewel of the family. questions have been asked plenty of times on mesa's and the answer seems to be pretty consistent. and like i said ... IMHO. just an opinion. we're all entitled to it.

9. saxophonist56

that was you? i don't think the RK is really for me...to many other handmades that seem to romp on it for pure tone. i'm not into petrucci that much at least on his latest offering....

10. devbro

devbro Member

I had a RK and I really liked it. It was pretty heavy to lug around especially in a case but it's a very versatile amp. I liked the "Brit" mode the most (it actually used EL34's). I've heard about reliability issues but never had a bit of problem with it. Oddly, I loved the Brit mode so much, it inspired me to buy an EL34 Shiva.

I'd snap it up at that price. If you don't want it, let me know;)

11. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Gotcha. Keep rockin! :dude

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That was me that what? did the clips? NOOOO... just, the amp has an even better tone than any recording I've heard, even when I'M THE PERSON playing the amp, haha.

And I feel the saem way as you, about single channel amps, and handwired stuff... but if you spend time with any Mesa, there are some very killer and specific tones to be found, and from what people tell me the Road King is DEFINATELY no exception, lots of people just say people give up before they try enough settings. Gotta have at least one do it all amp... at least I think so.

-TJK