any Roland SRV330 experts ? need help !

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ProfRhino, May 6, 2016.

1. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

hi good folks, hoping for a miracle :
    I have two of those beauties, 1.06 and a 1.03.

Lately the 1.03 is giving me trouble.
    - After switching on, it takes around 15 mins until the display starts working and it produces sound (which appears to be fine then).
    - instead of the algo names it shows weird abbreviations looking like FX block listings
    - compared to the 1.06 it shows around 3 times as many parameters in edit mode (for the same factory presets), all the usual ones are there, plus a boatload of "expert parameters", looks like values for individual ER taps and stuff ...

what I've tried so far :
    - several full resets
    - the self test sequence from the service manual, as far as it works standalone, battery is ok, display, buttons and encoder too
    - sonically presets appear to be identical between both units
    - calling Roland was not helpful at all

my Qs :
    - can somebody explain these phenomena ?
    My tech is a tube guy, he's reluctant to touch the SRV without a clear idea of what to check ...
    - for the boot problem at least I suspect a power supply issue, been there before with other 19" gear, bad solder joint, burnt resistor - he could easily fix that kind of issue, although certainly not the digital boards
    - is there a way of firmware upgrade to 1.06 or newer, via MIDI perhaps ?
    - is there a way of resetting that weird "expert whatever mode" back to sanity ?
    - if all else fails, would it be worth trying to transplant the eprom to a working SDE330 :idea to convert it into an SRV ? The 2nd reverb would serve me better than the delay atm.
    Both units seem to be identical otherwise.

thanks for any information, I know my chances are slim,
    Rhino

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

ProfRhino likes this.
  3. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

K, you're a genius ! :bow
    that clears up the puzzling part - I really did search, and this isn't even mentioned in the service manual ...
    printed to pdf immediately !

re startup, fortunately it gave up the ghost completely last week, only the backlight works.
    that improves my chance of talking my tech into looking at it - he hates troubleshooting intermittent problems.
    not complaining - he works miracles on my tubeamps, fair enough, more fun than digital gear and switching PSUs.
    Still hope it's a PSU issue, have seen similar crap on Lexicons with the 1st gen PSU.

many many thanks,
    Rhino

4. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

The SRV2000 reverb had a couple secret modes like this too. It had FT Level (further level) which had extra parameters and also a button combination on startup that would turn it into an SDE2000 delay.

I had heard rumours about the same mode in the 330 series but never tried it (I've got an SRV2000, SRV330 and R880, so I've got classic Roland verb covered).

Your SRV330 may well be a power supply issue...assuming the backlight supply is separate (and in that era they probably would be...for the electroluminescent panel).

Good luck

K

ProfRhino likes this.