Any Ross Distortion clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by samhambone, Feb 14, 2008.

1. samhambone

samhambone Member

I really dig my late '70s Ross Distortion (with the Malaysian 4558 chip) because it sounds like a cross between a Distortion + and a Tube Screamer. I want bypass, a boss style power adaptor and an LED but don't want to mod the vintage pedal. Are there any Ross clones out there?

2. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Any old boutique screamer would do the trick. Cusack, Landy, BYOC, Keeley.. the list goes on.

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Member

Except for the fact that the Ross Distortion isn't close to a TS. Have you played a Ross Dist?

4. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

No I havent played one

At quick glance at a scheme a couple months back, I remembered 4558 slamming a pair of 1n34a's.

http://gillcar.tripod.com/Files/Rosshem.jpg

There's the scheme for an easy build. I dont think theres a clone that states its a clone..

5. Slideman

Slideman Member

6. samhambone

samhambone Member

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

i really love my ross distortion (tan) - grossly underrated pedal imo - love to put mine through my old Vibrosonic Reverb (1975) - basically a Twin with 15 inch speaker - i love mine so much i hope to buy a second tan ROSS - and have someone true-bypass it and maybe add an LED - it's a big enclosure so should be easy - these Ross units are dirt cheap on ebay still.