Any Shoegaze Fans?

seward

Agreed, when this album came out I didn’t stop listening to it for nearly a year (and still spin it periodically)

I can't believe that this release doesn't get more attention. It's not just great music, easily as good as anything else that they've released; it's also much more of an emotional update, from familiar voices and people who have grown and changed. Some other comebacks from some of my favorite bands seem sort of frozen or stuck in a certain period, not just of music, but of selfhood in general. These people seem to have gone through things, hinted at in earlier works, but more fully reflected upon here. I really like that. But I'm also a lyrics nerd.

seward

I dont get the genre- isnt it just 'alternative' ?
I think that if you listen to enough of the tracks posted on this thread, you'll find that certain adjectives are particularly appropriate: dreamy, spacy, hazy, melancholy...also, delay, distortion, modulation. While a lot of bands incorporate elements of that, these folks live there.

jawajt

I can't believe that this release doesn't get more attention. It's not just great music, easily as good as anything else that they've released; it's also much more of an emotional update, from familiar voices and people who have grown and changed. Some other comebacks from some of my favorite bands seem sort of frozen or stuck in a certain period, not just of music, but of selfhood in general. These people seem to have gone through things, hinted at in earlier works, but more fully reflected upon here. I really like that. But I'm also a lyrics nerd.
Totally agree with this. This album had the potential to be a real letdown, but it came out amazing. I saw them twice, touring for this record, and they sounded fantastic. Apparently, they’re in the studio now, working on a new album. Can’t wait.

jawajt

This is another band that definitely had some shoegaze influences. They weren’t around long, but I listen to their EP constantly. They were called Mellonova.

Thedude99

There's actually a cover of one of those songs by the band Flying Saucer Attack that could be thought of as the shoegaze version.

Flying Saucer Attack was basically one or two people with a 4-track. Were they shoegaze? The argument could be made.

They were lumped in with the 90’s space rock scene - not considered shoegaze at the time. There were some great bands out of Bristol around then. FSA, 3rd Eye Foundation, Movietone (which was Rachael from FSA I think). I don’t find much of that stuff has stood the test of time though.