1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Silverface Twin Reverb clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimmyPage, Feb 16, 2009.

1. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

At two of the clubs I play, and also at the studio that I usually practice in, there are three old silverface Twin reverbs.. I have to say - these amps sound perfect. Whenever I gig at those places I usually end up leaving my amps in the car and using the Twin Reverbs instead.

Now my issue.. the RI just.. doesn't sound right to me, it's missing something that they have, could be that the circuitry isn't like the original, or that it's modelled after a blackface (what is the approximate tonal difference anyway?)

So where can I find a proper, 'right' sounding clone of this amp? I can't find anything that sounds quite like them, nor have I found any relatively local sellers on the internet.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Why bother with a clone? SF's are plentiful and still in the realm of $ where they'd likely be cheaper than clone.

3. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

I've tried looking around for them, like I said - I can't find anything local unfortunately.

4. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

I agree twins are fairly common. (finding one with JBLs not so much!). If you want boutique the Bruno Cowtipper 90 is a twin clone.

5. bynt

bynt Member

Here here. I would suggest posting a "Wanted to Buy" here on TGP. I'd bet money you'll pick one up. I had a 71 Non Master Volume that was my main amp for years. I still love it and know the guy I sold it to and will probably end up with it again someday.

Anyway, the point is that for some reason, that seems to be the most "undesireable" Fender amp (heavy, don't break up) but they're about the best deal out there for clean headroom (if you don't mind lifting a Volkswagon evertime you gig!!!-that's why I sold mine). I couldn't give mine away hardly. I think I ended up selling it for 750.00. Of course this was a couple of years ago but they're still pretty cheap.

I would suggest trying to find one here. I bet you'll get one. Great amps. I loved mine and it had the Utah speaker. Still sounded mighty fine though.

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

the RI are a BF RI not the SF. everyone is right they are very common and on CL all the time. also look out for a SF pro rverb from the late 70's 70watt smaller twin tone

7. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

8. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

That is not late '60s, but it is early '70s