• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any Sleater-Kinney fans?

2HBStrat

They were on Letterman last night. I really enjoyed them.....are they a four piece band now? Seemed like there was a girl in the back holding a guitar but playing maracas or something?

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
how come no oregon show?
I only have really listened to "call the doctor"
fa-freekin-nominal record

I'd never heard of them until I read an interview in Rolling Stone with Carrie Brownstein which was related to the show Portlandia. I loved the show so that's what made me interested in reading about her. Had never heard of her or her former band before Portlandia. Checked out a few clips on Youtube and was kinda meh to me. Does anyone know if there's going to be more Portlandia in the future?

Last edited:
NPR just posted a killer Sleater-Kinney show on youtube.

I learned about Sleater-Kinney after watching Portlandia and checking out other stuff Carrie Brownstein had done... tried listening to a couple albums at random but didn't know where to start and it never caught my ear.

This show definitely changed my opinion! I love how melodic the music is, but not in an obvious way. Just cool little understated riffs everywhere, underneath some powerful vocals. I dig it!

b80

Thanks for posting the live show. Love listening to live stuff! Great band!

Sun Creature

Anyone know what is on Carrie's board? I know she used to use mainly Boss Overdrives with a Roland fuzz and a DL-4 during the woods tour.

b80

I would also be interested in their pedal boards. I think Carrie used a Blues Driver for a bit. I haven't seen many photos though.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I would also be interested in their pedal boards. I think Carrie used a Blues Driver for a bit. I haven't seen many photos though.
Saw the show here in Vancouver last night. Awesome show - they rocked very hard (and loud). Best show I've seen from them out of the 4 or 5 times I've seen them live. The room was sold out, and the audience was high energy.

All that Carrie had on stage was an amp (a Music Man) and one of the smaller RJM controllers. Didn't see a rack anywhere near - may have been at the side of the stage where her tech station was. No surprises guitar-wise - the SG, the Guild SG with Bigsby, and those thinline teles she's been playing lately on TV appearances.

Corin played her P90 LP, mostly playing bass lines (I assume the whammy pedal was doing the -8ve?). For one track she took off the guitar and held the mic - first time I've ever seen her do that - and the 4th (touring) member, who played a mix of keys and guitar and sat out most of the older songs, covered Corin's guitar part. Sorry I didn't get a good look at Corin's board, other than the Whammy pedal.

Janet was so good - she seems to get better every tour. Most kits sound like crap at super high volume levels, but this kit actually still sounded like acoustic drums with dynamics, even though it was very loud. When the guitars aren't on 10 all the time and there's not cranked bass guitar the whole time, I suppose it's easier to give the drums some breathing room dynamically.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom