Any Sparkle Drive copies without the following issues?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el supermanny, Mar 23, 2014.

1. el supermanny

el supermanny Member

So I have now had a Sparke Drive for a while now. It's a great pedal. Definitely one of the most useful overdrives I have ever had. The ability to mix the clean and dirt through one single are amazing. I'm so used to it now that mixing clean and dirt is part of my technique.

However, the Sparkle Drive has to short comings. 1. the switch is not known for its durability. It's a known problem that VooDoo Labs pedal switches die quick. 2. The switch and the knobs are WAY too close together. If I'm not directly looking at where I'm stoping, then hit the knobs (and move them) a lot of the time. Not exactly a good lay out for "rocking the phuc out."

I'm curious if there is a copy to the Sparke Drive with a much better lay out and better switch?

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Selah Scarlett Love V2's gain knob automatically blends the clean and dirty signal but its only one knob, there is no separate knob for the amount of clean you want. The switch and construction of the pedal are quality. The switch is also nice because it is on the bottom right corner of the pedal and far away from the knobs. It has 3 clipping options, TS, clean boost, and plexi. It works really well as a low-medium first gain stage or a stacker.

3. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

you could use a boss ls-2 to set up a parallel clean signal with any drive of your choice and turn it on and off with the boss footswitch.

4. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Or just put the sparkle drive in a loop of the ls-2 and use the boss switch to control it.

5. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

The Sparkle Drive MOD has a new switch, soft compared to the old, the knobs are further away from the switch are smaller and "harder" to dial. Take's the same space on your board.

6. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

VLs had issues with the switches many years ago...the rest is internet folklore. Seems strange to want to change your pedal for a problem you haven't experienced.

If the knobs are really that easy to knock, invest a dollar in buying some washers to stop settings from being kicked out of place?! :dunno

7. Parazyd

Parazyd Member

My Sparkle Drive has a faulty(ish) switch. It works but sometimes it lowers the signal and gets quiet, which requires me to step on it again.

8. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

The switch is easy to replace with a solid Switccraft, if that is a problem for you. For the knobs, if you are setting and forgetting, just tape them down. I also saw an ad in this month's Premier Guitar for rubber washers one can put under knobs to make them harder to accidentally turn. That might help.

9. Parazyd

Parazyd Member

Switccraft? Got a link?

10. Mothman

Mothman Member

I've had a good number of older VL pedals over the years. On most, yes, the switch did ultimately fail. VL has replaced them all for free... even on pedals I bought used, or on discontinued models.

Also, even though it is a bit of a pain to deal with, the switches do not fail catastrophically (i.e., instantly and decisively). It's a gradual fritzing out that can be remedied for a short while with shots of contact cleaner. The point being, you'll know in advance if it's going to happen.

11. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

I actually had a problem with a new Sparkle Drive's switch going bad on me with less than 6 months' use, and this only happened last year. Before that, though, my previous Sparkle Drive functioned as my main OD perfectly for years and with no problems.

12. el supermanny

el supermanny Member

Hey thanks for the heads up! I didn't really pay attention to this. This pedal looks really awesome. Yeah the knobs are a lot farther away from the switch.

Except that I am experiencing this issue. Hence why I'm bringing up the topic...

Yeah mine is gradual. Sometimes when I disengage the pedal I'm only getting half of the volume. Sometimes it cuts the signal completely. How do I get VL to replace my switch for free? Do I just ask them to? Or should I just email them about the issue and they will offer the replacement?

13. jeffluke137

jeffluke137 Member

Maybe a used Noc3 Pure Drive?

14. theroan

theroan Member

One viable option may be the Pork Loin. Has less gain but sounds good and has a clean blend.

15. Hoot Lube

Hoot Lube Member

I'm a once user of the SD, and really loved what it did. But
    it had other shortcomings. I replaced my SD with a Way Huge
    Pork Loin.

Does all the things the SD did, but with greater control over
    the sound.

16. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

VL will fix it for free, if you ship it to them (6-8wks). Just call or email them and they will send you an RA#.

Simple solution would be to immobilize your knobs (with one of the mentioned ways) and/or get more accurate with your toe tapping.

17. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

t rex moller with boost section

18. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

This. I sold mine like a Dummy.

19. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Any issues with VL switches was solved a long time ago. In fact if you had an old pedal with issues and contacted VL they may even take care if it at no charge. They are a great company to deal with and have always been very responsive to me.

As far as the switch being too close to the knobs, that's just personal preference I guess. A little electrical tape can hold all your knob settings without issue if you are concerned with bumping them.

20. el supermanny

el supermanny Member

I'm just going to contact VL to see if they can help me with mine and possibly look into the Sparkle Drive MOD. I'll assume they fixed their switch issues on the new pedals.

At the end of the day the Sparkle Drive is the perfect combination of simplicity and versatility. Plus I found my two favorite "magic spot" settings on it. The Pork Loin looked interested until I realized how many knobs there are on that thing. I'm not a tweaker by any means, and I actually get turned off by too many controls on my gear. All the knobs on my PRRI are sometimes overwhelming for me haha.

The MOD version looks good and most importantly it seems to have a good amount of space between the knobs and the switch. I would tape down my knobs, but I switch between two difference settings on the Sparkle Drive so I can't really tape controls down into one position.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.