• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any Spiritualized/Spacemen 3/Spectrum fans

madspirit

Commenting on another thread motivated me to post this. I've been a huge Spacemen 3, Spiritualized, Spectrum, Jason Spacemen, Sonic Boom fan (especially Jason's work) since the late 80's. Top 3 favorites ever stuff. Any other fans?

mbargav

HUGE fan! My favorite show was at a place in Montreal called The Spectrum in 2001 or so (has since been torn down). This was the first leg of the Let it Come Down tour & Jason Pierce was traveling with with an orchestra. Spectrum was an old venue with a large balcony. The band was on stage and the orchestra set up on the balcony, and the effect was just insane. Most memorable concert I've ever been to.

Some favorites:

madspirit

When I see people get asked what the first song (by others) they learned to play, I usually keep quiet realizing most wouldn't know or understand mine. But, it was Suicide by Spacemen 3. I bought a $45 guitar, took LSD and I droned. Not remotely technical (especially compared to the EVH influenced guitar dudes that I knew) but I got off. Levitation via music. That's all it's ever been about for me. I'm a solid player and writer now but that's still the nut of it all for me. That shamanistic thing. Same as Neil Young says. I'm chasing magic.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
When I see people get asked what the first song (by others) they learned to play, I usually keep quiet realizing most wouldn't know or understand mine. But, it was Suicide by Spacemen 3. I bought a $45 guitar, took LSD and I droned. Not remotely technical (especially compared to the EVH influenced guitar dudes that I knew) but I got off. Levitation via music. That's all it's ever been about for me. I'm a solid player and writer now but that's still the nut of it all for me. That shamanistic thing. Same as Neil Young says. I'm chasing magic.
Awesome story.
It took me a while to catch up to Spacemen3, got turned on to Spiritualized somewhere around '96, when i was 17. But musically, i had been in that space since i was 13 or so. I often told people i was making music with that i wanted to make music to get high to, except i didn't actually do drugs at all thru my teen years. That's totally besides the point tho; i loved drones, feedback, space, echo, noise, tribal,etc. I love playing something like Suicide for 20 mins in a band, and than getting to the crashing, falling apart ending...

Anyways,i did catch up with Sp3, and i was a huge Spiritualized fan back then, tho not quite as much anymore. i do remember missing tickets to see Radiohead in '97 on the OK Comp tour, and being 100 times more pissed later when i found out Spiritualized was opening that show. Would have been the best show of my life, i believe.

These 2 are my Spiritualized essentials:

cheers

madspirit

Cool. I did do a lot of mind expansion drugs (well, LSD and mushrooms) way back in the day. But, as you said, I was already into that sort of thing musically (Doors etc...) and mentally. I just didn't play guitar yet. Spacemen 3, and perhaps oddly, The Edge from U2 were really encouraging influences on me back then. I could drone in D or A...make my way around the guitar and still be playing something that I was getting into. I learned A LOT about the importance of dynamics that way. The Edge was like this guy that kind of couldn't play "right" but somehow came up with this really cool thing on his own. By the way, and I talked about this in a different thread but, I met Jason Spacemen on that Spiritualized/Radiohead tour. Spoke to him at length about music in general. He's completely genuine about music. I still have the Ladies & Gentlemen CD (shapped like a giant packaged medicine pill) that he signed "High Times, J Spaceman". Pretty cool.

Last edited:

PosterBoy

I remember a friend lending me Laser guided melodies when it first came out, he didn't get it back for a very long time, became a fan from that 1st day

huw

Wow - I haven't listened to them for ages, but I saw them on the Laser Guided Melodies tour at (IIRC) Huddersfield Polytechnic, in a really tiny room. Good stuff - I must look that CD out.

:)

Custom Deluxe

Huge fan. In college( Albright in Reading, PA) my buddy and I booked a few shows. We booked Spectrum to play. Sonic and his band played to about 10 people. Did a ton of Spacemen 3 stuff.

Funny sound check story: The sound guy almost quit for Sonic took 25 minutes getting the echo on his vocals right. It was cool to see and hold his Vox Starstreamer.

They played When Tomorrow Hits and it just blew me away standing 10 ft away from it all going down. Hyponotic trance music.

The title of Spaceman 3's demo record says it all: Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To.

I also highly recommend Spiritualized F*ck Up Inside live CD. Kind of hard to find, but worth it.

jgyn

Huge fan. More Spacemen 3 than Spiritualized or Spectrum. Faves are Perfect Prescription and Playing With Fire.

danhedonia

Bump. I'm a huge fan, and in fact those are my liner notes on the TAANG! reissue of Perfect Prescription. If you're not familiar, it's quite a story, basically about how I was willing to take a lot of risks to simply reclaim my copy of the then out-of-print album.

As recent Austin Psychfests have featured both Spectrum (impossibly good) and Spiritualized (meh) performances, you may wish to attend for vibe's sake. I hung out with Will Caruthers a bit at last years, and my wife says his book ("A Book of Jobs") is terrific.

I first saw the Spacement in 1987 (?) at the Rat in Boston, and geez, it was loud and druggy and all kinds of intense goodness. The catalog over the years has been profound in terms of shaping my thoughts about and approach to music. A few years ago I remember playing the Wooden Shjips for a musician friend, and he smiled and just looked at me and said "Man, you just looooooooooooooooooove the drone, don't you?" Yes; yes, I do.

Would love to connect with others who continue to chase musical magic in the vein of these guys.

danhedonia

I got an Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom pedal put together by Jon Curl - it's a terrific pedal, combining boost, fuzz and repeater. Overall terrific, but oddly the part that stands out is the boost - probably the best boost sound I've heard for vintage Fenders since ... well, I hate comparison cork-sniffing, so I'll just say it's a remarkable boost.

I popped here after doing an internet search for something else - I'm incredibly glad to see how many recognize and enjoy the musical achievements of the Spacemen and all of their woolly children.

danhedonia

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Terrible photo, but that's the Sonic Boom in red .... let me know if you'd like better pics.

adolan

Love Spacemen 3 a few friends turned me on to them and Spectrum years ago...great music to work to while being creative :) Not as big a fan of Spiritualized as Spacemen 3 and Spectrum but all good stuff...That Sonic Boom pedal!?? great sutff from the demos i see...WANT

Oh and fwiw, yes>>best Album title ever

Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to...

Nothing beats that title, hands down :)

flume

Double Platinum Member
Never got into them despite effort...but totally got into both Darkside discs.

Odd.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom