Any strat players who play gibsons?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Is it me or is playing a LP or SG after being use to a Fender or smth similar REALLY awkward!!!???????? How did you overcome that?????????

2. Brien

Brien Member

Start by going up a string gauge on the Gibson. That evens out the string tension between the two.

3. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

It is different, but I switch up enough to where it's not as noticeable. I own a LP and a LP-type Gretsch (Jet) and I find myself liking those but I go through phases where I love the feel of my Strat. I play in some different bands with other guitar players where I switch off what I use to complement the other player. I know many on here prefer to stick with a type and wear that out. Look at pro players. Clapton played Gibsons for a while and then when he focused solo, he got on Strats and pretty much has been there ever since.

4. thintele

thintele Member

yeah, its pretty akward at first...different neck profiles, different scale, different radius, frets, different,different, different. Just keep playing it and you'll become more acoustomed to it... although I don't know if I could ever get used to those big a** 50s necks.

5. groovadelic

groovadelic Member

I did after messing around for years trying to get the fat tone and sustain out of a strat with pickups. It took a couple of weeks... now I wish my strat "felt" like the paul.

6. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

This is good advice, also when you play them at home, try to alternate between the 2 every other song alot. Do this for a couple of months and you'll start even choosing which ones you want on a perticular song. Its not as bad at 1st. A few months and it will get better it will however always feel different sorta like going from your favorite pick up truck to a Porche..

Good luck!

7. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

The neck on my EJ strat is alot more similiar to a Gibson so its not that much of a difference transitioning between the two.

8. M67Chucker

M67Chucker Member

I play both and love the difference in tone each one gives me. One thing that I did do to make them both play easier for me is have the same luthier set them up. I honestly don't notice as a big difference in playability since I had them set up, but before that it was a night and day difference.

My $.02

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I like the difference. Never slowed me down.

Mike

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I swap back and forth between a '61 strat and a '66 ES-335 all the time. Far from awkward, it's a blast to feel how different and distinct they are from one another. Both strung with .11s. Both are extremely easy players, both refretted and well setup. Strings on the Gibson feel a touch looser I guess. The Fender is a bit more precise in chording. Either one is the best instrument of all, depending on the day.

11. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I have an R9 LP and a 56CS Strat. I go back in forth with no problem. Both have good sized necks ,medium low action and the same gauge strings. Honestly once I'm playing they don't feel that different. I've had strats with 9.5 and 12 radii and they felt way too stiff with .

12. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I got a Johnny A recently, and all the awkwardness I've felt for years of switching between Fenders and Gibsons is gone. The difference in scale length has always been tough for me to just take in stride. I can roll with differences in neck profile and fret dimensions, plank vs arched tops, etc., so the JA is a Godsend for me in this respect. I can put away my ES- with no regrets.

All that said, I still want an R6 or R7. Makes perfect sense, don't it!

13. acwild

acwild Member

I'm a fresh convert and am very happy to have finally found a Gibson that I can relate to. The new 2008 LP Standard has all the right specs that I've been looking for and doesn't weigh a ton. Although I did have reservations about the thicker neck, it only took a short time to get used to it. Now I love the profile and shares the number one slot with my Strats.
    Les Pauls have some tones that I just couldn't get with other guitars (and I own a bunch). It compliments the Strat perfectly, imo.

14. Boomer

Boomer Member

I have a Lentz and a Dot. Both have large necks. I play 10's on the SSL and 11's on the Dot. I haven't changed guitars during practices prefering to just play one or the other. I'm primariily a bass player or rhythm guitar player but switching from 25.5" to 24.625" or whatever the actual scale length is hasn't been a problem.

15. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

For me the bridge is so weird to get used to. 2 years ago, I was set on a 61 RI SG Gibson, until I played a couple in the music store.... then I thought, geez these don't have the feel I thought they would!

16. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

The key is to switch guitars fairly often. I switch between my Tele, Les Paul and Strat enough so that each feels different, yet familiar and comfortable. For instance if I have practice during the week, I may play the Les Paul or Strat and then switch to another for the gig. The TELE will always be my main gigging axe though.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I never notice it being strange unless its been quite a while.
    Funny though, the LP's seem different until I play them a lttle while but I'm at home right away on the 335's.

Got to have both!

18. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Member

I always have to keep heavier strings on my SG in order to maintain some sort of equilibrium between it and the strat...10's on the Strat, 11's on the SG.
    Works for me.

19. pnorman

pnorman Member

I had severe problems when switching back and forth between Fender and Gibson...but over the last few years I discovered something. I got rid of guitars with thin necks and replaced them with same type but equipped with meaty necks. Now I fall in love with the guitar every time I pick it up - wow what a neck! It's much easier to overlook other differences if you have a really nice, fat neck to grab.......naturally, if you like those :love:

I'm sorry if this does not make any sense to you....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  20. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I just had to say this is a great post to read, esp since I am a Les Paul guy who switched to Strats and Teles lol