Any Studio Musicians Here?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by desire machine, Sep 6, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Member

there's no real studio musician scene anymore...they all work in their "home offices" these days (Michael Thompson, Tim Pierce etc.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Look up Dave Pierce's youtube channel, on the Marty Music or Pappa Roach channels is Dave does a tour of his studio with his amp cabinet isolation room/mics and how he is set up. He does a lot of track recording at his home studio and uploads it to the client's studio guy.

Scott's Bass youtube channel interviewed a long time bass sessionist and the guy said don't show up to a session without a P-bass because otherwise they send you home and call the next guy on the list.

Maybe try contacting Rick Beato and the guy at spectral sound studios (Ontario) about their take on the industry. Perhaps the Pensado's Place channel guy too.

I remember when Brian Adams had been writing a slew of songs back in the 80s and the studios were not buying any of them. So he self produced his first record and had all those top hits off that record that set him up as a star for decades since.

That note previously about Fiverr ... this was an attempt at song creation, but it is only likely to get better. Recording gear is so good and relatively inexpensive these days that nearly anyone can have a studio. This is what you are competing with.

3. derekd

derekd Member

Very interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

I wasn't aware of Fiverr.

With regard to studio work, the little I've done over the years is because of relationships and guys who like something I do.

Could be as simple as chugging 8th note power chords, a little bit of slide, or mandolin parts. I've never been on anything big, just random parts on small projects. Some were paid, some done as favors because they led to paid gigs.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Caveat...in previously thriving music metropoles like LA.
    Plus a bunch of the LA guys went to Nashville. Where it's still existing...as is in other parts of the world.

GovernorSilver likes this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell

i've played on more records & film-scores than i can remember, and i'm kinda still going; no, i'm def still going.

i learned early-on that i needed to suss out what i, personally, was good at, and i made efforts to stick with sessions and projects wherein my own creative approach to the guitar (and sound) was more important to the people/session than simply playing copycat-flavors-of-the-moment; iow, i knew that i wanted to be invited/hired to play like me, not copy someone else. (luckily --- well, experientially, really --- i'm conversant with many "styles" of music, anyway.)

that said, maybe the session scene will come around, again, one day; for now, i suggest meeting as many artists & working musicians as possible, play gigs, make your already-existing work known to them & others, study your instrument(s) and music and broaden your scope asap, build a functional little home-studio & regularly let the folks you're interested-in know that you're ready to play/help/collaborate/etc.
    and keep doing that, forever and ever amen.

6. desire machine

desire machine Member

I was thinking of studio work as potentially being something to supplement being a gigging musicians. I’m currently in tribute band that hopefully will make some money, I’m thinking I’ll build my chops through that and make you tube channel and resume vid of me playing different styles and work towards guitar being able to be my full time job whether that be gigging sessions, teaching or whatever.

I don’t think I’d be a good teacher tho, or rather I wouldn’t enjoy teaching. Being able to be the guitarist in the backup band for some pop artist I think would be fun and what I’d be good at. So my hope is to be able to work my way up to be associated with and play with big artists that would allow me to live comfortably playing guitar. Maybe that won’t happen but worse case guitar remains a hobby that might bring in a lil money.

7. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

Nashville is pretty much impossible to break into. If you're unknown and you don't have a referral from one of the in-demand session guys who is overloaded with work you're not going to get hired. They use the same session players on everything because studios want someone who they know can get a great sound and play a nice part while reading a chart on a 1st take.

Guitar_Gangsta likes this.
  8. Guitar_Gangsta

Guitar_Gangsta Member

the "studio session" guy thing is now getting on fiverr.

desire machine likes this.
  9. Rob G

Rob G Member

I have a story about a session I was doing at Bad Robot studios. The engineer asked me to play on an 80's style rock track and dialed in a Marshall Plexi tone on his Kemper. We did a take and he said I played the parts fine but the tone wasn't quite right. He changed the mic placement and room settings on the Kemper and we did a few more takes. Still he didn't think the tone was quite right.

All of a sudden he gets this lightbulb moment look on his face and tells me he has a real vintage Marshall Plexi in the back room, already mic-ed up!! So he switches it on, brings up the fader on the console and we record one take and he says the tone is perfect. Done. ;)

10. Ed DeGenaro

Like it's different any where else... :)

11. Ed DeGenaro

We shall see how that goes...

12. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

To an extent, it's worse in Nashville than most places.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. Guitar_Gangsta

Guitar_Gangsta Member

i didn't say that was a good thing, but in the absence of a job market, people are finding another way around

14. Ed DeGenaro

I'm not questioning it's validity. As I said in an earlier post when esessions.com tried it they did it right and it didn't fly.
    Guys that have business doing this can be found easily without paying a share to site overpopulated by amateurs and semi-pros.
    And what's more important stuff is geographically separated regardless of ftp servers and session sites.
    Who is gonna hire a country guy from Serbia or a Jazz guy from Ukraine when they can just as easily send their tracks to the guys they want.
    The supposed job market it creates is really for guys that don't do it as job.
    As I said in the Professional Musician thread it used to be easy to figure who "belongs"...

15. Ed DeGenaro

To be clearer when LA was all about sessions it was like that. In Bollywood and Kollywood same thing...
    So yes Nashville is worse than other cities since they actually still have a scene.
    But point was that usually your way in anywhere is cause someone already working it recs you.