1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Any studio recommendations in Cleveland/N Ohio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hitchcockblonde, Jan 12, 2006.

1. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Member

I don't know if this is the right forum, so please move this post if that's the case.

Basic original rawk/indie/power pop band. Guitar/vox (me), bass, keyboard (piano/organ/one synth sound) and drums. We are getting tight fast as a band since I already roughly demo'd everything I wrote in the past. Plus I have some potential allies for pressing and/or distributing any CD 'cos they already like my songs.

So, we'd like to find a studio where we can record a batch of four songs as demos, then go back in two other sessions a few months apart and do two more batches of four. End result, a 12-song CD.

More of what we're looking for...

An engineer who's sympathetic to a rock 'n' roll sound as opposed to more poppy.

A live-sounding, good-sized room for drums, and someone who likes a simple drum mic setup. Our drummer's a big Bonham fan and plays a 60s Ludwig kit with a 26-inch kick, big toms, big cymbals.

Good vocal mics and pres.

Overall a mix a bit like Oasis on What's the Story (Morning Glory) in a way... all the instruments a bit diffused in the mix, kinda like a loud band on a stage in a big room.

And since the goal is a CD in the end that sounds not to wildly inconsistent, we'll nedd to work with someone who can take good notes and recreate the basic sound from session to session. :)

Anyone from the Cleveland area have advice? I only recently moved up here so my contacts are next to zero! Thanks...

2. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

You can try Zeta Recording. Holland Ohio (near Toledo Ohio)

http://zetamedia.com/

I have recorded there and Jim is a great guy. I don't know about rates as I just played on the session, I didn't book it.

3. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Member

Thanks for the advice, TheArchitect. We're also going to check out Ante Up next week.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

My best friend owns C-Town sound 216-765-8197
    His name is Jon aka Guggy
    He was an engineer in LA and has worked at Telarc

Tell Him Hoke sent you

5. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

My band recorded at TrackSix Studios in Cleveland.He has great rates a great place.And Brandon is a great guy.Simple mic set up for the drums also.Stay away from Spider studios those dudes were too pushy and i felt rushed when i was recording there.They seem like the type if your not well know then the hell with ya.

email info@tracksix.com